My fears of making the Grand Final

And I'll repeat what I said last year - they really should get rid of that "oh the premiership's a cakewalk".
IT's not out of the question that that line by its subconscious effect caused one or more of those GF losses.
Some say it's huberous, I say it's a brilliant line.
Recognises the ultimate goal and keeps our eyes on the prize so to speak no matter how we are going. It almost has the meaning of "we've won so many flags, we can overcome any challenge" moral to it.

When singing the song post-game with fellow supporters, I swear I can hear the stadium get 25% louder when that line comes up. We all recognise the ultimate glory of football is to be up there winning flags or at least always in contention of winning.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
Your words sound persuasive but they don't change how I feel. I love this club as deeply as anyone could possibly imagine. Five generations of my family have been born into the black and white. The Pies are a huge part of our lives. My brother and I used to go back to Vic Park in recent years and sit in the Sherrin Stand and reflect on the glory days when we sat with our dad on the wing and roared ourselves hoarse as our boys stormed home.

My home is more like a museum dedicated to the Collingwood Football Club. I have five season tickets dating back to 1897, 1898. 1899, 1900 and 1901. framed and hanging on my wall. They were passed on to me by my dear dad. I have a piece of a seat from the Sherrin stand hanging on a beam above our kitchen bench. I could go on. I have other framed pictures all over the walls in our living room. My book shelves have a large section put aside for my veritable library of books about Collingwood.

Of course I lived through the days of the dreaded "colliwobbles". I don't care if we lost all those grand finals because we choked or simply because we weren't good enough. All I remember is the pain and grief attached to those losses. Maybe I just feel things more deeply than some. I've heard many people say they weren't too upset after losing last year's grand final because it was a great season and we played really well. I find this attitude quiet unbelievable. I was shattered. The chance to have what had been an incredible year capped with a flag which would immortalize Bucks and forever be there in the history books snatched from us in the final minute after a series of football flukes which could never be repeated in a season of footy played by the Eagles is as bitter a pill as an footy fan should be expected to swallow. We were two minutes away from the greatest premiership victory in our club's history. I could have lived off the DVD of that final series and the associated books for the rest of my days. But no, just when I dared to dream after those two inspiring goals at the start of the last term (which had me embracing my son as well as total strangers) the gods once again said -oh no you don't, Collingwood don't win close grand finals-not ever.

So when I have endured this feeling on countless occasions I am entitled to state that I fear experiencing that pain again. I am not scared of any team. I am scared of the searing heartbreak-especially if it is another close one which turns on an umpire's decision or a bad bounce.

Of course I will be there. Of course I will scream my lungs out. I will endure the prelim and then hopefully another grand final. I just thought I could express what I was feeling with my Collingwood brothers and sisters as a way of coping with the gnawing anxiety.

Good on you Domus, great to hear of your family history with the Pies and the lengths you take it to support our club. I'm sorry for all the heartbreak you and many others have felt as a result of our many attempts at GF's and I hope the boys (and girls) from CFC bring you all some solace in the next few weeks. I was brought up kinda differently I guess and my grandparents values of win or lose with dignity and respect just have always given me a different slant to our performances.
We all love our club don't we? Just in different ways eh?
Go Pies. (and Go really well for Domus and his family)
:collingwood::collingwood:

Somebody

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think people stuck with the tradition? Anyway, we broke the drought a few years later.
IT's a quaint iconic line, but sometimes you have to sacrifice stuff like that for more important goals - like actually winning premierships. I mean obviously it's probably not that huge an effect but anything that tends to create complacency is not a good look.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Good on you Domus, great to hear of your family history with the Pies and the lengths you take it to support our club. I'm sorry for all the heartbreak you and many others have felt as a result of our many attempts at GF's and I hope the boys (and girls) from CFC bring you all some solace in the next few weeks. I was brought up kinda differently I guess and my grandparents values of win or lose with dignity and respect just have always given me a different slant to our performances.
We all love our club don't we? Just in different ways eh?
Go Pies. (and Go really well for Domus and his family)
:collingwood::collingwood:
Thanks, mate. We clearly both bleed black and white so you're a brother in arms. Long may the magpie flourish. :collingwood:

It appears you are a Bobby Rose fan, Robroy22. I will tell you a beautiful story about Bobby. Around 18 years ago my dad was in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease. Dad had always worshipped Bobby Rose and regaled us with many stories about his wonderful feats at Victoria Park. My brother rang the club and asked if it was possible for him to contact Bob and ask him to meet with dad at Vic park for a cuppa and a chat about the old days. He got in contact and being the true gentleman he was, Bob agreed to meet up with my brother and dad.

