Certified Legendary Thread My Sharona! (COVID-19 Information & Discussion Here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Official Government Information about COVID-19
Contact the National Coronavirus Information Hotline on 1800 020 080 for information about COVID-19.

Stay informed. Download the official government “Coronavirus Australia” app in the Apple App Store or Google Play,
or join our WhatsApp channel on iOS or Android.

If you live in the Adelaide metropolitan area and would like to get checked out, this is how get drive-thru testing at the Repat:

1584943828763.png

the Official Sources, Do You Have The Symptoms?, Tips and Statistics are below

Official Sources, Do you have Symptoms?, Tips, Statistics

Environmental Cleaning & Disinfection Principles
https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...-and-disinfection-principles-for-covid-19.pdf

SA Health:

Australian Federal Govt:

World Health Organisation:

Smart Traveller: (thanks Mutineer )

Do you have the symptoms?
(thanks again to Mutineer )

1584505884236.png

Tips

Home Isolation Advice:

What to do if you’re feeling unwell

If you are severely unwell, such as having difficulty breathing, call 000 (Triple Zero).

If you have travelled anywhere overseas in the past 14 days and have COVID-19 symptoms, seek testing at a COVID-19 clinic or contact your GP (advise your GP of your travel history) and isolate yourself.

If you have NOT travelled overseas recently, but are feeling unwell, visit your usual health care provider. Avoid contact with others if you are unwell.

Mental health in the age of coronavirus

Woolworths to introduce a dedicated shopping hour for the elderly and people with disability.

Keeping Yourself And Your Things Germ Free

Cleaning Your Phone

Optus Mobile giving away data due to Covid-19

To play our part in supporting your access needs, we are giving all eligible mobile subscribers a one off 20GB of free extra data which can be activated within My Optus app anytime during the month of April and valid for 30 days from activation. For our eligible prepaid customers, we will also be offering 10GB of free extra data when you top up for more than $40 during the month of April.

We'll have more details about these extra data offers available soon at optus.com.au/COVID19-support.

Statistics

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University (JHU)

Stay safe and look after each other (from a safe distance)
Dear posters: unsubstantiated advice will be deleted. We understand you want to help, but #fakenews blah blah blah we're not allowing any disinformation. Got some great advice about washing your hands whilst dancing like David Byrne in Once In A Lifetime helps kill the virus? That's fantastic, provide a link to a reputable source.

Last edited:
Best-funny-Coronavirus-memes-2020-Honeycombers-Bali-13.jpg

Thinking of having a blood test for Coronavirus if I had it in the last 6 weeks. :think:

Given that 20% can be asymptomatic, coupled that I was feeling a little run down during this time. Didnt effect my working out whatsoever which involved weights and cardio, which I thought was a good sign that I dont, but beginning to think very differently now.

Probably more paranoia than anything else, but first need to know if my blood test denies someone of a test, but my understanding is that it is like any blood test as opposed to testing someone with active Coronavirus in their system.

John Who
The problem is that "feeling a little run down" is damn common symptom for just about everyone. Particularly during autumn where the typical flu and other viruses kick into gear. It is more likely to be explained by the typical seasonal bugs rather than an "asymptomatic case" for the Covid19.
I would say not worth it to be testing with such vague symptoms because:
- would add to the costs of government/laboratory expenses (and affecting our economy; think about the costs if everyone "feeling a bit off" would be wanting these blood tests)
- dont know the official stats, but there certainly can be false positives and false negatives, so the tests alone arent' useful unless you link it with the clinical examination.

I ain't driving to town to get food. That's crazy talk. Aside from going to work, I'm basically an agoraphobe who lives 99.9% of his life in Somerton Park.

In any case, I've cut down on fast food a fair bit. I've been hitting up take away places on Jetty Road instead. My housemate is bloody shocking though. I've seen him eat KFC, Hungry Jacks and McDonalds all on the same day.
We owned a home in Somerton Park in my mid teens on the corner of Margaret Ave and Seaforth Avenue from memory one block back from the Paringa Park Primary where my younger brother schooled while I went to Brighton High. Just had a squizz on google maps the house looks the same bar for the bloody great colourbond fence that's been erected. Used to be a hall over the road but it's gone replaced by houses. Great neck of woods and great beaches in the area.

