My Fave Monkees Songs

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd been thinking Alternate Title, Stepping Stone and Valleri were all a bit rough to miss the top ten, and then - whoa! Twist.
So you would have had I'm A Believer top 10 too? I guess I rate some of the big hits a bit lower due to being played so much. All great though

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Listen to the Band reminds me of Join Together by The Who or even We Will Rock You by Queen: the band reaching out to its audience to make a connection.

The Monkees Theme always reminds of when I visited Devonport with a mate way back in 1988. We visited a night club with some of my mate's cousins, I think it was called Astro's. During the night they played some older songs, one of which was the Monkees Theme. During the course of this song three guys sat on the wooden dance floor as though they were in a canoe. They then "rowed" themselves across the floor by use of their heels and backsides. Lucky the floor was so smooth.

# 16
Valleri

I remember asking my Mum to buy me Foxy Lady/Fire single, she came home with Valleri !! I was far from happy, but I soon learned to love it :D

Hmm yes I would have been a little unhappy as well..... still as long as it's free .... :)
I remember asking my Mum to buy me Foxy Lady/Fire single, she came home with Valleri !! I was far from happy, but I soon learned to love it :D

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
A slightly random list in terms of having 31 songs and not a rounded number such as 50 or 20. I would have thought that, considering your user name, you might have included one extra song and made it a top 32 just to have some sort of personal symmetry.

A slightly random list in terms of having 31 songs and not a rounded number such as 50 or 20. I would have thought that, considering your user name, you might have included one extra song and made it a top 32 just to have some sort of personal symmetry.
Yeah, so many great numbers to choose from though!

7753b4c4e95080ac57432d500496f0e8.jpg

Kel 15:9 says we just kicked your butt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 17, 2000
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Solid list! Love it! I adore Tapioca Tundra, Writing Wrongs......okay anything Mike Nesmith!!!!! Hahaha. The Girl I Left Behind Me, Someday Man......

Thoughts on their new album? The title escapes me. I saw Micky and Peter in 2016, they were amazing! Disappointed Mike Nesmith was unable to make it down under though.

Solid list! Love it! I adore Tapioca Tundra, Writing Wrongs......okay anything Mike Nesmith!!!!! Hahaha. The Girl I Left Behind Me, Someday Man......

Thoughts on their new album? The title escapes me. I saw Micky and Peter in 2016, they were amazing! Disappointed Mike Nesmith was unable to make it down under though.
I'm not familiar with their latest work lioness :) They were a staple tv diet for me as a teenager :)

Ah okay! The new album was surprisingly good! Very popular with a whole new market. It’s almost cool to like The Monkees now (well not for me because I always did!)
Yeah it wasn't too cool back in the 60s though I liked them a lot. But I appreciate them even more now.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
# 21

Goin' Down

Some claim this could be the first ever rap song. Some people opt for Bob Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues" (1965) and some even opt for "Big Bad John" by Jimmy Dean (1961). Others have claimed "Rapture" by Blondie, which wasn't released until 1980. Whichever way you feel about it, songs such as "Goin' Down", "Listen to the Band" and "Pleasant Valley Sunday" prove The Monkees certainly had versatility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back