They sat in the social club and had their cuppa and chatted about the glory days. Bobby then suggested they go downstairs and out onto the ground to do some more reminiscing. Stu (my brother) told me Bobby took dad to the half forward flank at the social club end and actually talked about a game our dad had told us about many times. We were playing Essendon and we were around 16 points behind with only a few minutes remaining in the last quarter. Many Pie fans had already left the ground and headed for the station. Dad said there was no Sherrin stand back then and you could actually see people standing on the platforms at Vic Park station. Anyway-Bobby kicked three goals in three minutes, and he re-enacted the match winning goal showing dad exactly where he kicked it from! He signed a book dad carried and wished him all the best. Our family never forgot that kindness.

About a year or two later I was sitting on a jam packed platform at Southern Cross station after a game at Etihad. I looked up and there was Bob Rose standing a couple of metres away talking to a man about his age. I drew my beautiful wife's attention to his presence (her name is Maggie believe it or not!) and she said: "You have to go over to him and say something." I was hesitant as there were so many people between me and Bobby and I was afraid it might be awkward if Bob may simply want to be left alone. Maggie said I would regret it for the rest of my life if I didn't go over to him so I took a deep breath and approached him. I waited for him to pause in his conversation and he looked at me . I extended my hand and said, "Bobby may I have the honour of shaking your hand?" He smiled and gave me a warm handshake. The best part of that moment was as soon as I made my way back to the bench Bobby was swamped by fans who had been holding back just like me. He shook hands and chatted with anyone who approached him. The train arrived and he departed.
He died no more than a year or so after that encounter. I'm so glad I have that precious memory, Maggie was right. :collingwood:

Last edited:

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Nice one LP.

So much pessimism here, that disrespects the sweat and toil of the players in making Grand Finals.
Six months of effort, sacrifice and commitment by our boys deserves unwavering positive support.

Waving the white flag is NOT an option for supporters - we must be better than that.

Take a holiday, join a commune, enjoy the a yoga retreat.

We don’t need you - the rest of us have got this.

Or you can dump your negativity and join us.

Side by Side.

Facing the reality of a possibly painful outcome and expressing a fear of experiencing that pain again is not negativity-it's honesty. Where is there any suggestion that a white flag be waved? What do you mean, you've "got this". Are you playing? There is no disrespect in acknowledging the possibility of defeat in any sporting contest. My support has been unwavering for 55 years. I attended Friday night's game on crutches. I love this football club. The deeper the passion the greater the hurt if dreams are shattered. You may not feel the same and that is fine, but there is absolutely no need for you to suggest that those of us who have expressed our fear are in any way less supportive or committed than those who have a more positive view of our chances.

Bramax

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am always in the group who prefers to make the GF no matter the outcome. Each week of the finals you get through the enjoyment grows and expectations evolve. It hurts more if you lose a GF than a PF but our last two PFs have been days that go into the memory bank forever. Would I like to lose them. Never, especially when there have only been 2 better days in all the years of seeing the club play and all the GFs attended going back to 1970 GF
Footy is a sport, a competition and you compete to win it all. In order to win the ultimate prize, we need to play off in the Grand Final.
The greatest danger is not to aim too high and miss it, it’s to aim too low and reach it.
Go Pies.

cliffdrabble

Cancelled
Sep 1, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks, mate. We clearly both bleed black and white so you're a brother in arms. Long may the magpie flourish. :collingwood:

It appears you are a Bobby Rose fan, Robroy22. I will tell you a beautiful story about Bobby. Around 18 years ago my dad was in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease. Dad had always worshipped Bobby Rose and regaled us with many stories about his wonderful feats at Victoria Park. My brother rang the club and asked if it was possible for him to contact Bob and ask him to meet with dad at Vic park for a cuppa and a chat about the old days. He got in contact and being the true gentleman he was, Bob agreed to meet up with my brother and dad.

