My fears of making the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

This week off will be beneficial for us, every day we will get stronger.
Last year will burn for Bucks & team as well, expect a red hot pies team to roll out for last 2 games this year.
No fear for making the granny this year.

I remind myself of the great saying of Allan Jeans.
"The more times you go to the bar - the more drinks you get."
And:

Are you prepared to pay the price.

I think I have one too many scars. I actually feel sick at the thought of making the grand final. Yet I understand that the only way we can achieve the ultimate dream is to walk through the furnace and hope the gods are kind. I actually told my son I don't think I can attend or watch the granny if we do make it. I think our opponent will either be Richmond or the Eagles. I don't think the Cats will get through. The very thought of losing another grand final to either of these teams makes me feel ill. My other fear is that another GF loss will break the heart and spirit of Bucks and the players making our hopes of premiership success even more unlikely in the coming years.

I suppose it's the dilemma any person who has experienced heartbreak in a relationship feels when they finally emerge from their grief and battered self esteem and meet someone they like. Do they pursue the new relationship and hope this one brings true happiness and love or is the risk of further heartbreak and pain too much to contemplate. Is it better not to reach out for the dream and simply become accustomed to living a quiet, less passionate existence but one that is free of the agony we experience when we lose something so precious?

No doubt, if we do make it, I will probably try to get tickets and endure yet another torturous afternoon because there is always that very slight (but highly unlikely) chance we could have a miraculous win which would provide me with memories I will carry to my grave. If only I could live in the moment and simply enjoy the fact that we are in with a chance and our hopes are still alive.

Oh well, time will tell.
IT wouldn't be glorious to win it if it wasn't also extremely hard and also extremely painful to lose on that final day. that's the choice - just settle for safe but boring mediocrity or risk that intense frustration and misery which never really goes away until future success, and even after that still comes back to haunt bringing the need for another fix of ultimate success. I'm thinking especially of the 70 GF which I attended as a kid.
The kind of disturbing thing for me is that success after the first few days is knid of an anticlimax. the misery of loss is more powerful than the joy of success. Although last year wasn't so terrible because even being there was an unexpected bonus, plus I'm a lot mroe philosophical about it now and place footy in the perspective of the more important things in life.
But a win this year would be very satisfying and push the historical ledger to a much more favorable level and I think we'd be equal top in total ships right?

After our performance on the weekend we're as good a chance as anyone domus - supporters from every other club still in it are feeling the same way right now.

Both Richmond and West Coast know internally that we have what it takes to match them now after picking apart Geelong with ease and that we are a serious and legitimate threat to take the premiership.

I am always in the group who prefers to make the GF no matter the outcome. Each week of the finals you get through the enjoyment grows and expectations evolve. It hurts more if you lose a GF than a PF but our last two PFs have been days that go into the memory bank forever. Would I like to lose them. Never, especially when there have only been 2 better days in all the years of seeing the club play and all the GFs attended going back to 1970 GF

This is what I said about this time last year.

Would you Rather Lose in the GF or PF?
I think this year, after the heartache of last year I’d prefer not to make the GF.
If we are going to be shattered again. However I believe the club has this incredible desire to right the wrong from last year, the boys will raise to the occasion and hold up the cup in 3 weeks time!

I am very fearful, but our players won’t be. Most couldn’t give a stuff about the lost flags of ancient history - other than for a few, their hurt is exactly one year old. If we make it to the GF, they will want to attone. They - we - can win this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear you. My first fear this year was not making the finals and now that finals are upon us, i’ve been fearing not getting through and going out in straight sets.

As much as I try not to listen to the outside noise, too many people I know (and one’s don’t know) take pleasure in Collingwood getting defeated in a GF by anyone.

Add another loss to whomever we play would cripple my confidence to go again. I will still back and love my club as I always do but how long to climb the mountain again if we get to the big dance and lose it?

It was 7yrs last time.

We have a 2-4-1 record in my lifetime so I'm probably not as scarred as others. Losing a GF bloody hurts, but after a while you can appreciate all it took to get there in the first place.

