Music thread

Been listening to the Beastie Boys Book on Audible and it has been both a revelatory peek behind the curtain and an incredible deep dive into one of my favourite all time bands (Check Your Head is in my top 5 albums of all time - so important to me). I've been hitting the music hard and post the wonderful win against the Hawks at UTAS I am going deep on Youtube.

Been listening to the Beastie Boys Book on Audible and it has been both a revelatory peek behind the curtain and an incredible deep dive into one of my favourite all time bands (Check Your Head is in my top 5 albums of all time - so important to me). I've been hitting the music hard and post the wonderful win against the Hawks at UTAS I am going deep on Youtube.

I like the Beastie Boys but admittedly never got knocked over or brought into them, despite being a kid where Intergalactic and Right to Party was absolutely everywhere. I felt like RATM managed to capture their tone and anthem rock but did it about more pertinent issues and maybe by being more political made themselves more memorable to me at the time.

Northlane's new album, Alien, released today, might be the best metal album of any sub-genre I've heard in 12 years, probably since Machine Head's The Blackening. I'm comfortable making that call after two listens and I think it has a lot more to reveal. It might be a little too slickly produced for some, but I really love the contrast of the slick production with the very raw and personal subject matter and if you have ever had any interest in metal/prog or industrial I highly recommend giving it a listen from start to finish.

Last edited:

Lion for Life

All Australian
Feb 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club,Chicago Bulls
Possibly the greatest music video of all time, High On Fire rule this f#*$&ng land \m/

Last edited:

Lion for Life

All Australian
Feb 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Northlane's new album, Alien, released today, might be the best metal album of any sub-genre I've heard in 12 years, probably since Machine Head's The Blackening. I'm comfortable making that call after two listens and I think it has a lot more to reveal. It might be a little too slickly produced for some, but I really love the contrast of the slick production with the very raw and personal subject matter and if you have ever had any interest in metal/prog or industrial I highly recommend giving it a listen from start to finish.

I’ve not really got into Northlane that much but i’ll make sure to check this one out

thedaz

Senior List
Aug 2, 2019
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Arsenal

Will listen. I've recently been listening to a heap of the 90s Fear Factory stuff and really getting back into metal. Big call for the best metal album in the last 12 years. You ever listen to Power Trip's "Nightmare Logic" which came out in 2017?

Will listen. I've recently been listening to a heap of the 90s Fear Factory stuff and really getting back into metal. Big call for the best metal album in the last 12 years. You ever listen to Power Trip's "Nightmare Logic" which came out in 2017?

I have not. I will give it a crack. I know it's a big call, I've hardly digested whole albums again until this year after falling into shuffle/streaming and algorithmic recommendations. I've enjoyed the Devon Townsend, Ghost and Periphery releases this year but they haven't immediately gone onto full album repeat like Alien has.

Last edited:

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
There's a new TOOL song out. Sounds like pretty much every other Tool song.
Are they touring?

I jumped on a tram yesterday in the city heading to a meeting and I passed a Tool billboard, but I couldn’t read the small print and work out whether they were touring or it was a new album. The billboard was next to other touring artists but when I looked last night couldn’t find any upcoming tour dates.

thedaz

Senior List
Aug 2, 2019
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Arsenal
Think they've just got this new single, maybe new album. No tour dates.

EDIT: yup, new album at the end of the month.

Lion for Life

All Australian
Feb 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

F&$k yeah, Nightmare Logic is one of the best thrash albums of this past decade, went to see them last year at The Bendigo Hotel in Melbourne and it felt like going back to the golden age of Sepultura, Executioner’s Tax (Swing Of The Axe) is a certified rager

The album dropped today and if you’re a fan of Tool you need this album in your life

More tool is a good thing, but it wasn't until the guitar tone on the beginning of 7empest that I felt like I was actually hearing something I haven't heard from them already. I've only had two listens so far though.

Lion for Life

All Australian
Feb 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
More tool is a good thing, but it wasn't until the guitar tone on the beginning of 7empest that I felt like I was actually hearing something I haven't heard from them already. I've only had two listens so far though.

I’ve given it a couple of spins so far, it is undeniably Tool but also sounds to my ears a fresh take on their signature sound, also like all other Tool albums it has incredible depth, an album that will keep delivering for years to come

I went and saw Ride at the Tivoli last night. A fantastic show. Played pretty much every song I wanted them to play bar one and were still tight. Didn't quite get to those beautiful Beatlesesque harmonies they were known for but heck, not even the Beatles played many of that late harmony heavy stuff live.

I think that it is great that Geoff Blethyn was able to have a career after football as the lead singer of DEVO.

My Top 5 Devo songs:

1. Through being cool
2. Whip it
3. Freedom of Choice
4. Jerkin' back 'n' forth
5. Gates of Steel
I like *********, Beautiful World and Secret Agent Man too.

Last edited:
Back