Music Documentaries...

Remove this Banner Ad

Heartworn Highways
Before I watched this I ******* hated country music. Admittedly I still kind of do, but this Documentary spoke to me in volumes. Townes Van Zandt steals the show and rightly so, I'm a huge fan of his after watching this. If you've got eclectic tastes and never really done Country I highly recommend you start here...

Such Hawks, Such Hounds
A doco all about Stoner Rock (or rather the "Underground Rock Movement of America") features bands such as Sleep, Earthless, Pentagram, Sunn O))), Dead Meadow, Nebula etc. A lot of live performances thrown in for good measure too. Probably not for everyone, but if you've ever smoked to a Kyuss record you'll enjoy this.

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Standing in the Shadows of Motown. A magnificent piece of documentary making, about arguably the greatest house band ever, who reform for the film, after thirty years of never playing together, and play note and intonation perfect. The only band in the world whose lead (and, at the same time rhythm) instrument, is a tambourine. Look out for the two drummers, and the pianist - perfect. Quote from one of the drummers who was enlisted to appear in the doco., "Deputy Dog would sound good singing in front of the Funk Brothers".

I've actually got it sitting here on IQ, I might watch it tomorrow night after all the footy is done with.

Sam Dunn's Headbangers Journey. :thumbsu: I have owned this for years and still think it stands the test of time.
About: A Canadian named Sam Dunn goes on a journey to document the origins, culture and appeal to 'heavy metal'. It includes interviews with various artists, musicians, groupies, music producers, critics & disc jockey's. Exploring further themes such as violence, death, sexuality, religion and satanism.

You don't have to be a Hard Rock/ heavy metal fan to enjoy this. FIVE STARS. :thumbsu:

Metal Evolution? I'm not a heavy metal fan but I loved this series, it's played a couple of times in the last year or so on channel 132 (studio) on foxtel. It's 11 episodes and well worth the watch, very educational.

They have some excellent programs and concerts on Studio. (if you can sort through all the soft pr0n programs they seem to have on there nowadays)

His Metal Evolution series is really good too, I'm not the biggest metal fan, but this series was fantastic. Explores the influence of classical and jazz and blues on metal or hard rock musicians and explores all the different sub-genres generally encompassed by the term metal.

Yep, what he said.

Tina Turner: The Girl From Nutbush, 1992 doco that features Bowie, Jagger, Elton and others as well as rare footage and concert clips and Ike even agreed to be interviewed from jail.

I really enjoyed The Undertones documentary, The fact that Feargal Sharkey didnt take part, didnt detract anything for me/ I liked how it told the story simply and show the members of the band as they are just simple down to earth people who made some damn good music.

Was interesting to see that based on their upbringing and surroundings, how John O'Neil never touched on what was going on in Northern Ireland in their songs, during the height of The Undertones powers, compared to his writing for That Petrol Emotion.

As a side note, the only spoiler for me, was the inclusion of the shamed BBC dj/presenters, from the clips of shows such as Top of The Pops.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not quite a music doco but definitely music related - there is a brilliant doco series on legendary music photographer Bob Gruen called Rock 'n' Roll exposed screening around 11pm on Sunday nights on the ABC -it's also up on iView for those who missed the first two of four parts.

Last weekend saw this on ABC, the 2014 Academy Award winning doco 20 Feet From Stardom about backing singers who had great voices, but never quiet made it for one reason or another. Usually black female singers. The one that got screwed the most was probably Darlene Love by Phil Spectator. He stole her recordings put it on other groups/artists records and she never got the credit or the $$$ for it.

It was Darlene and a couple of other black girls in a group called the Blossoms that in the early 60's changed how US pop and rock groups recorded songs with backing vocalists. So many great singers who had a bit of success and then never made it for some reason or another. The way Darlene dug her self out of exploitation by Spectator and others, to be inducted into the Rock n Roll hall of Fame in 2011 is a great story. All the great bands and singers have lent on these backing singers to help get that great sound on their hit records.

Also featured are 3 ladies I've heard of Merry Clayton, Lisa Fischer and Judith Hill. Many others in there. Opened my eyes a bit to how they dont get the credit but they are an integral part of some artists success.

Not sure if we will get this in Oz but Martin Scorsese and Ron Howard have made a doco about The Band which opened in the USA a couple of weeks ago. But if Scorsese made it, good chance it will be pretty good, given his music docos on The Rolling Stones, 2 on Bob Dylan, and George Harrison.

I was alerted to it when I saw a story on PBS Newshour about it the other day, video is below.

The official trailer for Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band

Remove this Banner Ad

Back