Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
With the RDT team picker having been open for some time now (for those who had assistant coach) and DT Live team planner now up and running many coaches will have already put their prospective team together for next year. Naturally, the rookies will pick themselves after the pre season games and there will no doubt be a couple who will come from the clouds that are not in our planning right at the moment.
Feel free to submit your proposed 2017 squad here giving a few reasons why you may have selected it the way you have together with why you have selected any "out of the ordinary" players.
I also ask all of the regular readers and posters here to not only show their squads but to give genuine feedback to the others who also do so.

So, to start things off, let me show you my early thoughts.

TEAM NAME: The Real Coots. (Real Dream Team 2017)
Used: $10,581,200 (98.9%), Remaining: $118,800 (1.1%) On Ground: $9,458,700 (88.4%), On Bench: $1,122,500 (10.5%)
Expected Total: 2042, Site Expected Total: 2059
Def: T.Adams (105), S.Docherty (102), R.Laird (100), H.Hartlett (90), M.Hibberd (85), J.Thurlow (46.72) (M.Scharenberg (70), N.Newman (60))
Mid: T.Rockliff (120), N.Fyfe (108), D.Heppell (105), D.Beams (100), J.O'Meara (90), D.Swallow (85), A.McGrath (70), H.McCluggage (70) (D.Myers (70), N.Freeman (60), A.Witherden (50))
Ruc: S.Martin (100), J.Giles (75) (L.Strnadica (18.43))
Fwd: J.Macrae (105), J.Caddy (85.63), I.Heeney (95), P.Ryder (85), J.Thomas (34.90), J.Bowes (65) (J.Gallucci (50), A.Black (50))

Defense is pretty standard and will look very similar to many.
Mids are somewhat speculative with a number of them coming back from long term injury or lay offs. Their selection will obviously be dependent upon them playing and getting through pre season matches.
Biggest gamble at the moment is the selection of Giles as my R2. With Vardy the only other ruck option currently at WC (he is more of a forward than a ruckman imo) Giles will be their number one man until Lycett returns halfway through the year. If his 90 against Jacobs in round 23 is anything to go by, I think an average of 70-80 is clearly attainable. Will then upgrade him at the right time. His round 12 bye is also handy as I had really struggled to find many round 12 bye players. I think Martin is underpriced for next year but will need to see if Brisbane are to play a one ruck format or not. If Smith appears to be played as a ruck as well, I will change that selection to Grundy.
Forwards - Heeney was my first picked forward and I think everyone knows he will move into the Swans midfield next year. I expect Caddy to move close to a 100 average with more midfield time at Tigerland and Thomas' selection is based on him coming off the rookie list or the AFL ruling rookies can play in 2017 regardless. Ryder is there for both his expected increase in score but also his FWD/RUC flexibility.
$118K still in the bank gives me a few options.
Thoughts??

I like it. Very good midfield depth if Swallow and O'Meara fire. Good balance on the other lines. You don't like Sandi over Giles for a budget ruck option ?? I'm giving Ryder a miss myself, regardless of Ruc/fwd dpp. My opinion is that Archie Smith is miles off, having watched a lot of NEAFL games.

Boy that is a stacked backline, not bad for this time of year!
The backline was the one area that gave me heartache last year. Thought I would start with a number of defenders I can rely on rather than the Yeo's and Rich's types.

I like it. Very good midfield depth if Swallow and O'Meara fire. Good balance on the other lines. You don't like Sandi over Giles for a budget ruck option ?? I'm giving Ryder a miss myself, regardless of Ruc/fwd dpp. My opinion is that Archie Smith is miles off, having watched a lot of NEAFL games.
Thanks for your thoughts Pea Nut.
It could be either Sandi or Giles. Neither will still be there come season's end and I feel Giles has the potential to earn more $ than Sandi. As said, I was looking for some round 12 players as well so he fits that bill.

2017rdt2.png

I have been toying with the idea of doing something like this. Might miss one or two mid rookies, but there are some very good options down back and up forward, and the forward premo's are extremely light on compared to years past, so it would enable the opportunity to see who comes on and who the must have's will be.

Personally i am not bothering with making my team until NAB starts and assistant coach is purchased so i can see coaches choice and % of players selections.
newcard.jpg

What fun is that ??

