My Dream Richmond Offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

The smartest thing you could do imo is lure former Tiger Neil Balme to oversee the footy department.
Gubby Allen has just been jettisoned in to the Pies in his role. Make him a good offer, he'll fix your footy department up which is one of the first building blocks to success.

The smartest thing you could do imo is lure former Tiger Neil Balme to oversee the footy department.
Gubby Allen has just been jettisoned in to the Pies in his role. Make him a good offer, he'll fix your footy department up which is one of the first building blocks to success.
Absolutely

I was just thinking that everyone could have a crack at what they hope would be happening this off season in relation to the trade and draft periods.

I believe my attempt is pretty realistic and adds much needed talent and depth to our list.

Delisted:

Jake Batchelor Daniel Butler Jason Castagna

Andrew Moore

Retired:

Troy Chaplin Ivan Maric Reece McKenzie

Traded:

Reece Conca Shaun Grigg Liam McBean

Free Agency:

Ty Vickery

Trades:

Pick 6 & 2017 2nd Round Pick to GWS for Steele, Stewart & Pick 12.

Pick 12, Shaun Grigg & Pick 42 to GC for Prestia, Pick 28 & Pick 58.

McBean to Essendon for Pick 37 & 2017 4th Round Pick.

Pick 24, Pick 28 & Pick 37 to GWS for Pick 15, Pick 32 & Pick 52

Reece Conca to WCE for Pick 31

Compensation Selection: Pick 24

2016 Draft Picks:

Pick 15: Josh Rotham 192cm 79kg DEF (Adds a great user of the footy to the backline who can play small or tall)

Pick 31: Jy Simpkin 182cm 72kg MID/FOR (A great pressure forward that oozes class)

Pick 32: Patrick Kerr 194cm 93kg FOR (A quality tall forward with a great accuracy)

Pick 52: Matt Guelfi 184cm 78kg MID (Good inside midfielder with excellent foot skills)

Pick 58: Darcy Cameron 204cm 104kg RUCK (After the retirement of Maric we need a quality backup)

Pick 78: Jayden Short (Upgrade)

2016 Rookie Draft Picks:

Pick 6: Kayle Kirby 181cm 86kg FOR (Electric small forward but has issues with consistency and training attitudes)

Pick 24: Mitch McCarthy 196cm 87kg FOR/DEF (Raw athletic KPP with decent skills, just needs time to develop)

Best 22:

FB: Houli Astbury Grimes

HB: Yarran Rance Drummond

C: BEllis Cotchin McIntosh

HF: Deledio Riewoldt Lloyd

FF: Rioli Griffiths Stewart

Foll: Hampson Martin Prestia

Inter: Steele Vlastuin Miles CEllis

Reserves:

FB: Morris Moore Short

HB: Rotham McCarthy Broad

C: Markov Miles Menadue

HF: Lennon Elton Edwards

FF: Kirby Kerr Simpkin

Foll Cameron Marcon Lambert

Inter: Chol Townsend Hunt Guelfi Soldo

The reason that i have Drummond in the Best 22 is i believe he could become a great shut down defender which would allow Floss to move into the midfield.
I was just thinking that everyone could have a crack at what they hope would be happening this off season in relation to the trade and draft periods.

I believe my attempt is pretty realistic and adds much needed talent and depth to our list.

Delisted:

Jake Batchelor Daniel Butler Jason Castagna

Andrew Moore

Retired:

Troy Chaplin Ivan Maric Reece McKenzie

Traded:

Reece Conca Shaun Grigg Liam McBean

Free Agency:

Ty Vickery

Trades:

Pick 6 & 2017 2nd Round Pick to GWS for Steele, Stewart & Pick 12.

Pick 12, Shaun Grigg & Pick 42 to GC for Prestia, Pick 28 & Pick 58.

McBean to Essendon for Pick 37 & 2017 4th Round Pick.

Pick 24, Pick 28 & Pick 37 to GWS for Pick 15, Pick 32 & Pick 52

Reece Conca to WCE for Pick 31

Compensation Selection: Pick 24

2016 Draft Picks:

Pick 15: Josh Rotham 192cm 79kg DEF (Adds a great user of the footy to the backline who can play small or tall)

Pick 31: Jy Simpkin 182cm 72kg MID/FOR (A great pressure forward that oozes class)

Pick 32: Patrick Kerr 194cm 93kg FOR (A quality tall forward with a great accuracy)

Pick 52: Matt Guelfi 184cm 78kg MID (Good inside midfielder with excellent foot skills)

Pick 58: Darcy Cameron 204cm 104kg RUCK (After the retirement of Maric we need a quality backup)

Pick 78: Jayden Short (Upgrade)

2016 Rookie Draft Picks:

Pick 6: Kayle Kirby 181cm 86kg FOR (Electric small forward but has issues with consistency and training attitudes)

Pick 24: Mitch McCarthy 196cm 87kg FOR/DEF (Raw athletic KPP with decent skills, just needs time to develop)

Best 22:

FB: Houli Astbury Grimes

HB: Yarran Rance Drummond

C: BEllis Cotchin McIntosh

HF: Deledio Riewoldt Lloyd

FF: Rioli Griffiths Stewart

Foll: Hampson Martin Prestia

Inter: Steele Vlastuin Miles CEllis

Reserves:

FB: Morris Moore Short

HB: Rotham McCarthy Broad

C: Markov Miles Menadue

HF: Lennon Elton Edwards

FF: Kirby Kerr Simpkin

Foll Cameron Marcon Lambert

Inter: Chol Townsend Hunt Guelfi Soldo

The reason that i have Drummond in the Best 22 is i believe he could become a great shut down defender which would allow Floss to move into the midfield.
i like

Not sure? But they have salary cap pressure.

