Coach My case for Brad Scott as the next AFC coach

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
You guys haven't heard the scuttlebut about Brad Scott? Surely it's done the rounds on BigFooty by now?
I haven't been on in a while so maybe I've just missed it, but in case it hasn't appeared, here goes...

So basically Scott's behaviour and general professionalism increasingly became a problem after signing his last contract (supposedly some employees raised concerns even before that, but I don't have any specifics). I'll list some of the things that I have been told;
  • On more than one occasion, without explaination, failed to attend match committee meetings. The head coach failed to attend match committee. This despite being on the premises at the time that match committee took place.
  • Missed several other scheduled, club related meetings without explaination, for most of which he was on the premises at the time.
  • Missed club functions that he was required to attend despite being on the premises (I know this one has been reported in the media).
  • Sulked in his office for 2 full weeks after NM missed on Dustin Martin in FA. His assistants were required to take on his duties without any direction from him. (Was Martin ever really going to sign there? NM and GWS were just leverage for a better contract weren't they?)
  • Virtually had no relationship with any player under 21 or 22 y/o. He spent next to no time with any of NM's young players, he left this exclusively up to his assistants. Is it any wonder that some very talented kids NM have had haven't really developed until now?
  • Described as writing-off or blacklisting players based on their personality or other non-football related qualities (Cam Zuurhar being an example given).

So I'm not sure that Brad Scott would be a great appointment for AFC, or anyone for that matter

Well, ok... but apart from that, can you think of any reason why we shouldn't hire him? :p

But seriously - do you think he'd be interested in a director of football role? If not, can you think of anybody else who would be interested? You seem like a smart guy - what about you? Do you have a job? Do you want one? Will you be our head of football? Failing that, did you pass any hobos on the street today who looked like they might want a job?

cdcanman

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Well, ok... but apart from that, can you think of any reason why we shouldn't hire him? :p

But seriously - do you think he'd be interested in a director of football role? If not, can you think of anybody else who would be interested? You seem like a smart guy - what about you? Do you have a job? Do you want one? Will you be our head of football? Failing that, did you pass any hobos on the street today who looked like they might want a job?
I feel your frustration.
I worry that Adelaide are in a similar position to what Richmond were in until 10 years or so ago, Collingwood maybe 20 years ago and what Carlton and Essendon are only just coming out the other end of now. They were all clubs that were still being run like it was 1980. Hadn't modernised and kept up with the modern game or modern sport in general, and eventually this impacts on-field performance. Richmond are a really great recent example of what can be achieved, and relatively quickly, when you get your off-field personal and structure right. On-field success can and will follow.
You'd know the inner-workings of AFC better than I, but outside looking in, they look like a club who thought success would just always happen by virtue of the fact that 'we are AFC', so in turn did a lot of naval-gazing, listened to the same 'club voices', always appoint from within 'AFC people' and there you have it! You have yourself a nice old dumpster fire.
With your club being so well resourced too, they can turn it around very quickly, if they make the right appointments. People like Roo and Burton need to go on top of Chapman and Pyke

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You guys haven't heard the scuttlebut about Brad Scott? Surely it's done the rounds on BigFooty by now?
I haven't been on in a while so maybe I've just missed it, but in case it hasn't appeared, here goes...

So basically Scott's behaviour and general professionalism increasingly became a problem after signing his last contract (supposedly some employees raised concerns even before that, but I don't have any specifics). I'll list some of the things that I have been told;
  • On more than one occasion, without explaination, failed to attend match committee meetings. The head coach failed to attend match committee. This despite being on the premises at the time that match committee took place.
  • Missed several other scheduled, club related meetings without explaination, for most of which he was on the premises at the time.
  • Missed club functions that he was required to attend despite being on the premises (I know this one has been reported in the media).
  • Sulked in his office for 2 full weeks after NM missed on Dustin Martin in FA. His assistants were required to take on his duties without any direction from him. (Was Martin ever really going to sign there? NM and GWS were just leverage for a better contract weren't they?)
  • Virtually had no relationship with any player under 21 or 22 y/o. He spent next to no time with any of NM's young players, he left this exclusively up to his assistants. Is it any wonder that some very talented kids NM have had haven't really developed until now?
  • Described as writing-off or blacklisting players based on their personality or other non-football related qualities (Cam Zuurhar being an example given).

So I'm not sure that Brad Scott would be a great appointment for AFC, or anyone for that matter

Can confirm is true and some of the main reasons why he got the boot. He is smug, arrogant and only cares about himself, was so happy to see the back of him. The media plays him out to be a messiah so everyone be careful not to get sucked in

Dixie Normous

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can confirm is true and some of the main reasons why he got the boot. He is smug, arrogant and only cares about himself, was so happy to see the back of him. The media plays him out to be a messiah so everyone be careful not to get sucked in

Came across like this when he played too. How the f*** does a head coach miss a match committee meeting and get away with it. Surprised North kept him as long as they did, they deserve better

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
OK - we are at an extreme low. Things can get crazy when it all goes this bad. I get it. But ...

I think Brad Scott would be a good choice as Adelaide's next coach.

He is experienced, passionate, genuine and brutally honest.

He understands the non-Victorian club thing really well. (his time as a player in Brisbane)

He dealt with the moving on of long term players with aplomb.

He had a healthy relationship with his players.

He made North's list better even though they had NO pulling power at all.

He built a really good list of assistants at North.

He did the absolute right thing by North at the end of his tenure ... this may not count in some people's eyes, but for me it shows an integrity I want in our coach. I don't want to hear our coach say "I'm contracted for two more years" as the reason for no-one to question his tenure. (When Jenkins says "I've got a contract" everyone explodes, when Pyke said it a few weeks ago no-one batted an eyelid. To me it's a terrible attitude.)

I compare him to Pyke ... and the other options around the place, and I see some really important points of difference.
Lost me at the title of the thread. No to Scott or Lyon. Scott will never coach again imo.

He'd be a clear upgrade on Campo. Would at least bring a bit of fire into the coaching box. The muppets we have now all have the same monotoned, uninspiring way of talking.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
If Brad Scott coached a WA or SA team and had the same coaching record he would’ve been sacked about five years ago.

This bloke coached a decade without a GF appearance, the fact he’s even still in the conversation is a credit to the amount of bulls**t he’s able to sell.
Like North is a destination club lol

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Brad Scott coached a WA or SA team and had the same coaching record he would’ve been sacked about five years ago.

This bloke coached a decade without a GF appearance, the fact he’s even still in the conversation is a credit to the amount of bulls**t he’s able to sell.
then explain how Hinkley is still running around

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
He is a horrible coach. 10 seasons with a highest home and away finish of 6th or 7th. Very much in control of list management as well.

Heard this morning that Stephen Rowe wants him to be the next coach. When that mentally deficient bloke favours you....
The reasons he gave were humorous as well - one of them being because Brad apparently talks well...

Avoid Brad Scott at all costs. Terrible coach, with a very, very underwhelming record.

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
He is a horrible coach. 10 seasons with a highest home and away finish of 6th or 7th. Very much in control of list management as well.

Heard this morning that Stephen Rowe wants him to be the next coach. When that mentally deficient bloke favours you....
The reasons he gave were humorous as well - one of them being because Brad apparently talks well...

Avoid Brad Scott at all costs. Terrible coach, with a very, very underwhelming record.

He's probably just read this thread.

Back