TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
So with the season over halfway through.
Thought it could be interesting to try predict the pro/rel of the major European leagues.

EPL Relegation

1. West Brom -

I think the Baggies will go down.
Currently 5pts from Safety.
Despite new manager they still don't create enough going fwd.
Very negative side.

2. Huddersfield Town -

They started well but i think their lack of true EPL quality is starting to show.
Struggling for goals and also in defense.

3. Stoke City -

Was harder to pick this last spot.
I think they have the harder fixture coming up playing some of the big teams.
Not convinced of the new manager either.

Championship Promotion

1. Wolves

Look safely ahead in no.1 spot of the Championship.
Have had a strong season.

2. Derby County

Strong defensively which i think will see them through to promotion.

3. Fulham

Have been knocking on the door and i think could sneak in.

-----

La Liga Relegation

1. Alaves

Just a hunch based on the fact they are only 5pts in safety.
However they have 1 draw and 14 losses which suggest when they go behind they usually lose.
They have games against Real Madrid and Athletico Madrid to come.

2. Las Palmas

Weak attack and even weaker defense.
Have conceded 50 goals and only scored 16.

3. Malaga

9 pts from safety and i think they are to far back.
Only 14 goals for the season so far.

La Liga 2 Promotion

1. Huesca
2. Cadiz
3. Granada

-----

Serie A Relegation

1. Benevento
2. Verona
3. Crotone

I'll add more soon need to research the other teams more.
Any predictions?

PL Relegation

West Brom, Huddersfield, Stoke

I have a feeling Swansea are going to be the new Sunderland. Somehow avoiding relegation when they looked long gone.

Championship Promotion

Wolves, Derby, Cardiff

Bundesliga Relegation

Koln, Hamburg, Bremen

Bundesliga 2. Promotion

Dusseldorf, Nurnberg, Kiel

La Liga Relegation

Malaga, Las Palmas, Alaves

Segunda Division Promotion

Huesca, Oviedo, Rayo Vallencano

Serie A Relegation

Benevento, Verona, Sassuolo

Serie B Promotion

Frosinone, Empoli, Palermo

Shows just how well the new Swansea manager is doing he isn't in most people's predicted bottom 3!

WBA, Stoke & west ham. Probably won't be WHU but would rather them than one of the 3 promoted sides

Wolves and then anyone's game for the final two spots. Hoping it is Fulham and Bristol City

dont see alaves going down. a trio of munir, guidetti and sobrino up top should be enough to keep them from going down. las palmas and malaga are absolutely gone. malaga selling off their best players and not signing anyone has destroyed them. that champions league semi final seems very long ago now. think the third relegated side will be deportivo. they just hired seedorf as their new manager and i really dont think he has what it takes as a manager, especially after years out of managing, in a relegation battle that he has never been in.

Wouldnt count out Brighton from falling into the bottom three. I think Huddersfield will go down. WBA need Sturridge to fire and find goals. In big trouble.
They have started to find goals, now they just can't keep them out. Turning into Liverpool-lite

EPL: West Brom, Newcastle, Stoke
Championship: Wolves, Villa, Bristol City

La Liga: Malaga, Las Palmas, Levante
Segunda: Huesa, Oviedo, Osasuna

Serie A: Benevento, Crotone, Chievo
Serie B: Frosinone, Palermo, Parma

Bundesliga: Koln, Mainz
2. Bundesliga: Fortuna Düsseldorf, Nuremberg

Ligue 1: Mets, Angers
Ligue 2: Stade Reims, Le Havre

EPL: West Brom, Stoke, Southampton
Championship: Wolves, Bristol City, Fulham

La Liga: Las Palmas, Malaga, Deportivo
Segunda: Huesa, Oviedo, Cadiz

Serie A: Benevento, Hellas V, Sassuolo
Serie B: Frosinone, Palermo, Parma

Bundesliga: Koln, Mainz (Freaking Hamburg will escape again through the play offs)
2. Bundesliga: Fortuna Düsseldorf, Nuremberg

Ligue 1: Metz, Dijon
Ligue 2: Reims, Paris FC

First Division A: Eupen
First Division B: Leuven (It's still possible)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Relegated - 20th: West Brom, 19th: Huddersfield Town, 18th: Stoke

