Opinion Music at the footy

Preferred in game song.?

• Sweet Caroline Neil Diamond

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Hells Bells - ACDC

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m imagining some of our out there fellas like McInerney and Blakey going berko after they kicked the sealer…Angus Young would be in awe at the imitations.
Don't ask me how I know this, but Blakey knows every lyric to How Bizarre.

Maybe that could be his celebration song.

tbf, I have no clue SC is linked to the BRS…….most at the SCG probably in the same boat. It drives crowd engagement so just let it go. I bet if it wasn’t played now the outcry would be large.

Don’t the Dees use Hells bells?

Anyways do we really want to be like the Lions where every player has a song that plays after they kick a goal?

Also im still cut that the Swans got rid of the instrumental for Kanye West - Black Skinhead 1 minute before the Swans run out to the field. That song pumps up the crowd like crazy. Sad they got rid of it.

Like gambling ads and overbearing noisy ground announcers, it seems music at the footy is here to stay.

No offence to Jewelsbon who loves Sweet Caroline and related a lovely story about taking her BFF Leeeeeg fan to the SCG

BUT

That song whatever we think about it is indelibly linked the Boston Red Sox. I’d hope we could be less derivative.

Id prefer we went down a different route.

I suggest we pay a big sum inc to Bon Scots heirs and play the opening riffs of the Bells tolling in ACDC’s tribute to Bon when the game is squarely in our favour in the last quarter
I can see it now

View attachment shot-missed.mp4

Don't mind music being played at quarter time, half time, etc. Just stop playing it after every goal. We don't need to create artificial atmosphere like the Gold Coast or Brisbane.
Exactly this. No music between goals. Play it to your hearts content at breaks. I would much prefer to tap my feet or belt out a tune at half time than watch a whole bunch of people feel forced to kiss on a big screen or embarrass themselves with their lack of kicking or marking skills. Prefer to watch the Auskick kids try and fend each other off, only to trip over their oversized jersey and crack the shits until the ball comes in their direction and they spring up again.

Personally all the music at the game is just white noise to me now, but I find it hilarious how upset some people get when Sweet Caroline gets played the at SCG. For that reason I hope we continue to play Sweet Caroline
I agree, I used to hate but now I look forward to it!!

It’s so bad, it’s now actually good!!

Who can forget Hugh Sheridan v Magpies!! Lol we gotta own it now!!

It is all about some Marketing Genius who decided that music would "Enhance the Match Day Experience".
Wherever we go, someone is Enhancing our Experience with music. All this comes at a time when anybody with a phone, ie nearly everyone, has access to every piece of recorded music in history, and can listen quietly (or in some cases, not so quietly) to anything they want.
But Marketing Genius reckons we will all enjoy everything so much more if we listen to what they reckon is enjoyable, so in that way our Experience is Enhanced.
In previous years this led to the SCG thinking that while we wait for the members gates to open, we need music Enhancing our Waiting Experience coming from the speakers over the entrance. At the same time, Marketing Genius 2 (Hons) determines that an Army band would Enhance our Experience more.
Thus our Experience was Enhanced from two opposite directions, resulting in an aural assault not heard since the mayor of Hiroshima said "what the * is that?".
It's everywhere. Shopping centre management, under advice from Marketing Genius 3 (bullshitology major) puts the music on. In the meantime every ******* tenant does likewise. The Experience is then Enhanced by a cacophony from multiple directions.
In the UK, some shopping centres are having "quiet times", when they switch everything off. Sounds (see what I did there?) like bliss to me.
Then there's that blonde chick and her mate interviewing someone during the breaks, Enhancing my Experience. The sound is so bad that I can't understand a word she's saying, while it appears to be some drivel about another a-hole who can't catch a footy.
All the while the crowd is shouting to make themselves heard when simply asking their friends about the health of their friend's spouse and offspring, or, FFS, talking about the game.

I feel better now.

Sweet Caroline is played to cheer up the crowd.

And if we’re winning, the crowd shouldn’t need cheering up.

Sweet Caroline therefore assumes we are going to be losing.

Which is a loser’s mentality.

And a successful team does not have a loser’s mentality.

Which is why Sweet Caroline is solely to blame any time we lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t the Dees use Hells bells?

Anyways do we really want to be like the Lions where every player has a song that plays after they kick a goal?

Also im still cut that the Swans got rid of the instrumental for Kanye West - Black Skinhead 1 minute before the Swans run out to the field. That song pumps up the crowd like crazy. Sad they got rid of it.

It was soo good. Need music that pumps up the crowd, not some sweet caroline campfire song bullshit.

Back