They sat in the social club and had their cuppa and chatted about the glory days. Bobby then suggested they go downstairs and out onto the ground to do some more reminiscing. Stu (my brother) told me Bobby took dad to the half forward flank at the social club end and actually talked about a game our dad had told us about many times. We were playing Essendon and we were around 16 points behind with only a few minutes remaining in the last quarter. Many Pie fans had already left the ground and headed for the station. Dad said there was no Sherrin stand back then and you could actually see people standing on the platforms at Vic Park station. Anyway-Bobby kicked three goals in three minutes, and he re-enacted the match winning goal showing dad exactly where he kicked it from! He signed a book dad carried and wished him all the best. Our family never forgot that kindness.

About a year or two later I was sitting on a jam packed platform at Southern Cross station after a game at Etihad. I looked up and there was Bob Rose standing a couple of metres away talking to a man about his age. I drew my beautiful wife's attention to his presence (her name is Maggie believe it or not!) and she said: "You have to go over to him and say something." I was hesitant as there were so many people between me and Bobby and I was afraid it might be awkward if Bob may simply want to be left alone. Maggie said I would regret it for the rest of my life if I didn't go over to him so I took a deep breath and approached him. I waited for him to pause in his conversation and he looked at me . I extended my hand and said, "Bobby may I have the honour of shaking your hand?" He smiled and gave me a warm handshake. The best part of that moment was as soon as I made my way back to the bench Bobby was swamped by fans who had been holding back just like me. He shook hands and chatted with anyone who approached him. The train arrived and he departed.
He died no more than a year or so after that encounter. I'm so glad I have that precious memory, Maggie was right. :collingwood:
Lovely story , Domus. Having met Bob Rose by he introducing himself to me, believe it or not, I am not surprised he gave you his time gladly. He was the sort of bloke that would be honoured to have met you. He was the real 'Mr Football'. That he was denied a Premiership was proof that there is not a God.

cliffdrabble

Cancelled
Sep 1, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Facing the reality of a possibly painful outcome and expressing a fear of experiencing that pain again is not negativity-it's honesty. Where is there any suggestion that a white flag be waved? What do you mean, you've "got this". Are you playing? There is no disrespect in acknowledging the possibility of defeat in any sporting contest. My support has been unwavering for 55 years. I attended Friday night's game on crutches. I love this football club. The deeper the passion the greater the hurt if dreams are shattered. You may not feel the same and that is fine, but there is absolutely no need for you to suggest that those of us who have expressed our fear are in any way less supportive or committed than those who have a more positive view of our chances.
Well said , Domus. There is a certain element on here, that wants to tell you how to think. Very sad. I think the real supporters are ones like yourself. The ones that really hurt after defeats. Perfectly understand your OP. You bleed black and white.

I knew a Pies player in the 1980's and he thought the 'pat on the back, you're so great, you can't lose' supporter base was a real problem for the club. He reckoned that a lot of players would bask in the glory and not work hard enough.

GO PIES.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
Only a coupla of me besties on here know this.. I have a 4th dan in taekwondo and that re.. as part of my training I spent 6 mths in the Himalayas discovering myself and another 6 mths with Tibetan monks studying zen and that re..

So I don't necessarily feel fear and that re.

I'm one you'd want to hand over the pill to to win the game and that re.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood

If you’ve taken offense I apologize.

The little man in our head telling us “we’re going to lose” - is not worthy of any attention or acknowledgement.

The purpose of my post was to simply say - forget the past.
Look forward optimistically, because to allow fear of something that has not happened, to ruin the journey is pointless and destructive.

The past performances of our teams should not be a burden on our boys or supporters.

What is the point of pessimism, trepidation, or fear, other than to crush our hopes and aspirations for the team.

