My best lineup for North in 2002

Remove this Banner Ad

partygirl35

Rookie
Sep 11, 2001
near sunbury
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Here is where I think the best lineup for the club is even though the list have not been done:
B: Blakey,Martyn?(if we don't pick him up in the draft again) Watt, Teague
HB: Archer, McCartney, Pickett
C: King, Simpson, Grant
HF: Makepeace, Carey, Morrell
F: Sinclair, Rocca, Colbert
Foll: Porter, Stevens, Harvey
Inter: Burke. Smith, Petrie, S.Motlop
Emerg: Rawlings, Jones, Mclaren
What is everyones opinion on there best lineup for the club

Of the players currently available :

B : Colbert Martyn Makepeace
HB : Teague McCartney Blakey
C : Sinclair Grant King
HF : Pickett Carey Archer
F : D.Motlop Rocca Harvey
R : Porter Simpson Stevens
IC : Burton/Petrie McLaren Harris Jones

Strong spine, and a good mix on the bench.

team for rnd 1, with a bit of crystal balling.

fb. Blakey, Watt, Colbert
hb. King, McCartney, Teague
c. Harvey, Harris, Grant
hf. Pickett, Archer, Jones
ff. Rocca, Carey, Moorcroft
rk. Porter, Simpson
r. Stevens
int. Burton, Burke, Sinclair, Cole
emg. Petrie, Morrell, D.Motlop, Smith, Rawlings

Watt will be given an chance to prove himself ahead of Martyn.
Harris will excell at the feet of Porter and Burton.
Moorcroft, if he goes in the pre-season draft, we will pick him up.
Burke will be given every chance early on.
Cole to be our first pick and will get a start with impressive off-season.
D.Motlop not quite ready but very close.
Smith will be pushing Harris and Cole for a spot.

P.S. Apologies to no35 fans.

Originally posted by partygirl35
Here is where I think the best lineup for the club is even though the list have not been done:
B: Blakey,Martyn?(if we don't pick him up in the draft again) Watt, Teague
HB: Archer, McCartney, Pickett
C: King, Simpson, Grant
HF: Makepeace, Carey, Morrell
F: Sinclair, Rocca, Colbert
Foll: Porter, Stevens, Harvey
Inter: Burke. Smith, Petrie, S.Motlop
Emerg: Rawlings, Jones, Mclaren
What is everyones opinion on there best lineup for the club
Jones

I would definatly let him play all 26 matches:D

• Banned
Thanks Kangas_ Big_Fan for pointing out that I left Burton out of the sideI put him on the bench and leave out S.Motlop.
Go Roos in 2002!!!

Originally posted by partygirl35
Thanks Kangas_ Big_Fan for pointing out that I left Burton out of the sideI put him on the bench and leave out S.Motlop.
Go Roos in 2002!!!

And while ur at it make bourke emergency and put jones in and then put jones on a forward flank and morrel on the bench.

Can u confirm this???

you would give porter a run before spider
porter dosent have the skill to be first ruckman

My team for 2002

B Teague Watt Archer
HBBourke McCartney Blakey
C Grant Simpson King
HFColbert Rocca Pickett
F Sinclair Carey Jones
Foll Porter Stevens Harvey
Int Burton S.Motlop Makepeace McLaren

I say give Bourke a chance and if he plays awful put him in the Muzzas!

B:S Motlop Martyn Colbert
HB: Blakey McCartney Teague
C: King Simpson Grant
HF: Pickett Carey Jones
F:Archer Rocca D Motlop
Foll: Porter Stevens
Rov:Harvey
Inter: Petrie Sinclair Harris Watt
Emerg D Smith McLaren Burton

B: Makepeace Colbert Archer
HB: Blakey McCartney S.Motlop
C: King Harvey Sinclair
HF: Simpson Carey Jones
F: Pickett Rocca D.Smith
Foll: Porter Stevens Grant

Inter: Burton, D.Motlop, Rawlings, Morrell

Emer: Watt, Harris, Petrie

Current players , here goes.......

FB 2 4 35

HB 11 5 12

C 9 6 34

HF 21 18 32?

FF 28 26 29

R 22 7 10

IC Ex tiger/20 8 14 36

What happens in the pre season comp (if there is one) and the draft will probably change my mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some queries on these sides-

Teague and Jones are surely automatic inclusions for 2002?

Why do so many people assume Dylan will have overhauled Makepeace's spot? Troy's been very consistent.

Does anyone think Burton, Porter and Petrie can all fit in the same side? Is there any chance Spider may get 1st ruck ahead of Porter??? (competition might improve him further)

How does Digby go in defence?

If some people are including Teague and Morrell, are we assuming Hilts and Harding will not be promoted?

Not confident in Jason as the 'main man' in defence. Better suited to 3rd defender/John Barker style drifer maybe? (strong mark, long kick) Mind you, noone else has exactly seized CHB from him!

