Entertainment & Music Music festivals

Remove this Banner Ad

I think most people would go and just get their mates to take enough photos for the both of them?

Walked through Freo then and there wasn't a huge buzz. A bit but I expected pissed teenagers everywhere cramming the filthy mile of The National, The Newport, Sail & Anchor, The Monk, Newport but... they weren't that busy at all? Felt sorry for the kebab store owners though...

Pretty funny seeing so many brand new pairs of black and white Vans Old Skools though.

If you can't check-in yourself are you even there?

There are plenty of photos of shirtless hippies from Woodstock. No chance someone is photographed shirtless at a festival these days unless they've been shredding brah or have some kind of tatt you'd see on a bumper sticker alongside RM Williams horns. It's all about self-image and validation.

I used to go to the Newport about 10 or more years ago. Standard pints of big brewery lager, cover band in the corner type deal. Apparently it's changed and has 5 bars now, but I just had a look and Felix still play there. They were playing when I turned 20 in 2004 so that's a good run for a covers band.

If you can't check-in yourself are you even there?

There are plenty of photos of shirtless hippies from Woodstock. No chance someone is photographed shirtless at a festival these days unless they've been shredding brah or have some kind of tatt you'd see on a bumper sticker alongside RM Williams horns. It's all about self-image and validation.

I used to go to the Newport about 10 or more years ago. Standard pints of big brewery lager, cover band in the corner type deal. Apparently it's changed and has 5 bars now, but I just had a look and Felix still play there. They were playing when I turned 20 in 2004 so that's a good run for a covers band.
I wasn't there ten years ago but it's got to be one of the worst pubs in Perth and an even worse option for a night out. There's a line there complete with aggressive bouncers by 9pm and people are grinding and carrying on like pillocks in there except they aren't 19 at 1am, they're usually in their 30s with a flat brim cap.

Basically when it's in pub mood it feels like it's a bunch of bogan older blokes hoping a bevy of women come in and the dancefloor lights up. And when it wants to be a club it's like a suburban tavern gone club... awful.

Got cover bands most nights and the food they churn out seems that typical re-heated fare.

I reckon they should turn it into a trendy sort of Asian place with a restaurant down one side and bar down the front. Get rid of the bottle shop (never seen anyone go in there) and open it up.

Probably the same people who were there 10 years ago, then. I don't get into trouble on nights out but it did always have a vibe of a fight starting because of an accidental and apologetic spilled drink.

I never went there for any reason other than to drink pints and watch the cover band. Can't imagine going there for another purpose.

Cover bands are almost always completely terrible and either remind you of a country pub on a big night when everyone is back in town or when they've won the flag or of just going home and watching a Youtube set of the actual band's from their best years.

Never got it whatsoever.

Going out in Freo is maybe the worst night out possible because the pubs are full of old slappers, stupid old geezers who still neck pints like it's a weekend in London in 1981, young ferals, and really skanky chicks. Kick onto Metropolis and whatever else goes on there and then grab some HJs or a kebab and get a $70 cab home. I wouldn't do it if it was close. In fact I don't.

Then again where is good? Hang out in Northbridge and the decent places close up at midnight and who wants that on a Saturday night? Might as well head home on the train then because it's too late to get to a club probably and too pointless finding a shitty bright lit pub.

Ah well, you gotta be young, happy, and looking for a root to do it I guess.

I went to Homebake in 1998 and 1999, but then didn't go to another festival until I went to Bluesfest in 2013. Since then I've been heading to festivals on the blues and roots side of things (Sydney Blues and Roots, Australian Blues Music Festival, Great Southern Bluesfest, Narara). You can't really compare those to most of the festivals mentioned in the thread because they generally attract an older crowd.

Cover bands are almost always completely terrible and either remind you of a country pub on a big night when everyone is back in town or when they've won the flag or of just going home and watching a Youtube set of the actual band's from their best years.

Never got it whatsoever.

Going out in Freo is maybe the worst night out possible because the pubs are full of old slappers, stupid old geezers who still neck pints like it's a weekend in London in 1981, young ferals, and really skanky chicks. Kick onto Metropolis and whatever else goes on there and then grab some HJs or a kebab and get a $70 cab home. I wouldn't do it if it was close. In fact I don't.

