Music In The '90's

Remove this Banner Ad

I absolutely love the 90's, soo much nostalgia for me. I missed out on the Grunge movement (Nevermind came out about two months before I was born) so I've caught up on that stuff about 10 years after it happened but love the stuff from the late 90's. Most of the stuff I heard off the radio or from movies like American Pie, Can't Hardly Wait, 10 Things I Hate About You and other teen movies that were out at the time.

Looking back at the charts from 98 and 99 there is so much stuff there that is soo bad that it's good for instance acts like Aqua, Smash Mouth, Vengaboys, Steps, B*Witched, Five, Sugar Ray but I still love listening to them even though my musical tastes have branched out to stuff like Classic Rock, Metal, Nu-Metal, Hip-Hop etc.

This is the first album I ever bought:

fivecd.jpg

I was into a number of different genres off music through the 90's and from what I recall the 90's was important towards shaping today's music.

I remember seeing Aussie pub bands such as Cosmic Psychos play venues, seeing Silverchair as a bunch of 15 year olds at the big day out, Radio Birdman, Tumbleweed etc etc

Alternative and indie rock, dance, electronic, creative music, was inredible in the 90s, a reneissance that was so powerful it became mainstream, something that had not happened before nor since that decade.

The last great decade for music, though the early 2000s had some ok releases and 2007/2013 had great releases.

Somebody waved a magic wand over that decade, there are literally thousands of great songs released then.

I will say that the defining difference between now and then, is that back then so many bands simply wrote great songs, timeless songs.

Now it's all about the production of a song and the marketing and image..lacking the most important ingredient, the good songwriting.

So what existed in the 90s even at mainstream level, is now the underground, unheard of.

Someone needs to write a thesis on this.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another brilliant thing about 90s music is that there are literally thousands of great songs released, some borderline mainstream, some not, that exist, but many people don't remember or never found about those songs...it's just amazing if you devote about a year to trying to find those songs, you'll discover a list a mile long, you really start to GET why that decade was so special...

the Muffs - Lucky Guy

Adorable - Sunshine Smile

I absolutely love the 90's, soo much nostalgia for me. I missed out on the Grunge movement (Nevermind came out about two months before I was born) so I've caught up on that stuff about 10 years after it happened but love the stuff from the late 90's. Most of the stuff I heard off the radio or from movies like American Pie, Can't Hardly Wait, 10 Things I Hate About You and other teen movies that were out at the time.

Looking back at the charts from 98 and 99 there is so much stuff there that is soo bad that it's good for instance acts like Aqua, Smash Mouth, Vengaboys, Steps, B*Witched, Five, Sugar Ray but I still love listening to them even though my musical tastes have branched out to stuff like Classic Rock, Metal, Nu-Metal, Hip-Hop etc.

You're looking at the wrong charts. Take a note of some Triple J Hottest 100 charts from the same years, and do some searches on youtube. I think you will be impressed on what you may find. A band that i still love to this day, Motor Ace, were an amazing Aussie band whose career was cut short due to illness.
This album was superb.

I am very excited about the 'twenty years' of Jebediah tour. So many good nights out at their gigs.

I love the fact the four that started the band remain and while their music may not be influential I think the group encouraged a heap of people around Australia to join bands and have fun.

Best band of the 90's and not a single mention yet.

Met them at Virgin megastore in 94 or 95. I had a Kiss tshirt on and Dime wanted me to give it to him. I listened to them quite a lot in the early 90's but lost interest in the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back