Opinion My fathers Melbourne musings

Should this thread continue?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So I created this thread then immediately neglected it.

There was a question re Salem's hair. He is not a fan.

On the Melbourne game:
  • He does subscribe to the idea of teams lifting for in circumstances such as a coach getting sacked.
  • I asked him if he watched the game, his response: 'No, I genuinely don't enjoy watching Melbourne play. I watch every other game live but I check the score before a Melbourne game and won't watch it if they lose.' That's not entirely correct, he will sometimes start watching a game then turn it off, even before quarter time if we are down.
Seems like all Dees fans are alike in their levels of joy watching us. Have neglected this but will see him tomorrow and ask about the bombers game. Think someone asked about his thoughts on Norm Smith, will ask tomorrow.

Any requests?

On the Melbourne game:
  • He does subscribe to the idea of teams lifting for in circumstances such as a coach getting sacked.
  • I asked him if he watched the game, his response: 'No, I genuinely don't enjoy watching Melbourne play. I watch every other game live but I check the score before a Melbourne game and won't watch it if they lose.' That's not entirely correct, he will sometimes start watching a game then turn it off, even before quarter time if we are down.
Seems like all Dees fans are alike in their levels of joy watching us. Have neglected this but will see him tomorrow and ask about the bombers game. Think someone asked about his thoughts on Norm Smith, will ask tomorrow.

Any requests?

I’d like to get his thoughts on the vaccine rollout.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

On the Melbourne game:

Any requests?
I would suspect he isn’t aware of the global #positivelingers movement, and would love to know what he thinks of the contemporary social media strategy of promoting melbourne interest through mediums such as Facebook, Instagram and TikTok

I’d like to get his thoughts on the vaccine rollout.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
To quote him: 'Absolutely pathetic! They should take all the politicians in the country outside and shoot them. Your new dog could do a better job running the country.'

To quote him: 'Absolutely pathetic! They should take all the politicians in the country outside and shoot them. Your new dog could do a better job running the country.'
Crimson. I am your father

Bump!

Hey Crimson! What did your Dad make of the Grand Final?
He was very proud of the fight as he thought we were shot in the third when the dogs got 21. He thought we were shot to the extent he went to bed. And got up in the middle of the night and to his surprise we smashed them.

he had a few more musings but like us all he’s watched the end of the third and fourth a few times.

He was very proud of the fight as he thought we were shot in the third when the dogs got 21. He thought we were shot to the extent he went to bed. And got up in the middle of the night and to his surprise we smashed them.

he had a few more musings but like us all he’s watched the end of the third and fourth a few times.

That is peak MFCSS. I can't imagine waiting over half a century for a flag and missing out on seeing it live by going to bed.

My dad didn't watch it until I called him when we got to 48 up in the last quarter. (Everyone else started to message him at this point, my aunty even sent a message saying we've won).

I was actually talking about the Brownlow the other night with my dad and we couldn't think of who won it this year. He mentioned bont and I said, no it was a port player wasn't it, then with bitterness in his voice he said Ollie wines, he should be playing at the dees and could have been a premiership player, but instead we picked up that toumpas. I told him if we picked up wines we probably wouldn't be in a position to pick up Oliver, everything changes. We may not even end up with trac. It's been nearly 10 years since that draft and he still laments that pick. He also mentioned watts which I pointed out eventually turning into Fritsch.

My dad didn't watch it until I called him when we got to 48 up in the last quarter. (Everyone else started to message him at this point, my aunty even sent a message saying we've won).

I was actually talking about the Brownlow the other night with my dad and we couldn't think of who won it this year. He mentioned bont and I said, no it was a port player wasn't it, then with bitterness in his voice he said Ollie wines, he should be playing at the dees and could have been a premiership player, but instead we picked up that toumpas. I told him if we picked up wines we probably wouldn't be in a position to pick up Oliver, everything changes. We may not even end up with trac. It's been nearly 10 years since that draft and he still laments that pick. He also mentioned watts which I pointed out eventually turning into Fritsch.
Ha, I called the old man once we had a 50 point lead and told him to turn it on. I find it hilarious that so many of us have fathers who struggle to balance their passion and pessimism. Mind you, I've been around long enough now that I've come to understand it.