Then again where is good? Hang out in Northbridge and the decent places close up at midnight and who wants that on a Saturday night? Might as well head home on the train then because it's too late to get to a club probably and too pointless finding a shitty bright lit pub.

Ah well, you gotta be young, happy, and looking for a root to do it I guess.
Out of curiosity, how old are you?

In my 30's now so im retired but have been to heaps of the years.

Been to 4 or 5 BDO's. The best being 98 or 99 with Manson, Hole & Korn.
Several Soundwaves. Best being the one headlined by System of a down. Think Limp Bizkit, Manson and Slipknot played as well.
Been to a couple of trance/hippy fests like Rainbow Serpant & Earthcore.
Been to a Falls festival.
Been to heaps of rave festivals. Commercial ones like Future & Summerdayze, old school all night ones like Slinky, & Two tribes.

Been too the old school rave festivals in the docklands like Gatecrasher.

Went to a festival in Mexico about 5 years back headlined by Steve Aoki & Deadmau5

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

some seem almost designed for gear use
Yeah things like Intergalactic Arachnid or whatever are basically just invitations to do drugs out in the open, because why else would you honestly drive three hours to an actual dustbowl to dance around in 35-plus heat for three days? I don't know how people back it up at those things and it's a sign of culture just overlooking simple instructions like 'maybe take it easy on the MDMA – nothing is that fun without risk.' Revs putting out drug warnings is another example of a place that basically exists to take drugs.

Other ones like Piknic make you feel weird if you aren't taking drugs and Listen Out is similar. There's a few sober heads at Laneway but it's so weird how it's all just an excuse to drink at 10am then head there at 3 and spend $12 on beers. Whatever, I'll probably go to Laneway this year again and do the same. Guess this is why nightclubs are such a meh feeling place now.

Yeah things like Intergalactic Arachnid or whatever are basically just invitations to do drugs out in the open, because why else would you honestly drive three hours to an actual dustbowl to dance around in 35-plus heat for three days? I don't know how people back it up at those things and it's a sign of culture just overlooking simple instructions like 'maybe take it easy on the MDMA – nothing is that fun without risk.' Revs putting out drug warnings is another example of a place that basically exists to take drugs.

Other ones like Piknic make you feel weird if you aren't taking drugs and Listen Out is similar. There's a few sober heads at Laneway but it's so weird how it's all just an excuse to drink at 10am then head there at 3 and spend $12 on beers. Whatever, I'll probably go to Laneway this year again and do the same. Guess this is why nightclubs are such a meh feeling place now.
the open/deserted area of a festival seems such a better place to do md than a club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the open/deserted area of a festival seems such a better place to do md than a club
Why? Bright lights and sun and heat and dust? Would rather be in a dark club with bright lights and the feeling of being close to home.

Been to Falls the last few years. I’ve had a heap of fun each year and have gone pretty hard each time. I sometimes struggle when I have to stand through multiple hours of musicians I simply don’t care for. It’s fantastic though when you get to see musicians you’re really into though. Seeing Liam Gallagher play this year was something else. He even dedicated a song my way after giving it to me for wearing a Man U shirt.

The only downer I find is the groups I go with. I’ve got a core group of mates I go with that are a heap of fun. Then the rest of our group has always been friends of girlfriends etc and they have always been s**t. One year I just want to go with all my mates and that’s it.

I reckon festivals are just a great way to spend a few days with your mates. Sit around, drink beers, forget about whatever s**t is going on and then float off after the beers have hit to see a few artists you’re keen on hearing.

I always struggle with the week or two after a festival where everything just seems s**t and depressing.

Been to Falls the last few years. I’ve had a heap of fun each year and have gone pretty hard each time. I sometimes struggle when I have to stand through multiple hours of musicians I simply don’t care for. It’s fantastic though when you get to see musicians you’re really into though. Seeing Liam Gallagher play this year was something else. He even dedicated a song my way after giving it to me for wearing a Man U shirt.

The only downer I find is the groups I go with. I’ve got a core group of mates I go with that are a heap of fun. Then the rest of our group has always been friends of girlfriends etc and they have always been s**t. One year I just want to go with all my mates and that’s it.

