FTA-TV My Kitchen Rules

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they stopped three times to pour themselves a drink while their guests waited 5 odd hours for a three course meal.

They're so absorbed in themselves... everything they do wrong is excusable in their minds but they apply the strictest standards when judging others. That kind of arrogance is off-putting and not entertaining at all.

I liked it better when they were just sniping at other people's food at the table, don't really want to spend much watching them in the future.

As far as I could tell they only worked on one course at a time which would help make sure the food was well cooked and stiff s**t if everyone had to wait.

The ridiculous waiting time was factored into the scores from the guests but in their mind the low scores were because they were getting shafted due to strategy and/or they didn't understand food

Loved how they stopped to have a glass of champagne and then put their tarts in the oven.

Presentation of the main didn't even look like 3 hours of work had gone into it. They got lucky on the scores from the entree though.

3 hour wait for main course was inexcusable - and even the judges marked them down harshly on that. Funny thing was, they thought being marked down on time was harsh yet they're both uni lecturers who would have done exactly the same thing if an assignment was handed up 3 hours late.

If I were in a restaurant, I would have been gone if the wait was longer than 45-60 minutes for main. Did it once for a dessert which we'd waited for over an hour for, and nearly did at another place when we waited over an hour for entree (which was 2 pieces of garlic bread).

3 hours for a piece of steak, a potato bake that is made in most Aussie homes regularly and beans, which laughingly he cut one at a time, surely someone with multiple uni degrees would understand if you bunched them together you'd get it done quicker.

Also laughed when he couldn't work out why the blender wouldn't blend his strawberries, maybe having the blade in would be a good idea noddy.

Had to laugh when they said they'd never cooked for 12, i remarked to the wife " not surprised, they probably don't have 12 friends", arrogant dicks that they are.

Supporters of them will back them with the line, it's all edited TV, yes it is, but you still have to say what they say for it to make the TV screens.

Mouthed of how good they were and come back to bite them in the arse, although i'm sure they would enjoy that :)

It is amazing that people as succesful as these guys are have no concept of life in the real world. The lawyer made a point of saying he would ruffle a few feathers in the competition. He then said last night, I don't care what marks we get from the other contestants, only the judges' opinions matter.

Then when the other contestants mark them low, they are offended and they ignore the genuine criticism from the judges and only listen to the compliments.

The main problem is they talked down the efforts of the 2 Italian guys by saying that the technique was not so difficult in any meal they had cooked, then last night cooked the tarts and explained that they were harder than they look.

My wife said the same thing in regards to them not having 12 friends.

Pompous arses the pair of them.

The marks from the other contestants did seem a bit low though in comparison to the scores the judges gave. I doubt that there have been differences in scores as wide as those last night.

If I were in a restaurant, I would have been gone if the wait was longer than 45-60 minutes for main. Did it once for a dessert which we'd waited for over an hour for, and nearly did at another place when we waited over an hour for entree (which was 2 pieces of garlic bread).

The closest I've ever been to walking out of a restraunt, was when we had put in an order for "just water" (exact words), and they then proceeded to give us bottled water. The head waiter then got into an arguement with us, over the fact we failed to say the magic word "tap" water.

Eh whatever, that place is closed down now.

Had to laugh when they said they'd never cooked for 12, i remarked to the wife " not surprised, they probably don't have 12 friends", arrogant dicks that they are.
:)

LOL- good call.

This is the first time ever I've gotten into this series (usually I bag the s**t out of all these cooking shows), but this one has been pretty good.

I wanted to slap that bearded twat's smile right off his face, when the judges were complaining about the 3 hour wait. "Well its made with love". Jesus christ... and what got me was the fact they just failed to go out and let the guests know and apologise.

And their table looked like s**t, my god how tacky...

The marks from the other contestants did seem a bit low though in comparison to the scores the judges gave. I doubt that there have been differences in scores as wide as those last night.

Thought scores were rather accurate:

- sounded like guests got the tarts with more mustard than the judges (it happens, judges get the best plates)

- for the main the Aussie judge mentioned they hit 1 out of 3 (time, presentation and taste)... But then hav them a 5/6??? Should have been a 3 or 4 at best.

I literally would have walked away from the table and off the episode after 2 hours let alone 3. Then cutting beans 1 at a time isn't difficult... Lol.

Worked out tonight why I can't stand the doctor. He reminds me so much of Kevin Rudd when he talks.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

They're so absorbed in themselves... everything they do wrong is excusable in their minds but they apply the strictest standards when judging others. That kind of arrogance is off-putting and not entertaining at all.

You have summed them up prefectly.

- for the main the Aussie judge mentioned they hit 1 out of 3 (time, presentation and taste)... But then hav them a 5/6??? Should have been a 3 or 4 at best.

Probably because they got the most important of those 3 things correct.

In saying that, this is an instant RESTAURANT and if I was in the restaurant I would have walked out. Their food could have been the best in the world, but I wouldn't have been around to taste it, and certainly not pay for it. They'd go broke in a month.

Actually not really, the judges gave an average of about 6.5 which was due to them loving the entree, but the contestants didnt actually enjoy the entree and still gave an average mark of 5, so not far off at all. Shame the SA couple were nicer due to being miles in front

But yeah had to laugh given their comments about other simple dishes, then thats what they serve up?