Ha, I called the old man once we had a 50 point lead and told him to turn it on. I find it hilarious that so many of us have fathers who struggle to balance their passion and pessimism. Mind you, I've been around long enough now that I've come to understand it.

Yeah he knows it's dumb but at the game he feels he can stand up and cheer/yell ect and have an effect, where on TV he feels he can't but also probably knows it looks stupid at home, I suppose it does. He usually checks in periodically but I don't think he even did that. I'm completely opposite I have to know, no matter what the situation is. Also I guess our parents didn't grow up where every game is live on TV.

Also was talking about a game in 93 where essendon came back from 47 points down early in the last to win. So that's a good mental scar, atleast we were 48 with 10 minutes to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he knows it's dumb but at the game he feels he can stand up and cheer/yell ect and have an effect, where on TV he feels he can't but also probably knows it looks stupid at home, I suppose it does. He usually checks in periodically but I don't think he even did that. I'm completely opposite I have to know, no matter what the situation is. Also I guess our parents didn't grow up where every game is live on TV.

Also was talking about a game in 93 where essendon came back from 47 points down early in the last to win. So that's a good mental scar, atleast we were 48 with 10 minutes to go.
That Essendon game was on ANZAC Day in 1992. Remember it well.

That Essendon game was on ANZAC Day in 1992. Remember it well.
You're correct, I was only 5 at the time so obviously don't remember. The reason I know about it was because I saw something on the 92 gf on Facebook a while back and I looked at the season and saw that result. I must have been thinking 93 because the bombers won the premiership that year.

Was listening. Turned the radio off for 5 minutes as I was convinced that when I listen to the Dees games we play bad or lose momentum, so turning the radio off was meant to steady the ship..

Was listening. Turned the radio off for 5 minutes as I was convinced that when I listen to the Dees games we play bad or lose momentum, so turning the radio off was meant to steady the ship..

Yeah I know the feeling, particularly if there was a game and I had no good reason why I didn't go. I feel I get punished for not bothering showing up.

At halftime of a playoff game our team was losing, my old man asked my sisters new boyfriend to help him with something outside. When the poor guy walked out the front door my dad closed and locked it while casually explaining to the rest of us “that dumb son of a bitch is bad luck”.

I dropped by the other day and saw my old mate Mario from Doncaster. He has lost his composure again. Ever since 25th of September, he has been despondent that a sissy, AFL propped-up minnow team such as the Dees could win a premiership. I asked him what happened. He replied that Dimma's trouser-snake was to blame. I bought a Mars Bar off him and left it at that. He will be back on SEN in 2022.

Chaos theory. Without all the monumentally poor decisions made between 2007-13 we never get Peter Jackson, Roos, Goodwin. We might have simply ended up having a decade of middle of the table mediocrity with a sprinkling of finals appearances before falling in a heap again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, thank god for Mark Neeld.

Chaos theory. Without all the monumentally poor decisions made between 2007-13 we never get Peter Jackson, Roos, Goodwin. We might have simply ended up having a decade of middle of the table mediocrity with a sprinkling of finals appearances before falling in a heap again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, thank god for Mark Neeld.
Should almost be a thread! Toast - Neeld!

*please don’t though because I reckon that might not end well. It probably wouldn’t start well either

Should almost be a thread! Toast - Neeld!

*please don’t though because I reckon that might not end well. It probably wouldn’t start well either

You'd just get a guy blowing his NTTAWWTer valve.

None of my relatives go for Melbourne to share stories about with Melbourne :( , but my dad still calls Tom Hawkins Jennifer Hawkins to this day. He despises him for reasons unknown to me.

My ex wife used to say she had problems with my general persona. I agree with your dad for the same reason.

Back