domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
I think I have one too many scars. I actually feel sick at the thought of making the grand final. Yet I understand that the only way we can achieve the ultimate dream is to walk through the furnace and hope the gods are kind. I actually told my son I don't think I can attend or watch the granny if we do make it. I think our opponent will either be Richmond or the Eagles. I don't think the Cats will get through. The very thought of losing another grand final to either of these teams makes me feel ill. My other fear is that another GF loss will break the heart and spirit of Bucks and the players making our hopes of premiership success even more unlikely in the coming years.

I suppose it's the dilemma any person who has experienced heartbreak in a relationship feels when they finally emerge from their grief and battered self esteem and meet someone they like. Do they pursue the new relationship and hope this one brings true happiness and love or is the risk of further heartbreak and pain too much to contemplate. Is it better not to reach out for the dream and simply become accustomed to living a quiet, less passionate existence but one that is free of the agony we experience when we lose something so precious?

No doubt, if we do make it, I will probably try to get tickets and endure yet another torturous afternoon because there is always that very slight (but highly unlikely) chance we could have a miraculous win which would provide me with memories I will carry to my grave. If only I could live in the moment and simply enjoy the fact that we are in with a chance and our hopes are still alive.

Oh well, time will tell.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I dont think your feelings would be too far from other fans. Have had the same thoughts , thinking i wish we didnt make least years Granny. Then this year is a free hit.

The beauty of sport however , ride it through with your team through the highs and lows. The thrill and feeling you get from watching your team compete at its highest is an amazing feeling. Give me that than the feeling over that of a Dees or Bombers supporter who have been flat for years .

Last edited:
Agree with OP :thumbsu:

If we had Beams, Cox, DeGoey and Greenwood at their best I’d be feeling a lot more confident about what’s to come.

At this stage, I’m almost afraid to win the Prelim.

Pie thon

Senior List
Oct 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Think of 2014-2017 by round 15 we are losing interest knowing we wont play finals
Just making it to the GF keeps us much more engaged with footy media and hyped up
It'll hurt if we lose, but the journey is what makes most of the fun, we tend to experience 95% of the journey falling short rather than 70% like most other clubs

This is where a wise man might hark to kintsugi, that wondrous idea that beauty is to be found in the aftermath of being shattered. It would have been nice if I'd known of this in 1983 when a wayward banana smashed one of Mum's cheap-but-'sentimentally priceless' teacups, because my valiant superglue attempt might have been considered artful and inspired rather than sly, but I do tend to think that it has some resonance for the suffering which comes from our Grand Final history.

We might be shattered, and our dental health might not be optimal, but we butter up and do it all again because our hope never dies.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I understand the fear, but it's better to make a GF and lose than to not make it at all. Despite the heartache, the logical part of us knows it's better to be the second best team than 3rd or below.

Once the ump throws down the first bounce on GF day, it's completely out of any of our control what happens.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just take it one game at a time.

We play either GWS or Brisbane in a fortnight.
Just win that game, just win each quarter. The results will take care of itself.

Then we play, some other team. Win each quarter.
The result will take care of itself.

Some basics:

Of the 6 teams left each team must go undefeated now to claim the throne.
Us and Richmond have to win two games.
The other 4 must win 3 games.

Each team has its own demons:

Geelong has hand bags.
GWS has a plastic pretend club.
West Coast been all over the shop and have to travel every week, right across our vast land.
Brisbane have less self belief than most clubs finishing second.
Richmond have spluttered and now going on a roll but we have beaten them 2 of 3 times.

We’ve beaten each side this year bar GWS.

Every team has issues.

Just win two games of football, not much to ask.

I’d rather lose a GF than not make it.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is what I said about this time last year.

Would you Rather Lose in the GF or PF?
Win Prelim, then it’s just one game of football to win.

The Magnificent Seven

Bucks Lockdown Beard, The Sherriff, Rrrooocccaaa
Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
domus No other way to say it easily - get over it. This is a new year, and literally anything could happen in next 3 weeks.

Approach it calmly and with optimism in your heart, and save the raw emotion for the contest itself.

We've beaten Tigers and GWS in finals last year, we've beaten Tigers, Lions and WCE this year and our midfield and forward line are shaping to become as tight as the back line.

Believe, mate, believe.

