News "Must use two first round picks every four years" - trade rules clarified

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 21, 2007
Behind the Bar
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
West Brom,
love how Whateley (a Geelong tragic) uses Hawthorn as an example, when Geelong are the only team not eligible to trade their 1st rounder this year. He's done it so that when Geelong get approval to trade it no one will blink an eye if Hawthorn have traded theirs as well.

Sorry I must have missed something. Where would I find Whateley's quotes?

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wish the AFL would just leave the draft alone!

No priority picks
Leave clubs to trade whatever picks they want. If they trade out picks going for a flag, good one them.
FA picks should be clearly defined using a model like the MRP ( :oops: ) and these picks should not start before the end of the first round

Beer n Skittles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rampage
This has always been the case if anyone actually ever read the rule.

It was the dumbarse footy media's inability to interpret it that caused this misconception

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Silly rule though. 2016 we traded our future first for Carlton's future second, turned out there wasn't much difference between the two. Likewise in 2017 we traded our first round Motlop compensation for Gold Coast's second, once again no real difference.

----> Turn 15 (first) into Tuohy and 22 (second)
----> Turn 19 (first) into Ablett and 24 (second)

A trade restriction doesn't make any sense, and if it's worth anything at all this year we had three rising star nominees.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lol it's a conspiracy!

Why did Whately choose Hawthorn of all clubs? Why not the only club where this rule applies?

Maybe its just that he is completely clueless and rubbish at research?

Unless there are other reasons why he would write an article which got people riled up about special favours for Hawthorn when it is Geelong.

Geelong is even the perfect example because they will be getting West Coast's 1st, so could use their own for trade.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Should do away with the rule. It has yet to even be applied and there hasn't been a single disaster from the trading of future picks. Even if something bad does happen, its still only one pick. Clubs should have the responsibility and the right to make their own decisions and deal with the consequences. Enough of the safety nets.

I don't like the restriction on trading, I'd prefer that not having used two first round picks in the previous four year period means a club can't sign any free agents until that is rectified if they are desperate to keep clubs from decoupling themselves from a primary means of equalization- being the draft.

Buying mature talent with picks and then doing it again with free agents wouldn't be a pretty circumstance for struggling clubs.

Ultimately the clubs are still under the salary cap so there is a measure to hold it in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back