View attachment 325034

I have been toying with the idea of doing something like this. Might miss one or two mid rookies, but there are some very good options down back and up forward, and the forward premo's are extremely light on compared to years past, so it would enable the opportunity to see who comes on and who the must have's will be.
Problem with starting with 8 keeper midfielders is that it limits your trade options as the season goes on. We all love it when a premium player gets injured in the first quarter (provided you don't have him) which means that 3 weeks later you upgrade him at a ridiculous discount. If that player is a midfielder, you are not in a position to bring him in because you already have 8 keepers thereby limiting your upgrade targets to forwards or defenders.
I would much rather a more balanced squad.

Personally i am not bothering with making my team until NAB starts and assistant coach is purchased so i can see coaches choice and % of players selections.
DrawingBoard team planner in DT Live gives you % of ownership for most players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's actually so i can avoid being a sheep. I like PODS, so i use it to see who is more unique. Helps when deciding between player A or B.

I think you should worry less about being unique and just pick who you think is best and will avg more.

I had quite a unique team last year as it was and the only place where you can go against a unique is with premium midfielders i did it last year by not starting Rockliff certainly helped a bit when he got injured early however became too early to have any real impact.

You can go against these popular 50-60% guys with a 10% player and if the 50-60% player gets injured all of a sudden your well in front of the majority competition.

Im not sure its worth trying to pick unique players. More having an overall unique side, be unlikely anyone else would have the same 30 as you. Maybe 25 the same but hopefully that 5 different is in your advantage.

What I'm working with at the moment:

Def:
Taylor Adams, Sam Docherty, Zac Williams, Matthew Scharenburg, Curtly Hampton, Andrew McGrath
Lachlan Keeffe, Mitchell Hibberd

Mid:
Patrick Dangerfield, Nathan Fyfe, Marcus Bontempelli, Dyson Heppell, Dayne Beams, Jaegar O'Meara, Will Brodie, Sam Powell-Pepper
Jake Barrett, Nathan Freeman, Keiran Lovell

Ruck:
Max Gawn, Aaron Sandilands
Darcy Cameron

Fwd:
Toby Greene, Luke Dahlhaus, Touk Miller, Isaac Heeney, Jarryd Roughead, Hugh McCluggage
Jack Bowes, Cam McCarthy

The most impactful selection is Sandilands, which completely changes to makeup of the team, allowing dollars to be spent elsewhere.
Suspect Brodie and SPP will make it all the way to team selection, as I suspect them to be ready to go from round 1.
Backline rookies probably the most up for debate, as I'm unconvinced on Scharenburg and Hampton. McGrath and Keeffe I think will play, Hibberd a maybe.

What I'm working with at the moment:

Def:
Taylor Adams, Sam Docherty, Zac Williams, Matthew Scharenburg, Curtly Hampton, Andrew McGrath
Lachlan Keeffe, Mitchell Hibberd

Mid:
Patrick Dangerfield, Nathan Fyfe, Marcus Bontempelli, Dyson Heppell, Dayne Beams, Jaegar O'Meara, Will Brodie, Sam Powell-Pepper
Jake Barrett, Nathan Freeman, Keiran Lovell

Ruck:
Max Gawn, Aaron Sandilands
Darcy Cameron

Fwd:
Toby Greene, Luke Dahlhaus, Touk Miller, Isaac Heeney, Jarryd Roughead, Hugh McCluggage
Jack Bowes, Cam McCarthy

The most impactful selection is Sandilands, which completely changes to makeup of the team, allowing dollars to be spent elsewhere.
Suspect Brodie and SPP will make it all the way to team selection, as I suspect them to be ready to go from round 1.
Backline rookies probably the most up for debate, as I'm unconvinced on Scharenburg and Hampton. McGrath and Keeffe I think will play, Hibberd a maybe.
I wouldn't worry too much at this stage as to which rookies will be in come round 1. That will change drastically after NAB matches.
Without having all your prices at hand I think it is a similar structure to mine. I base players in 4 categories.
Premium - $500,000 plus, Mid - $350,000 to $500,000, Cheapies - $200,000 - $350,000 and rookies - under $200,000.
I currently have a total structure of 10/5/6/1 with 9 further rookies on bench.
Not sure Greene can have a better year than he had last year and with Lids spending time in the forward line as well. Don't disagree with the Sandi pick. He will no doubt make plenty of cash and will score reasonably well in the time prior to upgrade. I went with Giles instead.
Not sure yet why there is so much love for Miller? Roughie will certainly be a unique pick.

