Music regrets

Remove this Banner Ad

I was in the mosh at that big day out. Didn't know it was going to be the last one. Have to admit to being something of an old man and turning up late just to see Arcade Fire and Pearl Jam !
We went to see the Stone Roses at the Future Music a couple of years ago, did exactly the same. Roses fans stood out like dogs dicks from the rest of that crowd that day, but it was one of the best shows I've seen though.

My only regret was procrastinating on buying a ticket to see Tool play on the Aenima tour back in 1997(?). I'd only just into the band, and by the time I'd worked out this was something I really wanted to see it was sold out. They since went on to become my favorite band, and I've been lucky enough to see them many times since.
This same story, but metallica in 89 at the hordern pavillion (sydney).
Everyone I've ever met who went to that gig just shakes their head at me when i tell them i missed it. :(

Joining in a schoolyard argument in about 2003/2004 about who was better out of Muse or Coldplay.

At the time one of my friends would not shut up about Muse, so I said Coldplay just to spite him. On reflection, it was a really poor choice.

My poorest choice though was joining in. I should have just popcorn.gif'd it.

Not being as much into Split Enz when they were popular.
I remember thrashing the True Colours album as a young teenager but never got round to seeing them live.
Really enjoying their art rock period of the mid 70s.

Phil Judd is still making quality music now,check out his bandcamp page.

Not paying the $100+ ticket price out of principal to see Page and Plant unledded gig in Melbourne late 90s. I've seen most of my favourite bands/musicians but never Plant or Page. :(

My Ipod broke at a swimming sports back in 2010, so I sold my Soundwave ticket to purchase a new one. From memory that was just about the best Soundwave there was with Isis, Baroness, Faith No More, Placebo, Sunny Day Real Estate and The Get Up Kids all playing.

I was really into Isis at the time but figured I'd just go see them next time they came. I think they broke up a month later. I had a few mates (who are pretty passive fans) tell me they were the highlight too.

Joining in a schoolyard argument in about 2003/2004 about who was better out of Muse or Coldplay.

At the time one of my friends would not shut up about Muse, so I said Coldplay just to spite him. On reflection, it was a really poor choice.

My poorest choice though was joining in. I should have just popcorn.gif'd it.

Ours was always Radiohead vs Muse. I think up until 07' I was on the Muse bandwagon but defected after that to the chagrin of my Muse mates. It's not much a comparison these days.

Not learning to play an instrument when I was younger.
I was too embarrassed to ask my parents for a telecaster for Christmas when I was a kid. Weird considering my folks listened to stuff like Radiohead, Sleepy Jackson, The Church, Joy Division, Blur, Moby, Beck when I was growing up so it's not like they would've complained.

But I just tell myself I was caught in limbo between football and art, and if I'd have chosen one, I would've succeeded at it...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Bowie toured I was spending all my money on drugs and women so I missed that one... No others really come to mind.

Not seeing Prince at Hamer Hall coz the tickets were pricey. I was going to wait until he came back on his next tour :(
Yup. I only saw Prince half a dozen times, I'll be regretting all the shows I miss forever. Thankfully I got to see one of the Hamer Hall gigs- it was wonderful.

Not paying the $100+ ticket price out of principal to see Page and Plant unledded gig in Melbourne late 90s. I've seen most of my favourite bands/musicians but never Plant or Page. :(
My mum still regrets having to pay $100+ for my ticket.

I was too embarrassed to ask my parents for a telecaster for Christmas when I was a kid. Weird considering my folks listened to stuff like Radiohead, Sleepy Jackson, The Church, Joy Division, Blur, Moby, Beck when I was growing up so it's not like they would've complained.

But I just tell myself I was caught in limbo between football and art, and if I'd have chosen one, I would've succeeded at it...
I have a Fender Squire sitting in the cupboard I got about 7 (?) years ago but I can't play it. Keep telling myself one day I will learn, but I know I never will.

I'm terrible with chords but I love sitting there with a guitar just making stuff up and picking up tones I like, and imagining writing songs around that. I always thought it'd be just cool to buy a simple electric guitar and some pedals and just to record simple instrumentals and bridges and stuff.

I'm terrible with chords but I love sitting there with a guitar just making stuff up and picking up tones I like, and imagining writing songs around that. I always thought it'd be just cool to buy a simple electric guitar and some pedals and just to record simple instrumentals and bridges and stuff.
Oh yeah, I did lessons for a bit but changing between chords seems incredibly tough. I could play C, D, E, G, and A, but could never swap between each with ease.

I always wonder how musicians write songs (the good ones, not that pop s**t like Katy Perry and stuff), how they come up with the lyrics, the tempo, riffs, what key to play it in, and the music.

Usually I just walk around playing air guitar and I'm as happy as a pig in s**t.

I would love to sit there with three of my mates in a room, bickering and working out how to nail a song. I reckon just slaving over something for a year or two and trying all of these alternatives would be incredible fun, it'd be a big jigsaw.

I guess working out tempos and instrumentation is why you'd have a good producer. Imagine having someone who's half on your level and almost telepathic but also able to give you brand new thoughts and kick out your s**t ones.

Not a day goes by where I don't imagine how I would release albums, artwork, how I'd spend every day, the clothes I would wear on stage. It's genuinely quite pathetic. I could not think of much cooler than that.

I have a Fender Squire sitting in the cupboard I got about 7 (?) years ago but I can't play it. Keep telling myself one day I will learn, but I know I never will.

Takes a lot of dedication and repetition, i tried but got bored too easily.

I know a few guys who use to practise 2-3 hours a day when they were younger, one guy seemed to have a natural talent and became really good while the other struggled to get any decent.

I would love to sit there with three of my mates in a room, bickering and working out how to nail a song. I reckon just slaving over something for a year or two and trying all of these alternatives would be incredible fun, it'd be a big jigsaw.

I guess working out tempos and instrumentation is why you'd have a good producer. Imagine having someone who's half on your level and almost telepathic but also able to give you brand new thoughts and kick out your s**t ones.

Not a day goes by where I don't imagine how I would release albums, artwork, how I'd spend every day, the clothes I would wear on stage. It's genuinely quite pathetic. I could not think of much cooler than that.
If I could be anything in the world, it'd be a rockstar.

Imagine walking out into an arena/stadium with 50,000 people who have come to see YOU. Would be ******* incredible.

I think the same thing a lot too, especially after I've seen any half-decent band live. Just that feeling of being on stage and having everyone's attention for the next half hour then afterwards having cute girls chat to you at the merch table about how much they enjoyed your set. I've played guitar for years with a variety of mates on other instruments and we never quite got our s**t together enough to write some decent enough songs for playing at the local bars/pubs. Maybe it's better as a fantasy so my ego can't be shattered when no one actually likes our s**t.

If I could be anything in the world, it'd be a rockstar.

Imagine walking out into an arena/stadium with 50,000 people who have come to see YOU. Would be ******* incredible.

**** the fans.

That would be my highlight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back