I say send next years first and downgrade our first for one first & Marchbank from GWS.

If they want to throw Steele in, even better.

No done deal 6 is gone to Prestia other situations should develop

Still the point is we only have one pick six

We can't get a gun kid plus trade it three times, we need to realise it's one choice and one choice only

And we will not get round ones for conca or Lennon or Edwards or Vickery, so we should kill that illusion now too

spot on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bombay sapphire is half price

My home brew tastes freaking awesome

The hangover is good enough to eventually erase this season from my memory

We need to put our players into the positions that suit their strengths again.

BEllis and Mcintosh back onto the wings. Vlastuin into the middle. Lloyd and Lambert not to rotate through the middle
Ideally Lambert wont be getting a game.

Still the point is we only have one pick six

We can't get a gun kid plus trade it three times, we need to realise it's one choice and one choice only

And we will not get round ones for conca or Lennon or Edwards or Vickery, so we should kill that illusion now too
No silly! We trade it three times but don't tell and the three clubs have to fight for it. We get three guns for one pick. :thumbsu:

Kirby will go within the first two rounds. Love to get him as a rookie but he is way too good for that.

Surely we have to completely clean out the coaches box now, extension or no extension. I'm not sure who should be our next coach, but I do think most of our list is good enough to at least deserve another look under a new regime. We're still very young, so there's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Other than a new coach and assistants (and whatever other non-playing heads that need to roll as a result), I think we should keep most of this list together and just plug some of the more obvious gaps this off-season.

At the moment, I believe we have 28 players under contract, leaving 11 senior list and 6 rookie list spots potentially open.

From the senior list, we already have retirement announcements from Chaplin and Mackenzie, and hopefully we convince Maric to sign as a VFL player/coach. I would also delist A.Moore, Lambert and Batchelor. Those three are all around 24/25 years of age and we can't afford to carry so many older fringe players.

I would offer one year extensions to Vickery, Conca, Griffiths, McBean and Butler. The first three are potentially more valuable to us under a new coach and gameplan than they would be in a trade or FA compensation. The latter two have barely turned 20 years old. Butler has had a rough run with injury and McBean still has time to build an AFL body and both are worth more than some pick in the 70s or 80s would be.

Of the six players on this year's rookie list, I would promote Short to the senior list and re-rookie Chol, C.Moore, Soldo and Castagna. The only one I would delist is Marcon, who is several years older than all the others and will surely want to follow his mate Lambert to wherever.

So now we have 34 senior list players and 4 rookies, leaving just five main list and two rookie spots to fill heading into the trade period and free agency.

Assuming Prestia still wants to come to us, I would try to get something like this done:

Richmond sends 2017 1st round pick, 2016 4th round pick to Gold Coast
Gold Coast sends Prestia, 2017 2nd round pick, 2016 3rd round pick to Richmond

So we swap our 1st for their 2nd next year, which could potentially be only a short drop if we bounce back to finals. Gold Coast have 6 picks in the first two rounds and I reckon they could be convinced to swap their 3rd rounder for our 4th this year in order to get a deal done. Our draft picks would now be: our own 1st rounder (6ish), our own and Gold Coast's 3rd rounders (both in 40s) and our own 5th rounder (around the 80s).

In the national draft, it's all about midfielders and we should grab the four best ones that we can with the picks we have. I don't know enough about the prospects to suggest names here, but I'd expect our 1st rounder should get us a gun and you'd hope to get at least one of the later picks right as well.

Those four draftees would bring the senior list up to 39, leaving just two rookie list spots to fill.

As we already have four young rookies (all aged 19/20), I would use the rookie draft to grab a couple of more experienced players to shore up some weaknesses. I think Soldo is developing well enough at VFL level, but if something happened to Hampson and Maric was no longer on the main list, we'd be stuffed. So, I'd be using our first rookie pick on an experienced ruck who can fill in at AFL level when needed but is otherwise content to leave VFL rucking to Soldo. Maybe Zac Clarke or Will Minson or whoever the cheapest, best option is. The second pick, I'd do the same for a key defender, possibly a Ricky Henderson or Mitch Brown. These guys are just on the list in case of injury, so they can be promoted if needed. One year deals.

So, the AFL and VFL teams for 2017 (age in brackets):

AFL

FB: Vlastuin (22) Rance (26) Grimes (25)
HB: Houli (28) Astbury (25) Yarran (25)
C: Grigg (28) Miles (24) McIntosh (22)
HF: Deledio (29) Riewoldt (27) Martin (25)
FF: Rioli (19) Griffiths (24) Lloyd (26)
R: Hampson (28) Cotchin (26) Prestia (23)

Int: C.Ellis (19) Markov (20) Menadue (19) Short (20)

VFL

FB: Morris (27) Elton (23) Chol (19)
HB: Hunt (25) ?Henderson (27)? Drummond (21)
C: Castagna (20) Townsend (23) B.Ellis (22)
HF: C.Moore (19) Vickery (26) Lennon (21)
FF: Butler (20) McBean (21) Edwards (27)
R: Soldo (20) Conca (23) ?Tigers 1st (18)?

Int: Broad (23) ?Clarke (26)? ?Suns 3rd (18)? ?Tigers 3rd (18)? ?Tigers 5th (18)?

And we win both flags. The end.

Ideal trades;
Pick 6 and next years 2nd or 3rd round GWS for Steele, Hoskin-Elliot and Geelong's 1st Round pick (maybe try pinch another player if possible)
Geelong's 1st round pick for Prestia
3rd or 4th pick for Cam Ellis-Yolmen
Vickery gone for end of first compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back