Certified Legendary Thread My Sharona! (COVID-19 Information & Discussion Here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Official Government Information about COVID-19
Contact the National Coronavirus Information Hotline on 1800 020 080 for information about COVID-19.

Stay informed. Download the official government “Coronavirus Australia” app in the Apple App Store or Google Play,
or join our WhatsApp channel on iOS or Android.

If you live in the Adelaide metropolitan area and would like to get checked out, this is how get drive-thru testing at the Repat:

1584943828763.png

the Official Sources, Do You Have The Symptoms?, Tips and Statistics are below

Official Sources, Do you have Symptoms?, Tips, Statistics

Environmental Cleaning & Disinfection Principles
https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...-and-disinfection-principles-for-covid-19.pdf

SA Health:

Australian Federal Govt:

World Health Organisation:

Smart Traveller: (thanks Mutineer )

Do you have the symptoms?
(thanks again to Mutineer )

1584505884236.png

Tips

Home Isolation Advice:

What to do if you’re feeling unwell

If you are severely unwell, such as having difficulty breathing, call 000 (Triple Zero).

If you have travelled anywhere overseas in the past 14 days and have COVID-19 symptoms, seek testing at a COVID-19 clinic or contact your GP (advise your GP of your travel history) and isolate yourself.

If you have NOT travelled overseas recently, but are feeling unwell, visit your usual health care provider. Avoid contact with others if you are unwell.

Mental health in the age of coronavirus

Woolworths to introduce a dedicated shopping hour for the elderly and people with disability.

Keeping Yourself And Your Things Germ Free

Cleaning Your Phone

Optus Mobile giving away data due to Covid-19

To play our part in supporting your access needs, we are giving all eligible mobile subscribers a one off 20GB of free extra data which can be activated within My Optus app anytime during the month of April and valid for 30 days from activation. For our eligible prepaid customers, we will also be offering 10GB of free extra data when you top up for more than $40 during the month of April.

We'll have more details about these extra data offers available soon at optus.com.au/COVID19-support.

Statistics

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University (JHU)

Stay safe and look after each other (from a safe distance)
Dear posters: unsubstantiated advice will be deleted. We understand you want to help, but #fakenews blah blah blah we're not allowing any disinformation. Got some great advice about washing your hands whilst dancing like David Byrne in Once In A Lifetime helps kill the virus? That's fantastic, provide a link to a reputable source.

Last edited:
Not surprised, in my experience the "elderly" are some of the rudest people going around - talk about self entitled.

"I don't have to pick up my dogs s**t on the oval, I'm old"

"I can cut you off on the road, nearly cause a huge pile up because I'm old"

"I will bump you out the way and then not say excuse me because I'm old"

You need to move to a better neighbourhood. All those fragile old dears bumping people out of the way...….:rolleyes:

The supermarket situation is getting ugly and will only get worse.
Someone has just stabbed a Woolworths employee at a supermarket.

A Coles employee was hit with a stick.
A man had to be tasered in a Big W.
Far out, a minor inconvenience for most and we are on the brink of society breaking down. Imagine if this was a REALLY deadly disease? There would be utter chaos by now.

There is the possibility that they think something might work for a vaccine - but it has to be fully tested to find out if that is the case. You do lab work. Then you do lab work with animals. Then you do testing on human populations. The last two need to go through ethics approvals etc and checking of the results. If you get a vaccine through in 18 months, it is insanely fast. More like 2-3 years before a vaccine can be released to the public.
Necessity is the mother of invention.

If you genuinely think we're all going to be shut up in 18 months time while the economy collapses around our ears, then I think you're being naive.

The Chinese will jump straight to human testing the moment they have something to test.

Every nation on earth is turning their attention to solving this. There are multiple treatments and vaccines that are approaching testing stage. These will be fast tracked beyond what is legally typical.

If you genuinely think we're all going to be shut up in 18 months time while the economy collapses around our ears, then I think you're being naive.

The Chinese will jump straight to human testing the moment they have something to test.

Every nation on earth is turning their attention to solving this. There are multiple treatments and vaccines that are approaching testing stage. These will be fast tracked beyond what is legally typical.

It's not happening any time soon because the risk of a dodgy vaccine killing more people than the virus itself is real

And someone was hit with six traffic cones and a plastic meetcat at Aldi. It was all they had in their trolley.

I read about that stabbing, but I don't think it was a crazy shopper that did it.

He was out collecting trolleys when it happened, sounds more like it was a targeted attack.

It's not happening any time soon because the risk of a dodgy vaccine killing more people than the virus itself is real
No, that's really naive. Of course it will be rushed to market. We're facing a productivity driven economic depression that would take years to pull out of - they're not sitting on their hands.

They're also not vaccinating for something that is unlike anything they've ever seen. They'll have something ready for use by September.

No, that's really naive. Of course it will be rushed to market. We're facing a productivity driven economic depression that would take years to pull out of - they're not sitting on their hands.

They're also not vaccinating for something that is unlike anything they've ever seen. They'll have something ready for use by September.

2 years of development is rushing it to market. All the experts actually involved with the vaccine development are saying this.

