Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
Just watched the one of the best music docs I've ever seen, about the legendary George Rrurrambu of the Warumpi Band, one of the greatest frontmen in the history of music. Still available to watch on ABC iView for the next 7 days. If you love this country, do not miss this. For black fellas and white fellas :thumbsu::cool:

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/42986

Watched this one last night, it was fantastic. Hopefully it will turn up for sale in ABC shops at some point. I managed to capture the audio (I like listening to music dodos on my iPod) but couldn't get a video capture to work.

There was a bit where Neil Murray was talking about a blow up they had after a gig in Perth, and the band finally ended soon after - that was the one and only time I got to see them. I did get the impression both onstage and afterwards talking to Neil that there was a level of frustration building there. But I did get my Too much Humbug CD signed!

Sep 13, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Luton Town, 36ers,
Watched this one last night, it was fantastic. Hopefully it will turn up for sale in ABC shops at some point. I managed to capture the audio (I like listening to music dodos on my iPod) but couldn't get a video capture to work.

There was a bit where Neil Murray was talking about a blow up they had after a gig in Perth, and the band finally ended soon after - that was the one and only time I got to see them. I did get the impression both onstage and afterwards talking to Neil that there was a level of frustration building there. But I did get my Too much Humbug CD signed!

Just watched it..was great, i think its sad ypthey didnt get the accolades they deserve from "my island home"

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast

You can order the DVD from the ABC Online shop for $19.99 :thumbsu:

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
New Hendrix doco being screened in the US on November 5, and released same day on DVD and Blu-ray (Nov 8 here). Think the doco is targeted at the uninitiated, and the "bonus disc" containing footage not seen for 45 years is for the hard-core fan.

Doco trailer:

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
New Hendrix doco being screened in the US on November 5, and released same day on DVD and Blu-ray (Nov 8 here). Think the doco is targeted at the uninitiated, and the "bonus disc" containing footage not seen for 45 years is for the hard-core fan.

Doco trailer:

There are 2 versions; the Beeb version is only 90 minutes, the PBS version is 2 hours. I've seen the PBS version, brilliant.

What did ya think blackshadow? I couldnae stop the tears from rollin' down my cheeks when they played The Enmore. Triumphant!
Was a ripper of a doco, I didn't quite get teared up but certainly a moving story.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
There are 2 versions; the Beeb version is only 90 minutes, the PBS version is 2 hours. I've seen the PBS version, brilliant.

Yeah it's quite good given Hendrix is a difficult subject and the existing interview footage isn't fantastic (and his managers and most of his bandmates have passed on). Glossed over a few inconvenient bits like the reason Hendrix joined the army (arrested in a stolen car) and only hinted at the drug use, but I enjoyed that it focused on him as a very serious, dedicated musician. Showing how the individual guitar parts came together to produce the sound on Little Wing was an enlightening glimpse into his genius. Kathy Etchingham's exclusion due to some sort of political spat with the Hendrix estate was very noticeable.

The 'bonus footage' was the main reason for me buying the DVD and I watched it first. A good package in that it contains something for all levels of fandom. The Miami footage was of course amazing, and even the Randall's Island stuff was better than expected (though I'm not much of a fan of the Billy Cox era).

That ABC 1 9-30 Sunday night timeslot for docos has become a ripper timeslot.

Watched the George Rrurrambu, Paul Kelly and Sunnyboys docos and they were all great. In between the Rrurrambu and Kelly ones was the Autopsy of a Dream doco made in 1968 by an Aussie for the BBC about the building of the Opera House. The film after being shown in the UK was destroyed because the NSW government didn't like it and it was never shown in Oz. But earlier this year a copy was found.

I agree with George Rrurrambu, he and the Warumpi Band should have performed My Island home at the Sydney Olympics. They should have performed something, at least Blackfella Whitefella at the closing ceremony. Only saw them once but have seen Neil Murray about 20 times. But I would have liked to see the black Elvis launched onto the world stage.

Paul Kelly doco showed what a great body of work he has done over many genres over 3.5 decades. Also showed how complex a character he is especially those early days.

The Sunnyboy was a beautiful doco about Jeremy Oxley's struggle with schizophrenia and the love and support of his brother Peter, wife Mary, mum and dad and other family and friends. Geez it was hard to watch at times.

I taped tonight's ABC doco David Bowie The Making of a an Icon and will watch it in the next few days. Also taped tonight's Michael Hutchence - The Loved One on Max tonight and will watch that this week.

