My Bloody Valentine Loveless

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, possibly the best visual representation of their sound, from one of their 2008 concerts, as far as I know.

photo.jpg

Yeah, a very good album. So cohesive and dense in atmosphere, but it's weirdly melodic as well. It's just one of those albums, you listen to it and wonder how music could be that good. Their early EPs are really cool too.

Yep. Pretty much all this. :thumbsu:

One of only a few albums ever that just blew me away on first listen

Are there any shoegaze bands that came close to replicating Loveless, stylistically? I've been recommended Ride and Slowdive, and they're seen as two poster bands for the genre, but they don't sound anything like MBV, and are closer to dream pop.

Reckon the nearest parallel is a band like Jesu.

Wrapt their catalogue is now on Spotify, as an aside. Really like M B V when it came out, but it's not at the level of either of their first LP's. And Loveless is in an entire league of it's own.

Are there any shoegaze bands that came close to replicating Loveless, stylistically? I've been recommended Ride and Slowdive, and they're seen as two poster bands for the genre, but they don't sound anything like MBV, and are closer to dream pop.

Reckon the nearest parallel is a band like Jesu.

Wrapt their catalogue is now on Spotify, as an aside. Really like M B V when it came out, but it's not at the level of either of their first LP's. And Loveless is in an entire league of it's own.
Slowdive's song 'when the sun hits' is amazing. Maybe try Jesus and Mary Chain, Medicine, or Crosses?

Are there any shoegaze bands that came close to replicating Loveless, stylistically?

I don't think anyone has really matched the creative timelessness of that album within the shoegaze genre. They had great songs and matched it with guitars that make you feel like you're flying or are at an incredible party. Just really hard to pull off for one singular album.

Slowdive's first few records are really good though. You had a good Lush record around that time. There's been some other ones too.

To pull from that point, i now look at other biggish bands that are out there.

I'm talking about bands like your coldplay's and foo fighters, even pearl jam and add many more to that list, how basic their music sounds even after hindsight and earning enough to buy whatever musical equipment they went so they can then tap into a really nice creative world. But, Nup!

Last edited:
Slowdive's song 'when the sun hits' is amazing. Maybe try Jesus and Mary Chain, Medicine, or Crosses?

That exact song has come to my attention recently - love it. Not exactly MBV style though, but tbf Isn’t Anything and M B V don’t even sound like Loveless.

The other few I’ve been recommended and will have to go through at some point.

I don't think anyone has really matched the creative timelessness of that album within the shoegaze genre. They had great songs and matched it with guitars that make you feel like you're flying or are at an incredible party. Just really hard to pull off for one singular album.

Slowdive's first few records are really good though. You had a good Lush record around that time. There's been some other ones too.

I'm talking about bands like your coldplay's and foo fighters, even pearl jam and add many more to that list, how basic their music sounds even after hindsight and earning enough to buy whatever musical equipment they want so they can then tap into a really nice creative world. But, Nup! Instead it's really basic and cliched, often. Then many say "well they've grown and grown on each album. Realistically I think the opposite.

It’s a bit of a fine line in shoegaze between sounding good and bad at times.

Probably why noise rock bands don’t really attempt a lot of the kind of sounds MBV make. It either costs a lot of production time or money or ends up sounding overwrought and/or ruins the melodic quality of the music.

It’s a bit of a fine line in shoegaze between sounding good and bad at times.

Probably why noise rock bands don’t really attempt a lot of the kind of sounds MBV make. It either costs a lot of production time or money or ends up sounding overwrought and/or ruins the melodic quality of the music.

Absolutely, but i think music is at that point now. Every genre, ballad, heavy song, acoustic, has been done over and over again. Rehashed. I really like that Shoegaze sort of reminds me of electronic music which gives me a similar buzz! You can do way more with sound and noise and so on. I think with guitars it's a good time to experiment with pedals and noise even if it yields some rubbish, sometimes that has to happen to reach the really cool sounding stuff. I'm still waiting for a truly phenonemal album that showcases how awesome guitar pedals and distortion can actually be. Yes it's expensive, but we live in times where people are buying million dollar properties and have the highest wages in history. People have cash to splash on equipment.

I have a decent Mooer pedal setup, it's a bit cheaper then other pedals but the potential to include sound and noise (crafted well) in music is just so under-utilised. I probably couldn't make a Loveless because you need the studio space and they had a million dollar budget.

Rage are playing a Shoegaze/Dream Pop special on tonight. My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, M83, The Jesus And Mary Chain, Swervedriver, Mazzy Star and my favourites Curve and Lush are some of the artists on the playlist tonight. I must admit I wasn't a big fan of many of the Shoegaze bands at the time, but I have been warming to them over recent years. The early 90's indie rock period was one of my favourite music periods, so I'm hoping to hear a few songs that I may have heard 30 years ago and dismissed, or don't remember hearing and find interesting now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back