Opinion My all time favourites

Remove this Banner Ad

Thebisc

Senior List
Jun 13, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Not a regular poster but I just watched a replay of my all time favourite bomber on Open Mike…and with all the negative stuff about our club I just felt the need to express some happy memories. I’m 44 years old and my top ten to watch in MY lifetime are as follows:
Gavin Wanganeen
James Hird
Jobe Watson
Mark Mercuri
Matty Lloyd
Michael Long
Mark Harvey
Jason Johnson
Joe Misiti
Derek Kickett

Sigh 😔 no one current comes close.

Didn't miss too many. I loved Salmon when he first took the comp by storm:) Mercuri was gold and Wanganeen and Hird my favourite ever. Add Madden, Roger, TD, Vanders, Neagle, Neale Daniher, Bake, Harvey and Bomba, Bewick the list truly goes on and on. We have had some great eras. Each feeling distinctly different despite players overlapping.

Many don't realise what it's like to have a gun side. Not many really make the mark in tbe last 10 to 15. Jobe and um...

Last edited:
Didn't miss too many. I loved Salmon when he first took the comp by storm:) Mercuri was gold and Wanganeen and Hird my favourite ever. Add Madden, Roger, TD, Vanders, Neagle, Neale Daniher, Bake, Harvey and Bomba, Bewick the list truly goes on and on. We have had some great eras. Each feeling distinctly different despite players overlapping.

Many don't realise what it's like to have a gun side. Not many really make the mark in tbe last 10 to 15. Jobe and um...
I was so young in the 83-86 era I don’t remember much. I was at the 85 gf and remember daisy williams doing his thing… but the Wanganeen interview just reminded me how much I loved him when I was only 14-15.

Not a regular poster but I just watched a replay of my all time favourite bomber on Open Mike…and with all the negative stuff about our club I just felt the need to express some happy memories. I’m 44 years old and my top ten to watch in MY lifetime are as follows:
Gavin Wanganeen
James Hird
Jobe Watson
Mark Mercuri
Matty Lloyd
Michael Long
Mark Harvey
Jason Johnson
Joe Misiti
Derek Kickett

Sigh 😔 no one current comes close.
Walla would be on my list. Have loved the Nick Martin story so that is probably most favourite at the moment. Other recent favourites have been Joe and Fanta, so that's a pretty bad sign for Nick Martin. Tim Watson and Wanganeen from days gone past. And Hird.

I was so young in the 83-86 era I don’t remember much. I was at the 85 gf and remember daisy williams doing his thing… but the Wanganeen interview just reminded me how much I loved him when I was only 14-15.
Those 2 flags were special - that list my favourite of the lot really. 93 was sensational after being gutted in 1990. 2000 felt like total and utter domination. Almost like we we're meant to be at the top. Like It was our right.

Actually I really hope that those who haven't experienced us as a powerhouse get to enjoy that in the next 5 or 10 years or so. You remember the games and the years so much more vividly when you win flags :)

Edit: Whenever we are the best in the comp we are always highly skilled and tough. I get a much better feeling about the last crop coming through than the Merrett/Parish lot (whuch I've been sayingfor years now). Hobbs, Caldwell, Martin, Perkins all look far more like the future Essendon premiership players for mine.

Last edited:
Walla would be on my list. Have loved the Nick Martin story so that is probably most favourite at the moment. Other recent favourites have been Joe and Fanta, so that's a pretty bad sign for Nick Martin. Tim Watson and Wanganeen from days gone past. And Hird.
Martin is the ONLY positive out of this season. He looks like he could be a real jet. If he makes my top ten watchable in 10 years time I think we will all be happy😬😬

Was always a fan of Darren Bewick growing up.
Boris stiff to be out of my top ten, understand why others would have him in. His 93 prelim game was the stuff of legends!!! And for some reason I always remember a 65 meter torp goal he kicked against Fitzroy in Tassie. And of course his 8 goal game against the cats in centenary game. Freak!!!

Martin is the ONLY positive out of this season. He looks like he could be a real jet. If he makes my top ten watchable in 10 years time I think we will all be happy😬😬
Not a Zach Reid fan? Think he's been quietly assured

Not a Zach Reid fan? Think he's been quietly assured
Agree he looks promising… a bit laconic but maybe just him. Would love to see a Mitch Robinson when he was with Carlton type as a defender. Just a young, raw, aggressive dude who opponents look over their shoulder for… but I guess that’s a discussion for another day. Reid def looks promising 👍🏻

Tim Watson
Terry Daniher
Mark Thompson
Mark Harvey
Michael Long
Mark Mecuri
Gavin Wanganeen
Darren Bewick
Dustin Fletcher
James Hird
Blake Caracella
Dean Rioli
Dean Solomon
Rick Olarenshaw
Adam Ramanauskas
Scott Lucas
Jobe Watson
Brendon Goddard
Cale Hooker
Anthony McDonald-Tippungwuti

I reckon Mason Redman and Nick Martin might end there too

EDIT: oh top ten, hmmm

Mark Mecuri
Tim Watson
Michael Long
James Hird
Scott Lucas
Darren Bewick
Dustin Fletcher
Gavin Wanganeen
Jobe Watson

Last edited:
Tim Watson
Terry Daniher
Mark Thompson
Mark Harvey
Michael Long
Mark Mecuri
Gavin Wanganeen
Darren Bewick
Dustin Fletcher
James Hird
Blake Caracella
Dean Rioli
Dean Solomon
Rick Olarenshaw
Adam Ramanauskas
Scott Lucas
Jobe Watson
Brendon Goddard
Cale Hooker

I reckon Mason Redman and Nick Martin might end there too

EDIT: oh top ten, hmmm

Mark Mecuri
Tim Watson
Michael Long
James Hird
Scott Lucas
Darren Bewick
Dustin Fletcher
Gavin Wanganeen
Jobe Watson
Fletch had an unbelievably high footy IQ. His decision making with ball in hand was impeccable. Current players only Merret I trust to generally make good decisions… oh and 9 gamer Nick Martin.

Fletch had an unbelievably high footy IQ. His decision making with ball in hand was impeccable. Current players only Merret I trust to generally make good decisions… oh and 9 gamer Nick Martin.
Yep, like Mercuri who if I had to choose favourite all time might be him. So damn smart and skilled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hird
T.Watson
S.Madden
G.Wanganeen
T.Daniher
Lloyd
M.Long
Fletcher
Lucas
N.Daniher

Lots of good players left off. Salmon, Tippa, Neagle, Harvey and the Johnsons to name a few

Always had a soft spot for Caracella, such a classy and graceful player who rarely wasted a possession. I was a thin fella growing up who wore the long sleeved jumpers so naturally I gravitated towards him!

I've spent way too much time on this...and probably still forgotten someone obvious.

1. Bewick
2. M. Harvey
3. Misiti
4. Hird
5. Lloyd
6. Hooker
7. JJ
8. Mercuri
9. Hardwick
10. Fletcher
11. Lucas
12. Rioli