Remove this Banner Ad

Sly77

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2001
Vic - Qld - Vic - yep peoples I'm back!
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Story from my weekend.

Flight from Melb to Bris and we were beginning our decent, fair bit of turbulance - so not a smooth decent. All the tv's and radio channels had been turned off and its pretty quiet, and then classical music comes out of all the speakers.

My initial reaction - oh no - music to die to :eek: It was a horrible feeling - and then I came to my senses and realised that's what movies have drummed into me.

A lot of my fave classical pieces have been used in movies for people to die to - that Titanic piece (if anyone can tell me what it is I'll love u forever!) and Adagio by Albinoni (Gallipoli) are a few.

Does anyone else ever have experiences like this?

What Titanic bit of music are you referring to precisely Sly77

I know the film reasonably well, and also like Classical Music a bit too, so maybe I could help you out there ...

I know what you are talking about though, its a game I like to play sometimes - "spot the classical piece" is good fun.

It helps if you like Clasiical Music - which I do. But I'm no snob, I like all kinds of music.

Albinnoin Adagio in Gallipoli is absolutely brilliant - the sombre and heart wrenching tune fits in perfectly with the grim hell on earth being experienced by the young Australian boys in the trenches.

Always happy to talk about Classical music with anyone really - and maybe with a dedicated Music borad we could do more of it.

cheers

Originally posted by Bloodstained Angel

Always happy to talk about Classical music with anyone really - and maybe with a dedicated Music borad we could do more of it.

cheers

yeah. BTW I wish I had more time cause halftix.com.au recently has been constantly emailing me with Sydney Symphony & other classical performances for Cheap prices $20 etc. If you like doing it live you should check them out.

Originally posted by Bloodstained Angel
What Titanic bit of music are you referring to precisely Sly77

When the ship goes down and the strings quartet (?cant remember how many) make the decision to go down playing - its the final piece they play.

Albinnoin Adagio in Gallipoli is absolutely brilliant - the sombre and heart wrenching tune fits in perfectly with the grim hell on earth being experienced by the young Australian boys in the trenches.

[/B]

Brings tears to my eyes every time I listen to it

It makes me laugh how people say classical is crap - or just pretend their interested in it to sound "cool". Most people wouldnt even realise they're hearing classical pieces constantly in TV ads, movies, even footy theme songs, and my most hated - mobile phone rings! I swear if Nokia dont delete Bachs Badeneri from their ring selection I'm going to scream!!!

gee Sly77 - I'm a bit stumped there !

A verified historical fact of the shipwreck is that the Ships Band (it wasn't a String Quartet in the strict sense) played the hymn "Nearer My God to Me" as the ship went down.

I almost certain that this is the piece you are thinking of.

Unless they played something else ? - I can't quite recall exactly the scene from the movie.

- Was the music played by the band ? - if so it was almost certainly "Nearer My God to Me"

- Was it background soundtrack music ? - If so it could have been anything, like I said my memory of the exact scene is too hazy !

As you might of guessed - I'm a Titanic freak :rolleyes:

cheers

Titanic freak - or just plain old freak :D

Well the scene is where the strings finish playing a bright and bubblly piece, then start packing up. Then they make a decision to go down playing and play this piece. The piece continues on as background music whilst they show shots of the boat sinking.

I dont think its a hymn - dont they sing that hymn you mentioned when they're in the church earlier in the day?????

Whilst I am not a fan of the movie Sly, I'm pretty sure BSA is right. It was "Nearer My God To Thee" that is the last song the band plays.

Originally posted by Sly77
Does anyone else ever have experiences like this?

I seem to associate certain songs with girls I've known in the past. I remember hearing a little bit of This Mortal Coil's version of "You And Your Sister" and suddenly started to feel quite unhappy.....the feeling puzzled me for a second until I remembered that the song was "the song" between myself and an old girlfriend.

But there are also positive feelings.....like hearing Primal Scream's "Don't Fight It, Feel It" which always reminds me of one of my favourite summers......

I often have albums that remind me of books I've read.
:confused:

When I read novels, I usually go all out and read every waking spare moment I have, and thus finish books pretty quickly. Usually whilst reading I put music on as well, and will often put the cd on repeat.

Thus by the time I've realised it, I've been reading for 5 hours, and listened to a CD 8 times.

Hearing that CD again later on will often trigger memories of books for that reason I guess!

Strange I know!

Re: Re: Music and its effects

Originally posted by Shinboners

I seem to associate certain songs with girls I've known in the past. I remember hearing a little bit of This Mortal Coil's version of "You And Your Sister" and suddenly started to feel quite unhappy.....the feeling puzzled me for a second until I remembered that the song was "the song" between myself and an old girlfriend.

But there are also positive feelings.....like hearing Primal Scream's "Don't Fight It, Feel It" which always reminds me of one of my favourite summers......

I'm quite like that too.

Often, I will listen to albums I really like (apart from the ones I listen to all the time), at roughly the same time, for the same amount of time, every year.

For instance, my Joy Division records seem to get a run every spring, when the weather is eerily changing from cold, overcast skies, to hot, sunny ones.

Likewise, R.E.M. are always better to be listen to in the summer, away from the city, as opposed to The Verve, whom I listen to during winter on my way to, and from uni.

Like reading books, some/most albums seem to have a special time to be listened to.

Music creates emotion,I love the piano soundtrack of The Firm.

Lalo Schrifrins work in the 60's and 70's especially those Clint Eastwood classics.

Movies would be pretty boring without music.

How about the strings in the movie Psycho,iconic soundtrack.

When I listen to 70's symph prog,everything around me is magical,I feel spiritual,no drugs ,I don't do drugs,well,alcohol.
The 90's alt always reminds me of beaches,driving through the Vic bush,the Great Ocean Road through those iconic seaside towns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love feeling nostalgic and wistful - music ramps this up big time.

Been keeping playlists of all the songs I've been predominantly listening to every year for about 10 years and really enjoy revisiting what I was listening to at those moments in time. Thinking about my personal situation, what I was doing for work, who I was hanging out with, where I was living etc.

As much time to reflect as it is a chance to enjoy some tunes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back