Club Legend
Oct 23, 2006
Bunyip
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Blue-Jays, Broncos, Pacers, Everton
Hi guys,
Just saw this board, obviously didn't look too hard in the past. Anyhow, I put together a three conference system a couple of years ago, so I thought I'd stick it on here for you guys to have a look at.

I use a dynamic conference system where they change each year based on ladder positions. There is no allowance for blockbusters as its the one thing that compromises the draw more than anything.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2739114/afl-18-teams-conference-system-pdf-april-11-2011-10-28-pm-68k?dn=y&dnad=y

Perry Pie

All Australian
Sep 19, 2009
Liverpool
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Besiktas J.K.
You dont need seperate ladders. I single ladder is OK because the seeded groups are a/ of equal strength based on previous season performance and b/ over 77% of the draw is common anyway (all clubs play all other clubs once, so its only the last 5 games that vary).

bards

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2006
Bunyip
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
But as we know years can be very different, for instance if you got Melbourne in your division this year they would have been ranked as 9th or 10th side, but are performing as 18th side. At least with the three ladders the strong teams that get Melbourne don't have a huge advantage. Making the 8 is fair as you play exactly the same teams as those you compete against for a finals spot. Then the last two spots reward good overall effort across the 3 divisions.

Of course we know it's doubtful that the AFL would do this as they wouldn't get to play their blockbusters.

bards

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2006
Bunyip
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nah, the conferences would be decided based on ladder positions at the concludion of the finals. When I did the write up it was round 17 so I used the ladder at that point.

EssendonNick

Team Captain
May 14, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Leeds United AFC. Melb Victory FC.
Nah, the conferences would be decided based on ladder positions at the concludion of the finals. When I did the write up it was round 17 so I used the ladder at that point.

It would be fairer should the conferences only be made up during the year once every team has played everyone once.
We all know how much teams can change from year to year.
Think of West Coast going from 16th to 4th.

bards

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2006
Bunyip
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Obviously reducing travel won't be a factor in our system, I'm using them to try to get an even draw, could have called them divisions but then someone would say divisions are normally different levels of competition. The idea of making the conferences mid year is interesting, not sure how it would work in practice though as a fixture needs to be done fully at the start of the year to ensure its fair with home games v away games, travel etc.

McCrann

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Obviously reducing travel won't be a factor in our system, I'm using them to try to get an even draw, could have called them divisions but then someone would say divisions are normally different levels of competition. The idea of making the conferences mid year is interesting, not sure how it would work in practice though as a fixture needs to be done fully at the start of the year to ensure its fair with home games v away games, travel etc.

Says who?

The higher you finish, the better draw you get after Round 17 for the return games.

We don't structure the finals to ensure equality of travel - do we?

bards

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2006
Bunyip
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You'd soon have a hell of a lot of angry members if a side ended up with not enough home games. Fans want certainty of the draw when buying a seasons ticket to ensure they can attend games. Fans like myself by a membership regardless, but lots base it on being able to get value for money.

Dec 12, 2009
Barkly St
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Seagulls, Kookaburras
You dont need seperate ladders. I single ladder is OK because the seeded groups are a/ of equal strength based on previous season performance and b/ over 77% of the draw is common anyway (all clubs play all other clubs once, so its only the last 5 games that vary).

Agree with this.

Anyone who wants to talk conferences, needs to start with this very important point - there will always be one ladder (barring phenomenal growth in the number of teams in the future, which is unlikely in the short term).

Therefore, if you're talking conferences, you are only talking about fixturing and nothing else, i.e. using the concept of conferences to determine which 5 teams you are playing twice.

Second important point: you are never going to convince HQ about dropping the idea of blockbusters and/or derbies. Forget about it, never going to happen, wasting your time trying to argue the point.

Which means - you ain't going to create a conference style fixturing system based 100% on last year's ladder.

Personally, I rather like the idea from this season that teams at the arse end play each other twice, and the higher rated teams play each other twice.

bards

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2006
Bunyip
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There is no point in using conferences to work out who you play twice if it means you compete for a ladder position against a club that has played other teams twice.

The idea of bottom playing each other twice and top playing each other twice doesn't work for me because it gives the 10th team a huge advantage over 9th.

What they should do is have a draw this year and just continue it on every year so it works out close to even. Instead we compromise it by insisting on certain teams playing twice.

In reality we will never have a fair system though.

Back