My External Hard Drive will not Power Up

Remove this Banner Ad

netslave

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Did you get this sorted?
Have you tried it with a few different computers?
Does it have a power adapter? The power brick may have just died or the cable for it maybe.
Can you feel or hear it spin at all when you turn it on?
Its rare that the hard drive would just completely die like that. The data on the drive is probably still saveable, take it to a PC tech shop if you can'r do without the data, that'll prob cost a bit though.

CaptchaProofBot

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I have an External Hard Drive that I just put something on it then I moved it to another Computer and now Nothing is Happening at All.

Does not power up at all.

Has it Died or is the Hard Drive Savable?
you could remove the casing and connect the HDD directly to a PC (via SATA cable most likely) to test if the HDD is still alive.

(it's called shucking a HDD)

is it one of these ? ( this is just a normal desktop HDD with a casing around it that's all)

or a little USB3 one like this

they just need a SATA (data) cable connected and naturally, a power cable connected to work, in the pic above, power go to the top row of pins, data go to the row next to that.

Naturally, if you're not confident in DIY...get help from professionals.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
you could remove the casing and connect the HDD directly to a PC (via SATA cable most likely) to test if the HDD is still alive.

(it's called shucking a HDD)

is it one of these ? ( this is just a normal desktop HDD with a casing around it that's all)

or a little USB3 one like this

they just need a SATA (data) cable connected and naturally, a power cable connected to work, in the pic above, power go to the top row of pins, data go to the row next to that.

Naturally, if you're not confident in DIY...get help from professionals.
Some are physically attached to the USB controller in the external case and can't be plugged into a PC, so it pays to look up your particular model to see if others have been able to do it.

CaptchaProofBot

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
found the link:

data recovery from $200

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad