Opinion My fathers Melbourne musings

Should this thread continue?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, on popular demand I'm creating a thread dedicated to mankind's greatest pessimist, my father. I plan to speak with him weekly to get his thoughts on the Dees progress, form and the other worldly optimism, less shame he's feeling for the first time since '64. He would have made a great poster and troll on BF had he been born post WW2.

Below is the first meaningful conversation we've in regards to the Dees in my life. It was quite insightful to pry the mind of an old man who's lived through a couple of decades of MFC success.

Called the old man the other day to discuss the win against the lions. To preface this, I consider myself the a truly great pessimist but I am a poor mans Pippen to my (81yo) fathers Jordanesque pessimism. To give you an idea, he went to bed before quarter time because we were behind and didn't even bother to check the score til the next day even though being up for a couple of hours in the middle of the night.

So, he watched the game later and we both agree it's getting bloody hard not to think we have a good team. He made the following observations:
  • That ginger nut seems like a good player with an unassuming strength that enables him to win the ball and get free.
  • Who's the dark haired guy who looks like a hairy Italian? Christian is his name. He is such a powerful player!
  • I thought that Max Gawn was a moron with his stupid beard but he actually seems to be a good player.
  • That Koz, Kas, Kis or whatever his name is is lightning! He just sprints like anything and is so skilled!
Was laughing through the whole convo. Usually don't bother talking footy with him as as I've said he even gets me down, but even he is almost approaching the hemisphere of optimism.

Oh, any specific questions you'd like me to ask him or thoughts on players, let me know.

My idea is that we get the perspective of someone who hasn't really been part of the game emotionally since we won the flag in '64. He has some history with the game at the top level but perhaps we can expand on that later if anyone actually thinks this thread has relevance.

Last edited:
My mum reckons Christian Petracca looks like a really nice boy with a big smile. Wanted to know why we (my sisters and I) didn’t bring home a nice boy like that with such a lovely smile.

She wondered this out loud at a family gathering in the presence of my partner, my sister and her partner, and my two other sisters and their husbands and two children apiece. Nobody was smiling by that stage, so she may have had a point. Epic troll

Ok, on popular demand I'm creating a thread dedicated to mankind's greatest pessimist, my father. I plan to speak with him weekly to get his thoughts on the Dees progress, form and the other worldly optimism, less shame he's feeling for the first time since '64. He would have made a great poster and troll on BF had he been born post WW2.

Below is the first meaningful conversation we've in regards to the Dees in my life. It was quite insightful to pry the mind of an old man who's lived through a couple of decades of MFC success.

Oh, any specific questions you'd like me to ask him or thoughts on players, let me know.
I would be interested to know what he makes of Charlie Spargo

I would be interested to know what he makes of Charlie Spargo
I had to refer to him as 'the blond little fella in the forward line' but he was quite happy with his desire and effort. On another note, when he heard that Kozzie had just turned 20. Wow wee!

My wife has a few good ones (She's Persian and just getting into footy)...

She loves Kozzie and wants to know if we can adopt him

Despite being the only helmet wearing player on the ground, after he wore the wrist guard, she exclusively refers to Braysjaw as "Wristie"

She gets upset that Melksham doesn't try hard enough

After watching the bulldogs game, she asked me why they had so many terrible haircuts?

She is very excited that Maxy is having a baby girl within a month of us

She wants to show our baby all the games this year so she can see "how good Melbourne was while she was cooking"

And best of all.... she knitted me a massive Melbourne scarf (like 2m long) when we were first married

My wife has a few good ones (She's Persian and just getting into footy)...

She loves Kozzie and wants to know if we can adopt him

Despite being the only helmet wearing player on the ground, after he wore the wrist guard, she exclusively refers to Braysjaw as "Wristie"

She gets upset that Melksham doesn't try hard enough

After watching the bulldogs game, she asked me why they had so many terrible haircuts?

She is very excited that Maxy is having a baby girl within a month of us

She wants to show our baby all the games this year so she can see "how good Melbourne was while she was cooking"

And best of all.... she knitted me a massive Melbourne scarf (like 2m long) when we were first married

Nothing better than a stupidly long footy scarf.

I love it so much.... I'm pretty tall, so its nice to have one that has some staying power and doesn't look like I tied a woollen ribbon around my neck!

Not sure how long you've had it but my mum made me one years ago which I foolishly hung up rather than folding it and it stretched heaps. She fixed it up down the track though. Mums are grouse.

Not sure how long you've had it but my mum made me one years ago which I foolishly hung up rather than folding it and it stretched heaps. She fixed it up down the track though. Mums are grouse.
I got the idea from my Dad who had one made for him by his mum in about 1966 - it also stretched out to buggery, but was so wide it was like a beach towel. Its in the Royal Blue, which he hates, because every time we went to that jumper in his lifetime we turned to pox.

I got the idea from my Dad who had one made for him by his mum in about 1966 - it also stretched out to buggery, but was so wide it was like a beach towel. Its in the Royal Blue, which he hates, because every time we went to that jumper in his lifetime we turned to pox.

I often sit with my dad and his mates when I go to the footy. They were all dead-set against the royal blue as an away strip for that very reason. Glad they finally brought it back though looks great and we're actually alf decent when we wear it now.

None of my relatives go for Melbourne to share stories about with Melbourne :( , but my dad still calls Tom Hawkins Jennifer Hawkins to this day. He despises him for reasons unknown to me.

My wife played a sport at an elite level and I’m always impressed how much she gets from very little viewing (she probably wouldn’t have fallen for the Melksham in the tailpipe like yours truly). But what amuses her most when watching is the amazingly tiny shorts they wear. She is pretty adamant that it’s only a good look for a few of them 🤷🏻‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My wife played a sport at an elite level and I’m always impressed how much she gets from very little viewing (she probably wouldn’t have fallen for the Melksham in the tailpipe like yours truly). But what amuses her most when watching is the amazingly tiny shorts they wear. She is pretty adamant that it’s only a good look for a few of them 🤷🏻‍♂️
You should show her clips from the 80's and 90's, Warwick Capper highlights especially. The shorts were painted on.

My idea is that we get the perspective of someone who hasn't really been part of the game emotionally since we won the flag in '64. He has some history with the game at the top level but perhaps we can expand on that later if anyone actually thinks this thread has relevance.
What are his views on the game in general?
Does he see a bit of the Red Fox in Goodwin?
Does he think Nath Jones can make it back into the team by the season's end?
Weid or Brown? (or Brown?)
Spargo was the first that jumped to mind, given my own father had to be convinced of Spargo's awesomeness, but PG already went there.

My dad isn't a Dees fan usually (we are this year as 'his team' is whoever is on top). However, when I watched the Adelaide game with him he was amazed by how good Oliver was. His hands in close had him awestruck, was quite funny how worked up he was getting every time he got a clearance in the 2nd half.
And he’s only 24 next month 🥲 could have another decade of this

Only Dees supporter in my family is the mother in law.

She went on a hike the day of the 64 grand final, she didn't want to be in town in case she accidentally caught a radio broadcast and jinxed us. She hasn't watched a game in years but she's pretty pumped about how we're going- she cuts out articles she sees in the newspaper about Dees so I can read them later on, emails me articles too :blush:

If we make the granny this year, I might have to send her somewhere with a bottle of wine and a nice book so she doesn't * it up for us.

Back