We owned a home in Somerton Park in my mid teens on the corner of Margaret Ave and Seaforth Avenue from memory one block back from the Paringa Park Primary where my younger brother schooled while I went to Brighton High. Just had a squizz on google maps the house looks the same bar from the bloody great colourbond fence that's been erected. Used to be a hall over the road but it's gone replaced by houses. Great neck of woods and great beaches in the area.
It's a really nice area. I'm very fortunate to both live and work here. There is something very satisfying about being able to leave the house at 8:55 and still make it in time to work. The beaches are really nice too as you say. I also went to Brighton High so we have that in common even though we disagree on just about everything else. ;)

I’m convinced now that I know I have it, that I had it in late January.
I was on the flight between Melbourne and GC that had 3 positive people in late January. We were 2 seats from the infected people. Week after I had the strangest day where I was completely devoid of energy and wanted to lay in bed, feeling unwell then a couple of days later was fine. Same feeling as this. I suspect the virus has gone through more people than we think.
What you described is a typical presentation of potentially any virus. I remember having a day exactly of your description - devoid of energy. I remembered it clearly because it was a tennis session that was already pre-arranged, and I just couldn't feel any passion at all chasing/hitting the ball. Went home then slept early. Next day the bouts of diarrhea came thick and fast. So then I realised I had the gastro virus!

You may well have had some other virus prior to contracting this current Covid19. Or perhaps you had the Covid19 twice..?

The weird thing is that my Dad was on that ship in late January and he came back to Adelaide sick as a dog with some type of flu.

My son ended up catching whatever it was that he had and went to the doctor in mid to late Feb, he had all the symptoms (fatigue, sore throat, cough) but wasn't allowed to be tested because he had not come into a contact with a confirmed case or someone from overseas.

I know the first real significant outbreak happened on there in mid Feb, but it's possible that it started earlier in smaller numbers.

Scary stuff.
There was only 1 outbreak of CV-19 on Ruby Princess - the cruise which departed on 8th March.

It's a really nice area. I'm very fortunate to both live and work here. There is something very satisfying about being able to leave the house at 8:55 and still make it in time to work. The beaches are really nice too as you say. I also went to Brighton High so we have that in common even though we disagree on just about everything else. ;)

I have often done jetty to jetty run to Brighton.

Somerton Park is like the perfect place between the two areas. That new pathway thats been developed/renovated since October last year is a lovely run.

I have often done jetty to jetty run to Brighton.

Somerton Park is like the perfect place between the two areas. That new pathway thats been developed/renovated since October last year is a lovely run.
Went down there recently for a stroll with my partner and saw all the redevelopment near Minda. It's really nice through there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was only 1 outbreak of CV-19 on Ruby Princess - the cruise which departed on 8th March.
Yes and also initially those tested with symptoms and suspected of Covid19, only about 1% came back as positive.
The majority were and and still are suffering from other viruses/infections. In other words, a simple cough is still more likely to be a flu/cold than a Covid19.

Went down there recently for a stroll with my partner and saw all the redevelopment near Minda. It's really nice through there.

I went for a run only recently around 10pm felt safe but there are some very dark paths. (the wooden path)

Didnt deter a few girls running at that time though by themselves.

Yes and also initially those tested with symptoms and suspected of Covid19, only about 1% came back as positive.
The majority were and and still are suffering from other viruses/infections. In other words, a simple cough is still more likely to be a flu/cold than a Covid19.

Do you know about any false negatives results?

I went for a run only recently around 10pm felt safe but there are some very dark paths. (the wooden path)

Didnt deter a few girls running at that time though by themselves.
I think you'd be pretty unlucky to get mugged in Somerton Park but it's not impossible. A friend of mine got mugged one time just walking around glenelg.

Do you know about any false negatives results?
I think this is still a relative unknown at this stage. All I know from basic biology is that antibodies don't magically appear straight away, but they can take days to maybe a week to come up in your blood. So a negative might mean you don't have Covid19, but theoretically possible you might still have it, but just it hasn't the chance to form the antibodies to show up in your blood.