It's actually so i can avoid being a sheep. I like PODS, so i use it to see who is more unique. Helps when deciding between player A or B.

I think you should worry less about being unique and just pick who you think is best and will avg more.

I had quite a unique team last year as it was and the only place where you can go against a unique is with premium midfielders i did it last year by not starting Rockliff certainly helped a bit when he got injured early however became too early to have any real impact.

You can go against these popular 50-60% guys with a 10% player and if the 50-60% player gets injured all of a sudden your well in front of the majority competition.

Im not sure its worth trying to pick unique players. More having an overall unique side, be unlikely anyone else would have the same 30 as you. Maybe 25 the same but hopefully that 5 different is in your advantage.
I tend to agree with the Agoniser. As much as it is great to have a player score well that no one else has, it is no good having multiple players scoring well that you don't have. There is generally a reason why a player has a high ownership - he is a bloody good pick. If you believe you're smarter than the rest of the community - fair enough. Having 1 or 2 PODs is one thing but looking for more than that is very dangerous imo.

I tend to agree with the Agoniser. As much as it is great to have a player score well that no one else has, it is no good having multiple players scoring well that you don't have. There is generally a reason why a player has a high ownership - he is a bloody good pick. If you believe you're smarter than the rest of the community - fair enough. Having 1 or 2 PODs is one thing but looking for more than that is very dangerous imo.

Ill be the first to say in the past few years ive always tried to think that and pick too many uniques. Ill also say these have by far and away beeb my worse 2 years for results. Fair few pay off but some dont. Its also extremely hard to find a true unique outside of a premium midfielder now - everyone gets covered with the online/DTT talk site/coaches panel becoming more significant and playing a greater emphasis on who coaches pick.

Last year Johannisen and Rich i thought would be very unique and from memory both pushed upto and past the 10% before lockout so a fair few others were onto them.

If you couldve picked a Sam Docherty, C.Daniel, E.Curnow last year than these guys were true uniques that no one saw coming with the way they scored.

Not sure yet why there is so much love for Miller? Roughie will certainly be a unique pick.

Had a good back end of the season, when there was opportunity in the Suns midfield. With O'Meara and Prestia leaving, and Swallow still coming back from injury, that opportunity should still be there.

Just as likely to go Sam Grey as premium I'll admit, but I like him as a player

Had a good back end of the season, when there was opportunity in the Suns midfield. With O'Meara and Prestia leaving, and Swallow still coming back from injury, that opportunity should still be there.

Just as likely to go Sam Grey as premium I'll admit, but I like him as a player
Recruited 3 very good mids in the draft that they will want to give games to plus the arrival of Barlow. Add that to Swallow, as you mentioned, therefore I don't see additional midfield time for Miller.

Recruited 3 very good mids in the draft that they will want to give games to plus the arrival of Barlow. Add that to Swallow, as you mentioned, therefore I don't see additional midfield time for Miller.

Good chance you'll be correct, but it will remain to be seen. I personally only expect Brodie to be full time midfield, with Bowes and Ainsworth spending time on flanks.

Will need to watch through the NAB Cup, or whatever it's called now

Good chance you'll be correct, but it will remain to be seen. I personally only expect Brodie to be full time midfield, with Bowes and Ainsworth spending time on flanks.

Will need to watch through the NAB Cup, or whatever it's called now
Forgot to mention that they also recruited Lyons and Hanley who will both take up midfield time. In fact, even though they have lost Prestia and O'Meara, Gold Coast will bat very deeply in the midfield in 2017.

Forgot to mention that they also recruited Lyons and Hanley who will both take up midfield time. In fact, even though they have lost Prestia and O'Meara, Gold Coast will bat very deeply in the midfield in 2017.

Hadn't forgotten them, don't worry. It will be one to watch during the NAB Cup. If he's not getting game time there, I'll likely go another forward rookie and back premium. Not huge on the other available forwards tbh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back