SBS had 2 series covering 4 albums in both series called Great Australian Albums.

http://www.sbs.com.au/shop/product/category/DVDs/248/Great-Australian-Albums-Box-Set
Overview
Great Australian Albums is a documentary series that examines four of the all-time classic Australian albums:
  • (I'm) Stranded by The Saints
  • Born Sandy Devotional by The Triffids
  • Woodface by Crowded House
  • Diorama by Silverchair
Unlike any Australian music documentary before it, Great Australian Albums dives headlong into the creative process, uncovers the creative goals the artists set for themselves, and reveals how they were achieved. As becomes quickly apparent, none of these albums were easy to make and each artist were faced with their own hurdles, be they creative, personal, emotional, financial, physical or political.
http://www.sbs.com.au/shop/product/category/DVDs/248/Great-Australian-Albums-Box-Set
and Season 2
16 Lovers Lane by the Go-Betweens
The Murder Ballads by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Human Frailty by Hunters and Collectors
Odyssey #5 by Powderfinger
I found the Go-Betweens doco and Nick Cave doco the best ones. The Go-Betweens in particular was pretty revealing and raw probably because it was done a year or two after Grant McLennan's death and the relationships between the male and female members of the band.

I was a big fan of BBC's Dancing in the Street series from (I think) the mid 90s. I don't know if that's available on DVD anywhere.

Great series. Probably the best music doco series I have seen. I looked forward to them every week. Not DVD but you can find on You Tube

Episode 1

Episode 3

The guy who has the above 2 videos and put up episodes 1,3,4,5,6,8 and 9 a year ago and put episode 2, 7 and 10 in 4 parts each later. See his You Tube channel at

http://www.youtube.com/user/protools14/videos

1. Rock & Roll and R&B. 2. The early 60's pop. 3. The British invasion, The Beatles and Bob Dylan. 4. The English blues. 5. Motown and soul music. 6. The psychedelic rock. 7. Glam. 8. Punk. 9. Funk and disco. 10. Hip-hop and electronic music.

I'm not a real fan of Queen. I have their best of cd but didn't mind them. Freddie was such a great front man. He knew how to play a packed stadium - like Wembley.

The Queen bit at the closing ceremony of the Olympics last year with Freddie on big screens from the Live at Wembley 1986 show and Brian may playing his guitar and Roger Taylor various bongo drums and drum kit stole the show for me.

Last year the ABC had a 2 part doco on Queen. In part 2 between between 27.30 and 34.00 you see how Freddie and Queen stole the show at Live Aid concert at Wembley and from USA. I was dropping in and out of the show when it was on and thought they were great but didn't realise how much better than the others the crowd thought they were.

Part 1

Part 2

I visit a site called Top Documentary Films that has links to what they consider the top docos in various topics to be (an hour ago I went there to find the link to a drugs in sport doco for a thread in the hot topics board).

Here is the link for the performing arts section. There might be docos in there some of you have seen but have forgotten.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/category/music-performing-arts/

SBS had 2 series covering 4 albums in both series called Great Australian Albums.

Overview
Great Australian Albums is a documentary series that examines four of the all-time classic Australian albums:
  • (I'm) Stranded by The Saints
  • Born Sandy Devotional by The Triffids
  • Woodface by Crowded House
  • Diorama by Silverchair
Unlike any Australian music documentary before it, Great Australian Albums dives headlong into the creative process, uncovers the creative goals the artists set for themselves, and reveals how they were achieved. As becomes quickly apparent, none of these albums were easy to make and each artist were faced with their own hurdles, be they creative, personal, emotional, financial, physical or political.
and Season 2
16 Lovers Lane by the Go-Betweens
The Murder Ballads by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Human Frailty by Hunters and Collectors
Odyssey #5 by Powderfinger
I found the Go-Betweens doco and Nick Cave doco the best ones. The Go-Betweens in particular was pretty revealing and raw probably because it was done a year or two after Grant McLennan's death and the relationships between the male and female members of the band.
My favourites are The Saints, Nick Cave and Hunters and Collectors - really well produced series of docos.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I liked the Hunters one but I am a big fan and thrashed that LP for years many moons ago. The two I mentioned grabbed me because I only knew bits and pieces about those albums but the docos told their stories really well.

Deathray

All Australian
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
'Hype' was a good show about the so called 'grunge' phenomenon and the medias role in it all.

Back