Coach My case for Brad Scott as the next AFC coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I hear what people are saying ... but if you are going to go on coaches with a great record, who would that be exactly? Are we delusional enough to think that Hardwick or Clarkson are gonna stroll over the border for the challenge?

If you are picking an untried coach, which one do you think can handle a club like ours ... they'd have to be a senior assistant like a Fagan / Walsh type. Who is that? I don't see one putting his hand up.

I agree that Head of Football is an essential ingredient, but are we actually going to try 2020 with Pyke coaching with the prospect of not "hitting his KPIs" meaning the absolute end for him? Can you imagine that negativity hanging around the squads neck? Trying to win enough games to justify his role AGAIN. I'd rather a fresh start.

For me, Scott is a good candidate. He ticks a lot of boxes and I think he could become a top notch coach - that develops a top notch football department - given a decent run in a well-funded environment. His expectations / habits would not match many in the AFC coaches box right now.

Has a better record than Brad Scott.

Excluding his time as a caretaker coach, he took Carlton to finals three times out of five seasons, compared to Scott's four times in nine seasons. Higher winning percentage (slightly). Only had a sub-50% win loss record in one season, compared to four for Scott.

Also has Hawthorn experience
So does Brendon Bolton and he's coached Carlton too.

Peter Sumich would come for the head coach job.

Darren Glass has "Hawthorn" experience too.

Guaranteed mediocrity as they never had the pulling power to trade for real talent, or the draft picks to draft real talent.
Right now I think we need to play lots of kids, be awful for a couple of years while the kids we have develop and new ones are drafted.
Therefore I think we need a mentor who can have uncomfortable conversations which drive improvement while keeping morale reasonable through losing seasons and player turnover.
Thoughtful and measured response, respect :thumbsu: .

To you and OutofTownCrow I'd ask:
If you were a current Head Coach, a former Head Coach, or a future Head Coach with career aspirations, innovative ideas that exploit the new rules, passion for the game and a plan to make real, positive change and improvement within a Club, would you seek to Coach AFC now, with its ageing, rusted-on, Old Boys' Club Assistants, ageing list, and with Fagan/Chapman/Roo telling you what to do?

Yeah, nor would I. :(

Replace one failed coach with another, brilliant.

Scott is s**t.

North are good at PR for sacked coaches.

They acted as though Laidley was a gun, even though they got rid of him. They're acting the same here.

He was fired mid season because he's a failure - we shouldn't go anywhere near him (unless it is as an assistant).

I will see your Brad Scott and raise you a Hue Jackson

That is the game we are playing in this thread right??
w-digitalspy-com-whats-next-for-wolverine-e-gif.730125

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sumich wouldn’t come if we sacked his mate.. presuming pyke would tell him what a s**tshow the club is..

LOL

A bloke that's coveted a head coach gig in the AFL for yonks and been surprisingly overlooked a number of times would knock it back......You can get set with me on that.

Last edited:
Thoughtful and measured response, respect :thumbsu: .

To you and OutofTownCrow I'd ask:
If you were a current Head Coach, a former Head Coach, or a future Head Coach with career aspirations, innovative ideas that exploit the new rules, passion for the game and a plan to make real, positive change and improvement within a Club, would you seek to Coach AFC now, with its ageing, rusted-on, Old Boys' Club Assistants, ageing list, and with Fagan/Chapman/Roo telling you what to do?

Yeah, nor would I. :(
There are not many AFL head coaching gigs going around. Scott wants to be a career coach, of course he'd come to AFC.

The point you make is why I'd want someone with some experience. I'm sure Walsh didn't come in and say "ok - you guys tell me what I want, and how to do my job and I'll just follow along like good little lamb." I'd expect Scott to be quite strong in his beliefs by now, and I don't see him just towing the Ol' Boys line ... he is the antithesis of the Adelaide Crows boys club.

Yeah, would rather him as an assistant and keep Pyke for another season, then Brad Scott as a head coach.

I'm not as cold on Pyke as most, and I do reckon he's salvageable if we get rid of the more problematic pieces. At worse, it gives a bit of stability to allow a new head of football/whatever Rob Chapman does to find his/her feet and start to instigate changes. It's a two off-seasons fix after all

Yeah, would rather him as an assistant and keep Pyke for another season, then Brad Scott as a head coach.

I'm not as cold on Pyke as most, and I do reckon he's salvageable if we get rid of the more problematic pieces. At worse, it gives a bit of stability to allow a new head of football/whatever Rob Chapman does to find his/her feet and start to instigate changes. It's a two off-seasons fix after all
I do not want any Scott Brother as a Coach .....no supporting evidence, they're any more than what we have in Pyke, maybe

Would Sumich coach Fremantle? Surely Lyon can't continue. They're going nowhere.

Pyke stays, Alan Richardson senior assistant. Sumich as director of football.

Camporeale and Burton off a cliff Thelma & Louise style

Remove this Banner Ad

Back