Originally posted by King Corey
Some queries on these sides-

Teague and Jones are surely automatic inclusions for 2002?

Teague played the last ten or so games of the season with plenty of time on the field, and so, it's reasonable to assume that he will be given further chances at the start of next season.

As for Jones, I'm keeping in mind his great first half vs Richmond in round 21, and the attitude he showed when playing for the MKs after getting dropped for his indiscretions at the Team of the Century dinner.

Why do so many people assume Dylan will have overhauled Makepeace's spot? Troy's been very consistent.

A fair question, especially since Makepeace has been picked for the side whenever he's been fit in the last two seasons. I put him as an emergency, and that's a bit harsh. In regards to Smith (and for that matter, Harris), I think we regard Smith and Harris as more talented footballers and we're hoping that they'll take the next step. But Makepeace gets the most out of his abilities, so maybe on another day, it would have been Makepeace on the bench and Jones (rather than Smith/Harris) as an emergency.

Does anyone think Burton, Porter and Petrie can all fit in the same side? Is there any chance Spider may get 1st ruck ahead of Porter??? (competition might improve him further)

I don't think so. The side becomes too tall, and none of these ruckman are particularly pacey. Early last year, Pagan tried to fit Burton, McKernan, and Capuano all into the same side and none of them seemed to be able to seize and take control of their role in the team. I had Porter as first ruck with Burton as support, simply on the basis that Petrie is still learning his trade.

Better ask Darky that one....he's keen on the idea of Diggers as a defender.

If some people are including Teague and Morrell, are we assuming Hilts and Harding will not be promoted?

I think Teague and Morrell will hold their spots, that Harding despite plenty of goals at VFL level doesn't look to me as if he'll take it to the next level, while Hilton.....hmmm....I reckon Watt is still first choice on Pagan's list to take over from Mick.

Not confident in Jason as the 'main man' in defence. Better suited to 3rd defender/John Barker style drifer maybe? (strong mark, long kick) Mind you, noone else has exactly seized CHB from him!

I think that defences work better as units.....take a look at the Melbourne no-name backline of 2000.....we need someone who can co-ordinate the defence.....that was something that is very under-rated when it comes to Mick Martyn...he was very good at making sure that his fellow defenders kept to their positions and covered each other when they needed to move out of position. But I'm happy with McCartney at CHB.

The other thing everybody seems to be overlooking is that Stevo probably won't be ready at the start of the season.
Yes, we all recognise his fanatical courage. Yes, we all remember he said he would be right to play at the start of the year.

The reality is:
1. He is on the wrong side of 30 and if he is to continue to play for a few more seasons some caution would be advised.
2. He has already suffered one early setback with an infection. Can only prolong the rehab.
3. We know he played in the GF with a stuffed ankle. Look at the impact that had on his performance in 2000. Was still carrying that injury for the whole year, and took him till 2001 to get over it.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see him out there. But that might be a bit wishful.

Originally posted by Shinboners

Better ask Darky that one....he's keen on the idea of Diggers as a defender.

I'm an unashamed fan of the Digby For Defence movement.

With Hilton having only played one game, and Watt having played 20-odd and being beaten in most of them (part of the learning cureve - I understand that), the full back post is far from settled.

If Martyn departs this year, McCartney is our best and most reliable FB, even if he is more often used at CHB.

I think Morrell at CHB and McCartney at FB is better than a McCartney CHB and Watt FB combination.

As I've said previously, for someone who supposedly has great pace for a big guy, Watt seems to spend a lot of the time chasing full-forwards arses. That's fine if you're at the Mardi Gras with Mr(?).Lloyd, but at the MCG getting bags kicked on you, you're being outclassed.

Morrell struggled to find a spot in the 2001 forward line ahead of Rocca, McKernan, Carey, and Colbert. The departure of McKernan and L.Smith does open the doors a little more, but I originally suggested Diggers for CHB because our defensive frailty was a better chance for him to cement a key spot, with McCartney being our only settled key defender.

Diggers is a fantastic reserves player, who gets limited game time in the seniors. He is physically more ready than Watt, has better skills than, and similar strength to Hilton, talks and shows good leadership, and has physical presence. A bit of aggro now and then, plus an uncanny ability to read the play AND find space...this guy is too good to languish in the twos, but maybe not good enough to be a star forward - why not try him at CHB where beinmg a solid and consistent player is more importnat than flashy skills.

You can't guarantee it will work and turn him into a champion, but with our weaknesses in defence, it can't bloody hurt.

PS - If you're asking yourself how frail our backline is... we traded for David FRIGGEN Bourke! :mad:

Totally agree. He has that 'look' which i guess is in reality the ability to read play, choose the right options and react quickly. His skills are better than average and you're right in saying he has presence. It's not just because he looks older, but I do think of him as a 25 year old player because of the way he carries himself and plays...

Could be a classy defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back