I think this is still a relative unknown at this stage. All I know from basic biology is that antibodies don't magically appear straight away, but they can take days to maybe a week to come up in your blood. So a negative might mean you don't have Covid19, but theoretically possible you might still have it, but just it hasn't the chance to form the antibodies to show up in your blood.
Aren't they testing for the RNA sequences, within the CV-19 molecule itself? I don't think they're testing for the presence of antibodies in the blood.

** There are tests for both. The antibodies test is what they're using to determine immunity (i.e. if you've had it), the RNA test is what they're using to determine if you have it now.

I think you'd be pretty unlucky to get mugged in Somerton Park but it's not impossible. A friend of mine got mugged one time just walking around glenelg.

Im not personally worried about being mugged, more worried about passing out while running and found the next day lol.

For a woman, I was just little surprised to see some running by themselves. However as you pointed out, distinct difference as you run towards Brighton jetty. If I happen see some female joggers they are running in this short path as opposed to running all the way to Glenelg, some even do loops of the path as opposed to running further out.

That's not true.

There was an outbreak on the previous cruise before the one that departed on the 8th March

8 March: Ruby Princess docked in Sydney with 158 sick passengers on board, 13 with high fevers.

Illnesses were logged on the automated online Australian Government Maritime Arrivals Reporting System (M.A.R.S.). Breaches are an offence under the Biosecurity Act.

Ship’s master emailed Sydney port authority officials to report no illnesses onboard, all can disembark.

The Weekend Australian revealed Captain told NSW Vessel Traffic Services no ill passengers on board.

Four passengers tested positive after the ship docked in Sydney.

8/9 March: Ruby Princess embarked for New Zealand without any quarantining or disinfection and carrying 2,700 passengers.

That's not true.

There was an outbreak on the previous cruise before the one that departed on the 8th March

8 March: Ruby Princess docked in Sydney with 158 sick passengers on board, 13 with high fevers.

Illnesses were logged on the automated online Australian Government Maritime Arrivals Reporting System (M.A.R.S.). Breaches are an offence under the Biosecurity Act.

Ship’s master emailed Sydney port authority officials to report no illnesses onboard, all can disembark.

The Weekend Australian revealed Captain told NSW Vessel Traffic Services no ill passengers on board.

Four passengers tested positive after the ship docked in Sydney.

8/9 March: Ruby Princess embarked for New Zealand without any quarantining or disinfection and carrying 2,700 passengers.
There was illness on the previous cruise, but the 8th March cruise is the only one with CV-19.

There have been no CV-19 positive test results from any previous Ruby Princess cruise. None, nada, zip, zilch. There were a few reports in the aftermath of the 18th March debacle, but they have all been proven false.

Also, the Ruby Princess was 5 hours late in departing on 8th February, because they delayed boarding while a deep clean was done - because of the illnesses reported on the previous cruise. The whole "embarked ... without any ... disinfection" is another fact that the Weekend Australian has got wrong. There is virtually nothing in that article which is actually correct.

Aren't they testing for the RNA sequences, within the CV-19 molecule itself? I don't think they're testing for the presence of antibodies in the blood.

** There are tests for both. The antibodies test is what they're using to determine immunity (i.e. if you've had it), the RNA test is what they're using to determine if you have it now.
The RNA test is done via the swabs, the antibodies test is done via the blood.

The RNA test is done via the swabs, the antibodies test is done via the blood.
Agreed - and both have windows where they can produce a false negative.

The RNA test can't detect CV-19 in the first 24 hours. The antibody test can't detect it until the body starts producing antibodies, which as you pointed out, may not be for a week or more.

We know that China sent tests to several countries which were only 30% accurate. What we haven't been told, as far as I'm aware, is how accurate the tests we're currently using are. Putting the previously noted windows aside, what are the probabilities of these tests giving false positives or false negatives?

Thinking of having a blood test for Coronavirus if I had it in the last 6 weeks. :think:

Given that 20% can be asymptomatic, coupled that I was feeling a little run down during this time. Didnt effect my working out whatsoever which involved weights and cardio, which I thought was a good sign that I dont, but beginning to think very differently now.

Probably more paranoia than anything else, but first need to know if my blood test denies someone of a test, but my understanding is that it is like any blood test as opposed to testing someone with active Coronavirus in their system.

John Who

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back