My take on our 2019 season

Remove this Banner Ad

don’t spend much time here these days, partly because of work matters but mainly to try to divorce myself from the increasingly hysterical ranting about our club and our coach.

That doesn’t mean that I haven’t spent a lot of time thinking about our current predicament and so in the following, I have provided my analysis as to maybe why we currently sit second bottom on the ladder with a 1/5 win/loss ratio.

I will start by saying, that while I am as bitterly disappointed as everyone eIse, I am also not that surprised and here are my reasons.

To provide some perspective let’s go back to season 2017. We finished that season with a 6/16 win/loss ratio. In round 23 we played Brisbane in Brisbane in the battle for the wooden spoon and the 1st pick in the draft. We won the game and Brisbane won the coveted 1st pick, subsequently taking Cam Rayner with that pick while we took Luke Davies-Uniacke with pick 4. That draft was, as I recall, regarded as one of the lesser quality drafts, with Jaidyn Stephenson so far appearing the best of the top 10 that year. So far that draft is in my view view living up to its fairly ordinary expectations.

But perhaps the thing that stands out most from 2017 is that many pundits believed our list was such that we were at best a bottom 4 side and on that form, many tipped us to take the spoon in 2018.

Many posters here thought we were a good chance for the spoon too in 2018 and indeed the (in)famous “Tankin’ for Rankine” thread was born early in the 2018 year

Of course we did much better than that finishing 9th with a 12/10 win/loss ratio. But why did we do so much better in 2018 than expectations and why has that not carried through to this year? I think there are many reasons.

Firstly, as we all know the uneven nature of the draw offers an easier run to the bottom 6 sides from the following year. Perhaps we are seeing this again already this year with 4 of the bottom 6 from last year exceeding expectations, being Fremantle, Brisbane, St. Kilda and Gold Coast. Whether these teams will continue in this vein remains to be seen. In my opinion Fremantle has improved their list through some astute trading, while Brisbane, I believe, have been building really well through their consistent access to some very good draft picks. In other words it is not the draw alone in their respective situations, but also perhaps already having in place a better than expected list

Secondly, 3 names stand out to me, being Majak Daw, Ben Jacobs and Jarrad Waite. In my opinion their absence this year is a huge factor in our fall from grace, way bigger than perhaps many realise.

Majak had a break out year last year, influencing so many results through his intercept marking in defence. Suddenly Taz and ScottyT had a great deal of extra assistance in foiling opposition attacks, so much so that at one stage we had the stingiest defence in the competition. Maj is a huge loss, make no mistake.

But perhaps something else that I don’t think has been mentioned anywhere is the possible psychological impact his fall has had on the playing group. I would defy anyone to not be shaken, some significantly so, when the news of the Bolte bridge incident broke. I know I was, and I know I have been in the past when people I have known, have suicided or attempted suicide. Events like that force us all to re-examine our own feelings and vulnerabilities and can adversely impact on our behaviours, attitudes and performance.

In the case of Benny J, until he withdrew from the team in the second half of last year through his supposed concussion problems, he was playing wonderful football, shutting out some of the most damaging midfielders in the competition. And we were also winning a lot of games. In my opinion he is, when fit and playing easily the best tagger in the business. And he also contributes through winning a number of possessions himself, unlike some taggers who just shut down their opponent. We miss him big time.

Equally Jarrad Waite is a huge loss. Benny B is nowhere near the forward he was last year, because Waitey when fit, though he never kicked as many goals as Benny, was far more dangerous both as a goal kicking forward and for his hard work all over the ground. How often we saw him go down back and lend a helping hand when our defence was under pressure.

Thirdly, we have been unable to snare a highly rated free agent in the last two years. The club I believe recognised in 2017 that indeed our list was not the greatest list and targeted Kelly and Martin. What a difference one or both of those would have made last year and again this year if we’d got them. (We certainly won’t ever see either of them in North colours now.)

