Remove this Banner Ad

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brighton & HA, Boston Celtics
Having just watched a rather good documentary about the artist Rodriguez called "Searching for Sugar Man" I was wondering if the people of BF could recommend some other music docos worth watching?

my mate has been all over me about searching for suger man. it sounds sweet.

it was weird cause when he saw that doco, i was reading a book called wonderland avenue by danny sugerman, who become a manager for ray manzerek after the break up of the doors and looked after iggy pop in his formative years. so i just thought they were related but not even related in the slightest. still haven't seen the doco but that's juts cause i'm a lazy campaigner.

seen a few of those "making of" [album] and most of them are pretty sweet. i really enjoyed the pink floyd dark side of the moon. but the best of the lot without a doubt was fleetwood mac's rumours. semi fan of them but can take them or leave them. but that doco was wicked. so much shagging from every direction.

Yeah, Dig is a gem.

This bad boy is the best music doco. Right up your ally, Smitty.

220px-Twenty_four_hour_party_people_po.jpg

• Banned
This bad boy is the best music doco. Right up your ally, Smitty.

220px-Twenty_four_hour_party_people_po.jpg

Watched that bad boy many a time Evo. Fave moment is when the real and older Howard Devoto looks into the camera and states "I definitely don't remember this happening" upon seeing a young version of himself banging Wilson's ex misssus in the toilets.

• Banned
my mate has been all over me about searching for suger man. it sounds sweet.

Knew almost nothing about him before I watched the doco.

So it was a very interesting watch to see how everything unfolded.

• Banned
I saw the Anvil one in the list of 100 top music/arts flavoured docos on rotten tomatoes.

Will check it out :thumbsu:

American Masters - The Doors - When You're Strange isn't a bad doco as far as Doors docos go.

Lemmy

Not a massive Motorhead fan (because let's face it, they have 1 good song and all the rest are weaker versions of the same song) but this doco is pretty bloody good.

Stones in Exile

A snapshot of The Stones recording Exile on Main St in the basement of Richards' watefront mansion in the south of France. 10/10 for this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two things I was gonna post (Gimme Shelter and Beatles Anthology) have been posted.

But I thought of another one, if you're a guitar player (or like guitar music) check out It Might Get Loud - not flawless but interesting nonetheless. And No Direction Home, if you're a Dylan fan. Maybe even if you're not.

Dig. Follows the Dandy Warhols and the supremely talented yet self destructive Anton Newcombe from The Brian Jonestown Massacre.

10/10

I second this. It is also freely available on YouTube to watch. Anton Newcombe is a brilliant musician - too bad that he is a total narcissistic loony.

American Masters - The Doors - When You're Strange isn't a bad doco as far as Doors docos go.

Seconded. Not a massive Doors fan, but this is good.

The Man They Made God (Hendrix) isn't bad, but falls for the usual superficial traps. Nobody's come close to a definitive Hendrix doco.

Watched a great Freddy mercury one the other week. Heavily focused on his solo career and his opera days. Really heavily focused on a song called Barcelona. No idea what it was called but man it was good.

Watched a great Freddy mercury one the other week. Heavily focused on his solo career and his opera days. Really heavily focused on a song called Barcelona. No idea what it was called but man it was good.

Think it was The Great Pretender. I watched that too and really enjoyed it

Think it was The Great Pretender. I watched that too and really enjoyed it
Thats the one, thank you. Any Freddy Mercury fans should watch this.

Stones in Exile

A snapshot of The Stones recording Exile on Main St in the basement of Richards' watefront mansion in the south of France. 10/10 for this one.

I absolutely ******* hated this.

If you want a real glimpse at what it was like at the time read Robert Greenfield's book. This doco was rubbish. I got so annoyed with all the random people talking about the album. The whole point of the movie is to talk about the period of 1972 where they were at Nellcote; I couldn't give a * what Liz Phair or Will I Am have to say about it. I didn't understand why it was Jagger and Watts walking around Nellcote talking about everything when that whole ablum revolved around Keith.

It's not so much a documentary, but if you want actual footage of the s**t the Stones got up to, watch ********** Blues instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back