I reckon festivals are just a great way to spend a few days with your mates. Sit around, drink beers, forget about whatever s**t is going on and then float off after the beers have hit to see a few artists you’re keen on hearing.

I always struggle with the week or two after a festival where everything just seems s**t and depressing.
did you get on anything

I feel like I would at Falls but mates are judgemental af

Lol I never went to one but there were 2 rules only . No agro. No fires. Pretty much anything else was ok. Heard the stories. You never went to one of these unless you were hardcore bogan.
This was true of the first one but not subsequent ones. First one was awesome, everyone rocking in with boots full of beers, ample stocks of munchie food, and there was no car inspections for drugs.
Second one was crap, security everywhere, cars searched for alcohol, the vibe was just like an outdoor nightclub.
I never went to any others.
BTW, I aren't, nor ever was a bogan.

I still go to 5-6 per year, prefer smaller festivals.
Much friendly and better appointed, no waiting for showers or overly crowded swimming areas, more chill vibe. Having a fantastic regular festival crew helps too - they're as much catch ups with friends as about the music and we'll often spend a couple of hours at a time making our own fun.

I did get to 3 or so soundwaves back in the day and had a good time. they were really the only one i would tolerate the crowds and s**t for as there would be a fair few bands i'd be happy to see all day.

Went to a couple of big day outs but it wasn't really my thing. there would only ever be 3 or 4 bands i actually wanted to see and i didn't really enjoy being stuck in a hot crowd all day with that general audience. Really only tagged along because a couple of mates were keen but it was ok.

I did go to pyramid fest once only because some friends half dragged me along. * me dead one of the worst times of my life. Absolutely hated it. Didn't like the bands, hated the crowd, hated the whole camping on site thing. I'm not a big drinker & i'm not into the pills so felt really left out. If you weren't off your chops you weren't "in". would never go back to that or anything similar tbh.

Way more into seeing bands play their own shows as the sound is so much better and you don't need to be there all day, you just go in see the couple of bands, have a good time with good views and * off. Too old and grumpy for any kind of festival now i feel haha

I used to go to the BDO every year, went to about 10 or so. Also went to about 6 to 7 Soundwaves, always flew to Adelaide as you can drink wherever you want and way less crowds. Did enjoy Summadayze back in the day as well and went to a few Two Tribes, Slinky etc, Falls one year, Pyramid Rock etc. Sure the sound isn't as good at a festival but it's a good way to see a lot of bands/acts in one day and generally good fun. Am going to Download in a few months, lineup is ok, not as good as a Soundwave but still should be a good day.

Festivals became a pain when they introduced the sniffer dogs, * those little pricks. Never got done but used to s**t myself every time. Had a dog walk straight past me when I had 4 joints and 2 pills in my pocket once, no idea how it didn't ping me, I didn't have them specially wrapped or anything.

Lol I never went to one but there were 2 rules only . No agro. No fires. Pretty much anything else was ok. Heard the stories. You never went to one of these unless you were hardcore bogan.
Never actually went to one, too young, and then when old enough the group from my cricket club that used to go put me off. Some wild stories including Chrissie Amphlett urinating from the stage all over the front rows

I used to go to the BDO every year, went to about 10 or so. Also went to about 6 to 7 Soundwaves, always flew to Adelaide as you can drink wherever you want and way less crowds. Did enjoy Summadayze back in the day as well and went to a few Two Tribes, Slinky etc, Falls one year, Pyramid Rock etc. Sure the sound isn't as good at a festival but it's a good way to see a lot of bands/acts in one day and generally good fun. Am going to Download in a few months, lineup is ok, not as good as a Soundwave but still should be a good day.

Festivals became a pain when they introduced the sniffer dogs, **** those little pricks. Never got done but used to s**t myself every time. Had a dog walk straight past me when I had 4 joints and 2 pills in my pocket once, no idea how it didn't ping me, I didn't have them specially wrapped or anything.
I went to a BDO about ten years ago I went to get a drink wristband and the bird there wanted ID of which I had none not being able to remember the last time I was asked for it. We haggled back and forth and I didn't want to take my hat to show her my bald head because I had half a dozen joints hidden underneath it. In the end I said to her that if she honestly thought I was under 18 that was cool and I wouldn't make a fuss. She gave me a wristband.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back