PIEWITHSAUCE

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think I have one too many scars. I actually feel sick at the thought of making the grand final. Yet I understand that the only way we can achieve the ultimate dream is to walk through the furnace and hope the gods are kind. I actually told my son I don't think I can attend or watch the granny if we do make it. I think our opponent will either be Richmond or the Eagles. I don't think the Cats will get through. The very thought of losing another grand final to either of these teams makes me feel ill. My other fear is that another GF loss will break the heart and spirit of Bucks and the players making our hopes of premiership success even more unlikely in the coming years.

I suppose it's the dilemma any person who has experienced heartbreak in a relationship feels when they finally emerge from their grief and battered self esteem and meet someone they like. Do they pursue the new relationship and hope this one brings true happiness and love or is the risk of further heartbreak and pain too much to contemplate. Is it better not to reach out for the dream and simply become accustomed to living a quiet, less passionate existence but one that is free of the agony we experience when we lose something so precious?

No doubt, if we do make it, I will probably try to get tickets and endure yet another torturous afternoon because there is always that very slight (but highly unlikely) chance we could have a miraculous win which would provide me with memories I will carry to my grave. If only I could live in the moment and simply enjoy the fact that we are in with a chance and our hopes are still alive.

Oh well, time will tell.

I feel exactly the same way - especially after physically getting to the GF last year and watching my son balling his eyes out........just like I felt so many times in the Hafey era and early 2000's against the Frankenstein team.

If we do make it I hope it's West Coast....for a couple of reasons. Seeing Richmond lose a prelim again would be fantastic and I reckon it might create that extra 0.5% of motivation (not that we would need any but I think you know what I mean).

Aside from losing Levi/JDG we're set up as well as we possibly could be for the prelim , so I guess we just enjoy the ride and hope that something magical happens.

Hopefully the Giants try their filthy bullshit on Brisbane and get plenty back in return and the winner feels like they've gone 15 rounds with Tyson :)

esc0bar

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we win the prelim, which is going to be tough against the Lions, then we will win the GF. We have more players available than last year and plenty of self belief. That’s why I want to win the prelim. If we do, I’m certain we can claim the ultimate glory this year. GO PIES!

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
COLLINGWOOD
OP has captured my thoughts exactly.
On top of that I’ve been traveling all year, yet would have no choice but to cut my travels short to get back for the final. Another loss would break me.

But this is part of being a Collingwood supporter. It’s what makes us probably more passionate than the rest.

... and after all the heartbreak is wiped away on those special days like in 1990 , the joy and relief is so much more powerful than that experienced by say Hawthorn supporters who are used to such success.

Without the pain - you can never truely appreciate the joy.

TKiL

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2017
Eastern Suburbs, Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's the possibility of great pain - also the possibility of great joy. Pies drive me mad at times, too much pain from seeing 12(?) losing GFs - but I love them because they are like no other club FULL STOP!!

Stopped feeding the family of magpies - too much poop and if we weren't out there straight away they pecked at insulation around the windows - extremely cute but a nuisance. BUT - since I told them to get lost and stopped the supply of mince we haven't lost a game!

Booked to go away for GF weekend -too much stress in Melbourne - will be watching if we make it...

Injuries do not help but now it's WILL, STEEL and GRIT.

The boys can do it and this site will light up

OMG bring it on

Floreat Pica

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
The thrill of being in the Grand Final is intoxicating and the week leading up to and the morning of the game is like no other. You’d never want to give that up. Yep to lose is beyond shattering and god knows it’s happened so many times but with great risk comes great reward.
To be crowned Premiers is worth any hurt.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's easy to forget all the shitty years where finals weren't even on the cards. The games in those years just feel emptier... we still enjoy the wins, but then finals arrive and remind us that we aren't a top 8 / relevant team.

Can't take for granted the buzz gained throughout these years where we are doing well!

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...

Oh well, time will tell.

Expressed it well. Remember one thing - it doesnt matter if you go to the game, or not watch it and sit on your hands with your eyes pointing at the bedroom wall, nothing you can say or do with have an effect on what happens in the next few weeks. It's all going to happen irrespective of whether you're ready for it or not. So just enjoy the ride - as best you can...

we still havent won the prelim so the rest is just conjecture....

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
2007 was probably my first year watching weekly as a young fella, and since that season id take our finals record over Essendons (zero wins) finals record any day of the week.

Back