The highs don't feel as good without the lows.

No way would I rather lose in the prelim over a GF. Come on people!

Let's hope we beat Brisbane or GWS and that Richmond make the GF. GWS should beat Brisbane and they will be very hard to beat this time around especially with Coniglio returning in the prelim too. If we can get past them, I would love to play Richmond.

Our number one ranked player for pressure the last 6 games Wills is in along with our Mr September (Adams) and and our BOG from Friday Darcy Moore. None of them played against Richmond when we last played them. We are in a better position to play Richmond than we have been in any of our last three meetings and we match up well against them. The loss of Greenwood to play on Dusty will hurt but they have to worry about our midfielders more than we have to worry about theirs, and ours are hitting form.

The good thing is that if we played Richmond they will be favorites where if we play the Eagles we will. Give me Richmond over WCE any day.

I think I have one too many scars. I actually feel sick at the thought of making the grand final. Yet I understand that the only way we can achieve the ultimate dream is to walk through the furnace and hope the gods are kind. I actually told my son I don't think I can attend or watch the granny if we do make it. I think our opponent will either be Richmond or the Eagles. I don't think the Cats will get through. The very thought of losing another grand final to either of these teams makes me feel ill. My other fear is that another GF loss will break the heart and spirit of Bucks and the players making our hopes of premiership success even more unlikely in the coming years.

I suppose it's the dilemma any person who has experienced heartbreak in a relationship feels when they finally emerge from their grief and battered self esteem and meet someone they like. Do they pursue the new relationship and hope this one brings true happiness and love or is the risk of further heartbreak and pain too much to contemplate. Is it better not to reach out for the dream and simply become accustomed to living a quiet, less passionate existence but one that is free of the agony we experience when we lose something so precious?

No doubt, if we do make it, I will probably try to get tickets and endure yet another torturous afternoon because there is always that very slight (but highly unlikely) chance we could have a miraculous win which would provide me with memories I will carry to my grave. If only I could live in the moment and simply enjoy the fact that we are in with a chance and our hopes are still alive.

Oh well, time will tell.
Embrace the pain.

Believe me.

'Success is the ability to go from failure-to-failure without losing your enthusiasm'

also dont forget, sidey and grundy had pretty poor games last GF. and pendles back was stuffed.
that is unlikely to happen again.
and if those three play well, its not gonna matter that much exactly who else is playing on the day

I remind myself of the great saying of Allan Jeans.
"The more times you go to the bar - the more drinks you get."

I am worried about how many times i will go to the bar before the game even starts just to calm my nerves

I cannot believe that somebody would even contemplate not wanting to make it this year. Rich will go in utensil a hoop after a big prelim win, their fans will be up and about and will not contemplate any talk of losing, they will be the hottest of faves with the bookies. Just like last year's prelim........

This is unfortunately the one thing that's wrong with our club. We've been they're that many times and lost that there's this anxiety that permeates throughout. Some clubs have losing cultures. I'm afraid we have losing grand final culture.

Having said that, I imagine that anxiety would have been a lot worse in 1990, and look how that worked out

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I like our chances of beating Richmond in a hypothetical GF this year more than I liked our chances of beating them in the actual PF last year. Strange things happen at times. Last year might give us the extra motivation that could make a difference.

also dont forget, sidey and grundy had pretty poor games last GF. and pendles back was stuffed.
that is unlikely to happen again.
and if those three play well, its not gonna matter that much exactly who else is playing on the day

2018 - Add a makeshift FB in Goldsack.. and an out of position Langdon.. Howe and Treloar returning from injuries to play finals..

2019 - The return of Moore and Elliot.. playing well. And the availability of depth in Aish Varcoe Wells Reid Scharenberg itching to get a game. We did not have that luxury last yr re.

I think De Goey will get there.

There's this hunger belief and desire in these players that I wouldn't say was lacking last yr.. but it's gone to another level I feel this yr. There's so many examples of it in the game against Geelong.. these guys look like they'd walk over a s**t load of hot coals If they had to.. to get there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back