Music In The '90's

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW, what's your year of birth in relation to myself and 1991?

Remember Eurodance being flogged on the radio at night?

Good memories.

I mostly listened to local radio in the evenings, which mostly tended to play the latest chart music and releases. I started making a weekly routine of RAGE in 1997 around the time Men in Black was no.1. And around the turn of the millennium I used to listen to Rick Dees Weekly Top 40 (American) Countdown on Sundays. I didn't specifically listen to eurodance, although a lot of that stuff was popular at the time anyway.

The early 90's (up to around '97) was the last great era of music for me, the indie pop/rock/shoegaze genres coming out of England and Australia predominately included some of my favourite artists. Artists like Curve, The Falling Joys, The Clouds, The Hummingbirds, Lush, The Breeders, PJ Harvey, Juliana Hatfield, Mogwai, Liz Phair, Saint Etienne, The Smithereens, Portishead, Sonic Youth, The Tea Party, Veruca Salt and Dot Allison. I also enjoyed some of the "rockier" sounds that was produced around that time such as The Gathering, Bikini Kill, Kyuss, The Offspring (early stuff), Scylla and The Rollins Band.

Once the Brit Pop bands like Oasis, Blur, Pulp and co started to take hold, the decade fell away for me and wasn't as interesting or as diverse. Or maybe it was just me becoming too old (at 25) to enjoy a young persons music.:)

I mostly listened to local radio in the evenings, which mostly tended to play the latest chart music and releases. I started making a weekly routine of RAGE in 1997 around the time Men in Black was no.1. And around the turn of the millennium I used to listen to Rick Dees Weekly Top 40 (American) Countdown on Sundays. I didn't specifically listen to eurodance, although a lot of that stuff was popular at the time anyway.

Sounds so much like my listening/viewing habits back then. I'm an '88 kid too.

Mr Blonde! They never made a sequel for that video. Did she get away? That was a fine EP.

And the sister from Len. She was always rather attractive.

Yeah I've got Mr Blonde's Blow Up album, had some great tracks on it. They pretty much disappeared after that though, another flash in the pan 90s band.

Insomniac > Dookie IMO.

Granted, didn't have nearly the same impact/influence, but it's easily Green Day's best work IMO, and simultaneously one of the best and most underrated rock albums of the '90s.
No songs off Insomniac beat a Basket Case, When I Come Around, Longview for sure but Insomniac has the better spread of consistency with all of their songs. Dookie is still my favourite. Nimrod is great too.

Wouldn't have been as fun or as commercially lucrative, but I wish this band had explored this side of themselves more. Would have been an interesting, less stodgy direction for that post-grunge sound to go in. That song doesn't really sound quite like a whole lot else that was going on in rock at the time.

Excuse me if I'm taking the thread too seriously, too.

Always thought the song "Amazed" off the same album should've been a single. Absolute top notch song.

Their stretch of 5 albums from; Ignition, Smash, Ixnay, Americana and to a lesser extent, Conspiracy of One were great Punk/Rock albums. Splinter had some good moments like the song Lightning Rod, but really, when you think of The Offspring, you just think of the albums they released in the 90's.

Even though some of those songs originate outside of 1997/98, song-wise that is a pretty awesome summation of that era in chart music. I remember about 95% of that list, fond memories.

Of those 138 songs I mentioned, how many of those would be perfect for late night weekend parties or gatherings and which songs would be perfect for listening to while doing the chores?

90's was ok, been nothing better since.

Rock n roll fired off the first salvo the ultimate riff.

This was so spectacular it deserves its own thread

Even though the floodgates opened with female artists, men still kicked Arse.

Buy the time offspring came around, things were pretty messy. why ever did the 90's get so far off course?

This is probably the best album of the 90's and second only to back in black since the doors.

Lenny was cool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow so much to list...just for starters...

Nirvana - pretty much most of their songs
Beastie Boys - Gratitude and Sabotage
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Spiderbait - Buy Me a Pony
You Am I - Berlin Chair
Chris Cornell - Seasons
Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
The Breeders - Saints & Cannonball
Veruca Salt - Seether & All Hail Me
Elliott Smith - Needle in the Hay
House of Pain - Jump Around
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the name
Hole - Violet & Doll Parts
L7 - Pretend we're dead

I was in high school in the mid 90s so this era basically defined my love for grungey rock and its various derivatives. Hell I suspect most of my current ipod playlist is probably of bands that were big in that era or who idolised the same bands I did. Also gave me a chance to catch the tail end of some great Aussie rock acts from the 80s whose back catalogues I eventually got into.

Always thought the song "Amazed" off the same album should've been a single. Absolute top notch song.

Their stretch of 5 albums from; Ignition, Smash, Ixnay, Americana and to a lesser extent, Conspiracy of One were great Punk/Rock albums. Splinter had some good moments like the song Lightning Rod, but really, when you think of The Offspring, you just think of the albums they released in the 90's.

I always loved Amazed + Change the World at the end of that album. They've been disappointingly hit and miss since that era - from Conspiracy of One to Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace there was always a smattering of good songs but never a good album. Days Go By was an improvement but there's a really crappy couple of songs in the middle... one of which was the lead single. Go figure.

I put Spiderland down as my 4th best album of the decade in the list above.

I don't think there's an album that has changed the way I listened to and thought about music more than Spiderland.
It's great. I think the Untitled EP is my favourite though.

Next to At Action Park by Shellac, Spiderland is the best LP of the 90s. No question

1990-93 were the best years of my life. Got to see The Ramones and Fugazi and meet Iggy Pop before I was 17. Childhood dreams met.

Next to At Action Park by Shellac, Spiderland is the best LP of the 90s. No question

1990-93 were the best years of my life. Got to see The Ramones and Fugazi and meet Iggy Pop before I was 17. Childhood dreams met.
Just wondering, favourite Fugazi album?

In On The Killtaker probably, although they're one of the few bands whose entire discography (in my opinion) is close to bulletproof. How about you?
Agree about the whole discography being close to bulletproof. 'In On The Killtaker' is arguably my favourite. I have a soft spot for 'Red Medicine' because it was my first album by them and had on repeat as soon as I got it. But overall I would have to be obvious and say 'Repeater' is my favourite .

Y
Really dropped out of music in the 90's..............don't even recall why.

Was pretty excited to pick it up in the '00's and listen to Radiohead, Massive Attack, Boards of Canada etc.

I think I missed out a little but not really a lot.
You missed a hell of a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back