Coach My case for Brad Scott as the next AFC coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
OK - we are at an extreme low. Things can get crazy when it all goes this bad. I get it. But ...

I think Brad Scott would be a good choice as Adelaide's next coach.

He is experienced, passionate, genuine and brutally honest.

He understands the non-Victorian club thing really well. (his time as a player in Brisbane)

He dealt with the moving on of long term players with aplomb.

He had a healthy relationship with his players.

He made North's list better even though they had NO pulling power at all.

He built a really good list of assistants at North.

He did the absolute right thing by North at the end of his tenure ... this may not count in some people's eyes, but for me it shows an integrity I want in our coach. I don't want to hear our coach say "I'm contracted for two more years" as the reason for no-one to question his tenure. (When Jenkins says "I've got a contract" everyone explodes, when Pyke said it a few weeks ago no-one batted an eyelid. To me it's a terrible attitude.)

I compare him to Pyke ... and the other options around the place, and I see some really important points of difference.

I don’t want him but IMO he’s of a strong enough character that he would come in and shake the off field up a bit.

Imagine Burton trying to boss him around? I reckon he’d deck him so that’s a massive positive

As a Head Coach, no thanks.

But definitely as an Assistant. Him and his brother have had our game plan worked out for a long time. Who better to fix it.

I don’t want him but IMO he’s of a strong enough character that he would come in and shake the off field up a bit.

Imagine Burton trying to boss him around? I reckon he’d deck him so that’s a massive positive
Remember there is no "perfect" coach out there. We need to address our biggest flaws ... and someone like Brad has the experience to know when something stinks, backed up by the strength of character to not fall into line for a sniff.

My god, how low have we sunk that this seems like a valid argument.

Yep ... that was my initial feeling too. I think we need to acknowledge where we are, and what we need to get ourselves back to a position where we are actually pushing for a premiership. I reckon Brad would be on board with everything I see as important in the next phase of our club actually winning a flag.

Our last four coaching appointments have been first timers

Might be time to go with someone who's been in the chair before? Brad Scott not the ideal option but slender options.

Does need a strong person who knows the exact structure and personnel he wants. Not someone who'll accept the status quo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be time to go with someone who's been in the chair before? Brad Scott not the ideal option but slender options.

Does need a strong person who knows the exact structure and personnel he wants. Not someone who'll accept the status quo.

This is the key. Needs to be someone with the backbone to say and get what they want and not to fold to Campo, Burton and the old Neil Craig philosophies.
He might be flawed as a coach but if he's able to sweep that crap from the club I'd take it every day.

OK - we are at an extreme low. Things can get crazy when it all goes this bad. I get it. But ...

I think Neil Craig would be a good choice as Adelaide's next coach.

Fixed it for you.

Neil coached 177 games for zero grand final appearances compared to Brad’s 211, and has a better winning percentage.

#bringbackneil

:think:

Sounds like the perfect job for Rodney Eade or Mick Malthouse

:think:

Sounds like the perfect job for Rodney Eade or Mick Malthouse
I reckon those guys are done, as head coaches anyway. Their last coaching appointments were dire affairs. Everyone has a use by date.

I reckon those guys are done, as head coaches anyway. Their last coaching appointments were dire affairs. Everyone has a use by date.

Brad Scott coached North for 9 years. In only two of those years did he win a final. Zero grand final appearances. In five out of nine years he managed 10 or 11 home and away wins, enough to sit just outside the eight.

That's pretty dire. The exact sort of resume we don't want

Brad Scott coached North for 9 years. In only two of those years did he win a final. Zero grand final appearances. In five out of nine years he managed 10 or 11 home and away wins, enough to sit just outside the eight.

That's pretty dire. The exact sort of resume we don't want
Yeah I'm open to better options

But he had a pretty ordinary list in that time at a club with zero money and zero drawing power as far as recruits though

There are a few established assistants around who would be good eg Caracella.

Mind you it's a Head of Football that we need to prioritise.

Yeah I'm open to better options

He had a pretty ordinary list in that time at a club with zero money and zero drawing power as far as recruits though

The obvious option for experienced senior coaches is Brett Ratten

The obvious option for experienced senior coaches is Brett Ratten
His record is average too

Has gone up in estimations only since getting sacked and Malthouse/Bolton being worse.

At the time Blues fans thought he stunk and were glad he was gone.

His record is average too

Has gone up in estimations only since getting sacked and Malthouse/Bolton being worse.

At the time Blues fans thought he stunk and were glad he was gone.

Has a better record than Brad Scott.

Excluding his time as a caretaker coach, he took Carlton to finals three times out of five seasons, compared to Scott's four times in nine seasons. Higher winning percentage (slightly). Only had a sub-50% win loss record in one season, compared to four for Scott.

Also has Hawthorn experience

North were perennially topping up with the best available who was willing to take their money

Guaranteed mediocrity as they never had the pulling power to trade for real talent, or the draft picks to draft real talent

Brad Scott was definitely part of that approach. He did a reasonable job in the circumstances.

Did Brad drive that approach?

Or did he go along with it but could coach differently in different circumstances?

Right now I think we need to play lots of kids, be awful for a couple of years while the kids we have develop and new ones are drafted.

Therefore I think we need a mentor who can have uncomfortable conversations which drive improvement while keeping morale reasonable through losing seasons and player turnover.

Hardwick a great example of a coach like this.

I don’t think Don is capable. Brad maybe but his record hasn’t shown it.

Regardless I suppose what the AFC will think we need is someone to get the best out of our “we can beat anyone on our day” quality list. Brad Scott has demonstrated experience with that approach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back