I was always hoping the Victorian couple would do well, more so now that it would send those ********s to the bottom 3 :thumbsu:

But if the contestants really did want to mark based on personal feelings then they would all give the couple tonight 9s and 10s ;)

That's easy to explain.

Manu and Pete have a more refined palette and are use to strong flavour combinations. The cheese tomato tart entree is a great example.

The taste and smell of those gourmet cheeses and mustards can be totally overpowering for first time users. I'm not surprised people hated a cheese tart where the main ingredient, the gruyere cheese, is completely foreign to their tastebuds.

Their problem was they were totally oblivious to their guests - both their time and tastebuds.

They disparaged everyone for their lack of refinement and "unworldliness", then served them food which requires a certain level of sophistication to enjoy. It's just arrogance.

I do get that the tart would have been an overpowering flavour but the judges gave it 9. One would expect that contestants on a show like this would have some exposure to fine dining.

I am not for a minute defending the popmpous pair but I cannot remember such a difference between the judges score and the contestants.

I believe the judges possibly scored too high given that in a restaurant, there would have been no customer left to taste the food after a 3 hour wait.

Whats sort of mustard did they use?

Someone made me a roll at a canteen once and slapped on Hot English Mustad like it was cream cheese. When i ate the first bite it was like someone had rammed a knitting needle up each nostril.

Those tarts looked quite easy to make as well.

01) make pastry & blind bake
02) dollop in some mustard
02) cut cheese in cubes
03) peel & de-seed tomatoes
03) bake

Am i missing something?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do get that the tart would have been an overpowering flavour but the judges gave it 9. One would expect that contestants on a show like this would have some exposure to fine dining.

I am not for a minute defending the popmpous pair but I cannot remember such a difference between the judges score and the contestants.

I believe the judges possibly scored too high given that in a restaurant, there would have been no customer left to taste the food after a 3 hour wait.

As they were making the tarts, the doc was warning the lawyer there was too much mustard, maybe he was right and they got lucky with Manu and Pete's that it wasn't as strong.

I find it genuinely interesting at how most contestants have such poor time management skills.

Preparation is such a huge component of cooking. Has me beat how they didn't have the beans topped and tailed, the pears peeled and poached, the beef and mushroom mixture trussed up and ready to be browned all before the judges arrived.

Nic and Rocco aced their instant restaurant because their time management was impeccable. They had their dessert assembled and in the fridge and their roast trussed and ready for roasting before anyone arrived.

Gary and Pete probably thought they'd just cruise through. How else can you explain them going out for breakfast beforehand? Unlike the Asian and the mum, and the Tassie bogan couple, they're obviously good cooks, everything was cooked to perfection according to the judges, they just don't have great time management.

I find it amusing that despite being absolutely up themselves and very openly critical of other contestants, the doctor and lawyer were actually reasonably fair/generous with their marks of the other teams. I mean the tasmanian couple stuffed up on all 3 dishes but I'm pretty sure they gave them 5. But the other contestants don't know that...all they see is the arrogance, and you've gotta think their dislike was worth a mark or so from each team. I mean, in the first group one of the teams was almost as late on their main and then late again on their desert...but no one seemed to make a deal of it when it came to scoring.

What was also funny, is that while the lawyer is more outspoken it seems the quietly spoken doctor is in charge.

I find it amusing that despite being absolutely up themselves and very openly critical of other contestants, the doctor and lawyer were actually reasonably fair/generous with their marks of the other teams. I mean the tasmanian couple stuffed up on all 3 dishes but I'm pretty sure they gave them 5. But the other contestants don't know that...all they see is the arrogance, and you've gotta think their dislike was worth a mark or so from each team. I mean, in the first group one of the teams was almost as late on their main and then late again on their desert...but no one seemed to make a deal of it when it came to scoring.

What was also funny, is that while the lawyer is more outspoken it seems the quietly spoken doctor is in charge.

That is pretty much the point I was trying to make. The scores they gave were reasonably fair despite their arrogant demeanour.

That is pretty much the point I was trying to make. The scores they gave were reasonably fair despite their arrogant demeanour.

Good point.

I know they are arrogant and i certainly disliked them at the start of the 2nd round of the show, but they are quite amusing and entertaining really and i kind of like them now.

Another thing - I bet if someone else had made a similar tablecloth that they had made then they would be bagging it for being tacky & crass.

I think the contestants give their scores on a broader basis than the two judges who are more focused on the quality of the food. So the contestants scores are a reflection on how the place fared as a "restaurant" so things such as the setting, waiting for food, how the evening was hosted etc, whereas Pete and Manu will overlook peripheral issues to an extent and mark based more on the qulaity of the food.

That's explains the discrepancy in the judges and contestants scores (39/60 v 24/50) and the two 4's they were given were definitely harsh, but I'm glad the two condescending twats got a rude shock.

I know they are arrogant and i certainly disliked them at the start of the 2nd round of the show, but they are quite amusing and entertaining really and i kind of like them now.
I'm with you. Unless Nic has a threeway with the two sisters, I'ld say the Doctor and Lawyer are the best potential source of entertainment.

I'm with you. Unless Nic has a threeway with the two sisters, I'ld say the Doctor and Lawyer are the best potential source of entertainment.

Hmmm, Id buy that for a dollar.

Wonder how long it will take for one of the networks to come out with "My Bedroom Rules!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back