We need to look forward with courage and confidence - just like Bucks and the boys.

Side by Side

Last edited:
Look forward optimistically, because to allow fear of something that has not happened, to ruin the journey is pointless and destructive.

I don't think that the past is so easily forgotten. It has a way of making itself felt, whether we want to or not, and it's probably better to acknowledge it.

It might also be wondered if forgetting the past would be such a good thing, if it were even possible. As others have pointed out, the accumulation of pain tends to make the good days that much sweeter, and I also think that the bittersweet memories are as much a part of the game as the days of glory....maybe more so.

Even Bucks thinks about the past. The recent doco shows him thinking upon his GF losses as a player, assistant coach, coach, and it's clear that this history is also part of his present, that it feeds into the way he feels about his lot. Maybe it even gives rise to a moment of doubt?

The trick is not to forget the past, but to remember it and not be defeated by it, and to maybe be guided by it in some way. Bucks' ruminations on the past will make him more determined, not despairing, just in the same way the domus' memories --good, bad and everything in between-- won't stop him from rolling up to the MCG for Collingwood's next GF with a heart full of passion.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lovely story , Domus. Having met Bob Rose by he introducing himself to me, believe it or not, I am not surprised he gave you his time gladly. He was the sort of bloke that would be honoured to have met you. He was the real 'Mr Football'. That he was denied a Premiership was proof that there is not a God.
Restore your faith - he won a flag in 53.

Apr 19, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting thread and great insight into the highs and lows of being a Collingwood supporter.... Its never easy but its always interesting! On this topic; I think Buckley summed it up best at the B & F last year:
Don’t be afraid of the hurt.
Don’t be afraid of the downside because as soon as you’re afraid of that well, then, you hold a little bit back.
And if you hold a little bit back you won’t be giving all of yourself.
I’m talking to the players, I’m talking to the staff, I’m talking to the supporters.
I’m talking to all of us.
Let’s be prepared to continue to put it all on the line.
Let’s be prepared to work for all of our dreams and ambitions.
There’s no deserving it.
All there is, is earning it.
We’re going to explore it and find out how good we can be.
Our story’s not done. We’re going to chase it.
Don’t let anyone else tell you what our story is.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
If you’ve taken offense I apologize.

The little man in our head telling us “we’re going to lose” - is not worthy of any attention or acknowledgement.

The past performances of our teams should not be a burden on our boys or supporters.

What is the point of pessimism, trepidation, or fear, other than to crush our hopes and aspirations for the team.

We need to look forward with courage and confidence - just like Bucks and the boys.

Side by Side

No worries. I don't think the players read my posts so you have nothing to fear. :thumbsu:

AndrewShawble

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'll admit, I'm the same - the idea of making it and not winning terrifies me.

Been speaking to a couple of Pies supporters at work this week and as one of them said - "If we are in, we are a chance. It's a two horse race at that point and anything can happen". That calmed me down a lot, because its true.

18 teams play every year for a chance - only 2 get that chance.

SprooseMoose

Team Captain
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you do the Math we have played in 1/3 of all GF's ever played.
Phenomanal statistic
That's one in every three.

Collingwood has played in a record 44 VFL/AFL Grand Finals(including rematches), winning 15, drawing two and losing 27 (also a record). Collingwoodalso won VFL/AFL record fourpremierships in a row between 1927 and 1930.
Wow. We play in 1/3 of GFs, then win approx 1/3 of them. Given we lost the last two, we're statistically due for a win this year! Happened between 1990 and 2010 as well.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
COLLINGWOOD

I'm very happy to remind you that Bob Rose did get his Premiership. He played in 1953's win v Geelong

Strip it down to bare bones; if we’re not here as a club to win premierships then we may as well pack up and go home. Getting into a preliminary final is the only way to win a premiership under the current rules.

So you either put your heart and soul into supporting your team to the hilt, doing what it exists to do, or you take up tiddlywinks.

That’s not a criticism, it’s just that there really aren’t many options. I feel as sick with nerves as anyone, but sometimes these GFs get pinched and I say “why not us?”.

Back