You are being naive thinking they will risk pushing an untested vaccine onto the masses. If they get it wrong the results will be catastrophic

Conspiracy theory, was it lab developed there, now there’s a debate
Theories abound. Chinese are blaming America to most likely deflect. Another theory a bat infected an intermediary host that was sold at a wet/wildlife market. Another theory is that it was a man made virus that inadvertently escaped from a lab which is 200 metres apparently from Wuhan market. Another theory is that the animals tested on in a lab were not disposed of correctly or been sold to a market for employees to make some extra cash. My theory is that it came from a bat which has infected a mammal, maybe the pangolin either through natural means or man made means. That mammal has been consumed and the person slaughtering it or whoever consumed it is patient zero.
There is also speculation there is 2 strains of virus. One more virulent than the other which could be the reason for higher death rate. This is just speculation currently.
1st known case of coronavirus traced back to November in China | Live Science

Coronavirus: Where did it come from and how did we get here? - National | Globalnews.ca

I'm glad you didn't specify which year. September 2021? Probably - I give it a 70% chance of it happening by then. September 2020? Not a snowball's chance in Hell.
Thalidomide looked so promising in early trials for morning sickness.

I shouldn’t have said skipped steps but I think they’ll do everything to make the process shorter than it normally is.

You can't. I have worked in the space of ethical approvals and have a bit of knowledge around TGA approvals. No matter the pressure put on, you can't send a drug out without all the required valid testing in place. Just because something is okay'd in other parts of the world, it still needs to be checked off and okay'd here via the TGA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hoping the panic buying will end soon because it's just getting crazy now.

We went last night for our fortnightly shopping and we just had to buy what we could. Going by what was sold out it suggests that spaghetti bolognese seems to be the Aussie staple meal.

Also as a heads up to everyone, the next item that's starting to disappear is paracetamol. New advice from the last couple of days suggests that anti inflammatory medication like ibuprofen can potentially make the effects of COVID-19 more severe and that people should be only taking paracetamol if suffering pain and fever related to COVID-19.

If you're low on them or don't have any, get yourself some before the panic buyers start buying them in truck loads and they completely disappear.

They'll also be kicked out of the medical profession and likely jailed for sending out a faulty vaccine!

What happens when Universities are shut down? That testing comes to a halt or is severely restricted.

You can't fast track to market or import from other countries without being okay'd by the TGA - https://www.tga.gov.au/prescription-medicines-biologicals-new-registrations. There is an option to prioritise a drug to market, but they will still abide by the regulations - as they state on the website it "involves faster TGA evaluation of vital and life-saving medicines for which a complete data dossier is available." That last part is the most important. They need the data and you can't fast track human trials.

How many humans are going to be available to be tested is another major problem for researchers and their teams.

What happens when Universities are shut down? That testing comes to a halt or is severely restricted.

You can't fast track to market or import from other countries without being okay'd by the TGA - https://www.tga.gov.au/prescription-medicines-biologicals-new-registrations. There is an option to prioritise a drug to market, but they will still abide by the regulations - as they state on the website it "involves faster TGA evaluation of vital and life-saving medicines for which a complete data dossier is available." That last part is the most important. They need the data and you can't fast track human trials.

How many humans are going to be available to be tested is another major problem for researchers and their teams.
I don't think there will be a shortage of humans available to be tested, unfortunately.

Well in that circumstance I think it would only be Mego Red's cousin Damo pouring Apple juice into a test tube labelled "Damo's Sweet-as Corona Cure"... So it probably wouldn't need to go through TGA ;)

There is a reason why the AFL tried very hard to ensure that the TGA were kept well away from the Essendon drug cheating system. There are massive penalties that come in to force for trying to get around the TGA. In the past there have been drugs approved by the FDA that are not approved here in Australia and won't be submitted for approval in Australia.

I don't think there will be a shortage of humans available to be tested, unfortunately.

You need a healthy population as well. That's going to be interesting for researchers to find the right balance that is required. Traditionally as well they have only selected male participants to be tested. Now there are more guidelines around a more well-rounded testing population to include all genders etc.

HAHA Brilliant

With tongue firmly planted in his cheek, Gawn suggested a left-field solution to the potential 20 per cent pay cut facing players amid the coronavirus crisis.

“What we’re going to do is we’re going to corner Steven May and Jake Lever, and just obviously show them the amount of games they’ve played since they’ve got their money, and hopefully they’ll be able to help out a few of the younger boys,” Gawn joked on RSN Breakfast Club.
“That’s what we’re going to do.”

I wish he wasn't joking

I'm hoping the panic buying will end soon because it's just getting crazy now.

We went last night for our fortnightly shopping and we just had to buy what we could. Going by what was sold out it suggests that spaghetti bolognese seems to be the Aussie staple meal.

Also as a heads up to everyone, the next item that's starting to disappear is paracetamol. New advice from the last couple of days suggests that anti inflammatory medication like ibuprofen can potentially make the effects of COVID-19 more severe and that people should be only taking paracetamol if suffering pain and fever related to COVID-19.

If you're low on them or don't have any, get yourself some before the panic buyers start buying them in truck loads and they completely disappear.
These will go soon. Often they have been low in stock or out, but it's easy to get stock back in as the packets are small so it's easier to get a lot of it quickly for the shops. It's another reason why toilet paper has been the hardest to keep up with, packs are large so you're only sending small numbers of packs out at a time. (along with obviously being something which is used as a constant)

India have restricted export on a number of pharmaceuticals and ingredients and paracetamol is one. A number of antibiotics also, to keep for their own country during this virus.
This flew under the radar quietly, I was waiting for full on panic buying of it if this was well known.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back