Promoted - 1st: Wolves, 2nd: Cardiff City, Play-off: Fulham

dont see alaves going down. a trio of munir, guidetti and sobrino up top should be enough to keep them from going down. las palmas and malaga are absolutely gone. malaga selling off their best players and not signing anyone has destroyed them. that champions league semi final seems very long ago now. think the third relegated side will be deportivo. they just hired seedorf as their new manager and i really dont think he has what it takes as a manager, especially after years out of managing, in a relegation battle that he has never been in.
Not sure if you follow tifo football on Facebook but they had a good article on the fall of Malaga. Such a shame. Fantastic part of the world

There was an interesting article from the BBC a few days ago about relegation stats. Obviously getting to that magical 40 would be nice but they reckon over 22 seasons, the average number of points for for safety is 36.6.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43049564

upload_2018-2-16_11-58-51.png

Personally, would like to see WBA, Stoke and Southampton go down, first 2 don't really do anything for me as a club (Stoke especially in their red and white stripes lol) and Soton are just a team who always seem to have the wood over us (not to mention the crazy long distance to travel).

The Man U result is massive for us as we started the match in 18th and then bounced back up to 13th. We hadn't won a home game either since mid October so that gets the monkey off the back a bit. We have essentially a Championship squad but having Rafa gives us a chance IMO. He's organised us very well defensively despite the limitations of the team and our GD is pretty competitive against most of the bottom half (better than 8 teams IIRC).

Goals has been the issue and Slimani, on paper, is an improvement over Gayle and Joselu so if he can do the business we should be okay I think(hope). Dubrakva also looks a cracking keeper, if he can be the safe hands we need and have fewer errors than Darlow and Elliot, we might scrounge more points instead of dropping them as well. Shelvey and Diame (perhaps surprisingly) are also starting to form a decent partnership in midfield. Kenedy has looked good out on the left with his attacking threat.

Really need some good luck with injuries too as we don't have much at all in reserve if the injuries pile up.

I'm feeling a lot more confident at least, still a long way to go. :p

As Huddersfield interested, the plus point is the FA cup seems to have played them into form. Beat Bournemouth who had been the form team of the previous 6 (Hudds had the worst form) and beat them well. Forwards had regained composure. Take the points at WBA, get Mooy back (thats the worry) and who knows.

the minus is they play three of the top six teams in the last four rounds. Would need a 4 points buffer to be safe before then you'd think (they have that now)

alaves now suddenly 10 points clear of the drop after beating deportivo over night. do think the bottom 3 is pretty much set, but real soceidad are making a late charge down the ladder. match tonight against levante one of those 6 pointer types.
Levante are the only club outside the drop zone that are a real threat of going down now. Unless one of Espanyol or Sociedad have a major collapse but the bottom 3 aren't even close to good enough to make up for that. As always, La Liga seriously struggles in the depth department.

There was an interesting article from the BBC a few days ago about relegation stats. Obviously getting to that magical 40 would be nice but they reckon over 22 seasons, the average number of points for for safety is 36.6.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43049564

View attachment 460384

Personally, would like to see WBA, Stoke and Southampton go down, first 2 don't really do anything for me as a club (Stoke especially in their red and white stripes lol) and Soton are just a team who always seem to have the wood over us (not to mention the crazy long distance to travel).

The Man U result is massive for us as we started the match in 18th and then bounced back up to 13th. We hadn't won a home game either since mid October so that gets the monkey off the back a bit. We have essentially a Championship squad but having Rafa gives us a chance IMO. He's organised us very well defensively despite the limitations of the team and our GD is pretty competitive against most of the bottom half (better than 8 teams IIRC).

Goals has been the issue and Slimani, on paper, is an improvement over Gayle and Joselu so if he can do the business we should be okay I think(hope). Dubrakva also looks a cracking keeper, if he can be the safe hands we need and have fewer errors than Darlow and Elliot, we might scrounge more points instead of dropping them as well. Shelvey and Diame (perhaps surprisingly) are also starting to form a decent partnership in midfield. Kenedy has looked good out on the left with his attacking threat.

Really need some good luck with injuries too as we don't have much at all in reserve if the injuries pile up.

I'm feeling a lot more confident at least, still a long way to go. :p

Apart from the promoted clubs, all but one has replaced their manager. Some have done it in successive seasons and some

Sociedad 3-0 up against Levante. Any threat they had of relegation will surely by dashed assuming they hold on from here. Levante right in the thick of it now.
yep, it really is down to 4. espanyol have enough quality to stay out of it. while the teams in the bottom 3 have had their troubles there really is no excuse when a club like eibar are pushing for european qualification.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back