Carringbush2010

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Thread starter #1
Herlings won his 1st MXGP title winning 31 of the 38 races

With factory backing of KTM he dominated the flagship class with daylight to his nearest rival Antoni Cairoli - his team mate.

Herlings finished on 933 points

Cairoli on 782

Desalle on 685.

Cairoli is now 33 and at top level motocross it's a hard game to stay at the top for the 9 time world champ.

If I were a betting man I'd be backing Desalle for a podium in the standings rather than back an almost unbackable Herlings for the title.

Discuss!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Pretty impossible to believe anyone will beat Herlings to the title but as a team green fan I'd love to see DeSalle do it.

It's a shame there are no Australians to follow in MXGP this year with Hunter Lawrence moving to the US and Todd Waters returning to Australia.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Thread starter #3
Pretty impossible to believe anyone will beat Herlings to the title but as a team green fan I'd love to see DeSalle do it.

It's a shame there are no Australians to follow in MXGP this year with Hunter Lawrence moving to the US and Todd Waters returning to Australia.
Sorry for the late reply, thought it had no interest.

Herlings is like that Everts bloke hey, just knows how to keep 10 tenths up ...................... Look at Patagonia last year.

Cairoli (who is obviously no slouch himself) was 9 seconds up with 9 laps to go..................... game over you'd think, but oh no Herlings reels him in and STILL wins it.

Does this guy have some sort of mind control over the rest of the field or something? I mean you see him pass guy's like DeSalle, Fabvre, Van De Horebeek and Gajser like they're standing still.

Like Leisky would pass you or I, not even Everts looked that dominant as Herlings last year.

If he does not get up soon enough from his ankle we could be all wrong though.

https://racerxonline.com/2019/02/26/jeffrey-herlings-out-for-2019-mxgp-opener

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Oh boy, Stefan Everts is MX royalty! One of the few blokes in the conversation with Ricky Carmichael for greatest of all time (for those who believe in such a thing). Herlings had a long way to go but he's young enough to join the conversation.

Yeah, Herlings starting injured is not ideal but he won easily last year despite a busted collarbone so he won't be panicking. Injuries have really been the bane of his career so far. Lost at least one title because of it (MX2 to Jordy Tixier).

Speaking of injuries, Australia does actually have a runner on the world stage in Jed Beaton who is teaching MX2. He missed the first round with vertebrae fractures.

And in other Australian related injury news, Dean Ferris is filling in for the injured Romain Febvre. It's a big opportunity because he gets to race at least three rounds on a factory Yamaha - a bike he will be reasonably familiar with after winning the last few Aus titles on a YZ450F.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Thread starter #5
Oh boy, Stefan Everts is MX royalty! One of the few blokes in the conversation with Ricky Carmichael for greatest of all time (for those who believe in such a thing). Herlings had a long way to go but he's young enough to join the conversation.

Yeah, Herlings starting injured is not ideal but he won easily last year despite a busted collarbone so he won't be panicking. Injuries have really been the bane of his career so far. Lost at least one title because of it (MX2 to Jordy Tixier).

Speaking of injuries, Australia does actually have a runner on the world stage in Jed Beaton who is teaching MX2. He missed the first round with vertebrae fractures.

And in other Australian related injury news, Dean Ferris is filling in for the injured Romain Febvre. It's a big opportunity because he gets to race at least three rounds on a factory Yamaha - a bike he will be reasonably familiar with after winning the last few Aus titles on a YZ450F.
Yeah Stefan is a demi god isn't he, but when I watched him and I maybe wrong in my opinion he didn't look as dominant as Herlings does against the opposition - even Cairoli in that 1st round last year 9 seconds up 9 laps to go, when Herlings caught him it was like I could read his mind "here comes Jeff oh well 2nd ain't so bad"

Now I'm more than certain no one in those GP's just give in when they the flying dutchman is on his ass - of course they're racing for sheep stations but it just has that look that no one can deny him.

As far as Deano goes I'm not sure he's as good as Romain and Van Horebeek will be licking his lips, if he makes top 10 finishes that'd be a win for him. Top 5? Possible but I'm not expecting so.

That's not a smear on Deano it's just the talent in the field is littered with elite.

Desalle, Paulin, Tony, Gasjer, Van Horebeek (anyone else I missed?) - if Jeffrey wasn't there these guy's would be in a tight title fight for mine........ very tight.

Top Bottom