Music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

With the most recent lawsuit against the Estate of Michael Jackson being thrown out, yet again, can we move on and honour the man? Ridiculous that these false accusations still haunt his legacy. See Rolling Stone's most recent top 500? He doesn't have a song that makes the top 40!

Anyone else interested in the Monolith festival coming up in March? A mate and I got like 12 tickets to the Sydney show, and it's coming to Melbourne and Brisbane also. Karnivool are the best live act I've ever seen. Complicated music performed almost perfectly, every time. 🤘

Enjoyed watching those. As always with any genre with Japanese groups there's always a fair bit of uniformity and disneyfication :) Have you seen them live? Some of the most energetic and fun shows I've seen live have been Japanese groups and that those live videos looked liked fun.
I’ve recently got into this other Japanese girl group called BEYOOOOONDS, a 12-piece group who often incorporate skits into their songs and their shows. Their lyrics are often witty and humorous, performances are theatrical, and their songs cover a wide range of genres like

Heavy metal:

disco/funk:

EDM:

Jazz/Broadway:

and even the occasional rock opera:

They even parodied the Village People:

Their latest offering came out last week, and it's an interpolation of 3 of Chopin's most famous piano pieces into one epic tribute to the Polish composer:

Heard this song for the first time in a long while and can not get it out of my head now, love that easy listening, feel good 60s/early 70s music. Brings back so many innocent memories of childhood, brings a tear to my eye.

Tonight's choice Black Sabbath, Paranoid.

Heard a snippet of N.I.B. the other day so wanted to listen to it and man, what a great track but straight after it was done knew what I wanted.
Black Sabbath = Red Rooster, Paranoid = Nandos
I read somewhere that Osborne /Iommi /Butler/ Ward knocked together the song Paranoid in a few minutes and didn't really think much of it until some producer convinced them to not only include it in their second album but make it the title of the album.The album was originally going to be titled War Pigs

Speaking of N.I.B (Nativity in Black), I think this Monster Magnet song rips it off.....and does a bloody good job of it too

EDIT:

Maybe somewhat coincidental but the Devil's Horn's sign in that MM video at 2:17 was originally used by Ronnie James Dio at a Black Sabbath concert after he replaced Ozzy as Sabbath's singer. Whereas Ozzy was a frequent user of the "V" for "Peace" symbol, Dio went the other way so as to demonstrate he was his own man and not an Ozzy clone

Last edited:
Went to see Midnight Oil at Mt. Duneed Estate on the 5th March and they were phenomenal.

If people haven’t heard their new album “Resist” and they are fans, they should give it a whirl. On high rotation at mine. Equal to ANYTHING they have ever done. It’s a creeper, but it will get in.

Here is the playlist from the show:

Midnight Oil Setlist at Mount Duneed Estate, Geelong

Last edited:
I cant believe the number of great artists dropping dead, most of husker du, Mark Lanagan survives being a herion addict and dies of covid, Taylor Hawkins survives being a heroin addict then doesnt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm flying to Malta on Tuesday on Emirates and have just checked out their classical music: loads of Beethoven, Mozart and Haydn but no Carl Stamitz ( a most under rated composer ) Have a listen to his viola concerto,

The last bit is simply gorgeous.

I have all of these composers on my ipod but not the same version so allowing me to play the Emirates version and contrast and compare the Emirates' version to my ipod version. Often, I have to listen to, say, the first part of Mozart's third violin concerto on both versions, each several times, to arrive at a decision which I like the best, and before I know it I am over the Indian ocean.

Some one said the journey is the point of travel rather then the destination.

Check out Stamitz clarinet concertos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back