Last year we targeted de Goey and Gaff and again missed out on the chocolates. Jared Polec is a very good footballer but he does not have the game breaking talent that those other 4 we targeted so hard in 2017 and 2018 have.

Which means, in my view, we have come into season 2019, through the absence of Daw and Jacobs and the retirement of Waitey, with a list that on paper is of inferior quality to that of 2017, which so easily could have won the spoon that year.

Throw in the under preparation of Taz, the most unfortunate ACL to EVW, the continued inability of Garner to play a game and I think it is very fair to say that we are at best a bottom 4 side. Our depth has also been tested by having the equal highest injury list with Melbourne and St. Kilda, being 14 players each. Brisbane, the Bulldogs and West Coast have just 5 players on their injury lists.

We can blame the coach, the coaching staff, the recruiting staff as much as we want and obviously none of them are blameless.

But my view is that we are in the position we are in, more than anything else, because the available talent on the list to choose from, is not all that great and dare I say it, we have an available list of wooden spoon quality.

Finally, I think we all need to be realistic, accept the facts of where we are at and why we are at it, and get behind the club, especially those who have decided not to buy memberships or suggest they have lost interest in the club. If you want the club to remain unsuccessful then do that, but if you want the club to turn its fortunes around, then get behind it and back it in.

Just my opinion.

don’t spend much time here these days, partly because of work matters but mainly to try to divorce myself from the increasingly hysterical ranting about our club and our coach.

That doesn’t mean that I haven’t spent a lot of time thinking about our current predicament and so in the following, I have provided my analysis as to maybe why we currently sit second bottom on the ladder with a 1/5 win/loss ratio.

I will start by saying, that while I am as bitterly disappointed as everyone eIse, I am also not that surprised and here are my reasons.

To provide some perspective let’s go back to season 2017. We finished that season with a 6/16 win/loss ratio. In round 23 we played Brisbane in Brisbane in the battle for the wooden spoon and the 1st pick in the draft. We won the game and Brisbane won the coveted 1st pick, subsequently taking Cam Rayner with that pick while we took Luke Davies-Uniacke with pick 4. That draft was, as I recall, regarded as one of the lesser quality drafts, with Jaidyn Stephenson so far appearing the best of the top 10 that year. So far that draft is in my view view living up to its fairly ordinary expectations.

But perhaps the thing that stands out most from 2017 is that many pundits believed our list was such that we were at best a bottom 4 side and on that form, many tipped us to take the spoon in 2018.

Many posters here thought we were a good chance for the spoon too in 2018 and indeed the (in)famous “Tankin’ for Rankine” thread was born early in the 2018 year

Of course we did much better than that finishing 9th with a 12/10 win/loss ratio. But why did we do so much better in 2018 than expectations and why has that not carried through to this year? I think there are many reasons.

Firstly, as we all know the uneven nature of the draw offers an easier run to the bottom 6 sides from the following year. Perhaps we are seeing this again already this year with 4 of the bottom 6 from last year exceeding expectations, being Fremantle, Brisbane, St. Kilda and Gold Coast. Whether these teams will continue in this vein remains to be seen. In my opinion Fremantle has improved their list through some astute trading, while Brisbane, I believe, have been building really well through their consistent access to some very good draft picks. In other words it is not the draw alone in their respective situations, but also perhaps already having in place a better than expected list

Secondly, 3 names stand out to me, being Majak Daw, Ben Jacobs and Jarrad Waite. In my opinion their absence this year is a huge factor in our fall from grace, way bigger than perhaps many realise.

Majak had a break out year last year, influencing so many results through his intercept marking in defence. Suddenly Taz and ScottyT had a great deal of extra assistance in foiling opposition attacks, so much so that at one stage we had the stingiest defence in the competition. Maj is a huge loss, make no mistake.

But perhaps something else that I don’t think has been mentioned anywhere is the possible psychological impact his fall has had on the playing group. I would defy anyone to not be shaken, some significantly so, when the news of the Bolte bridge incident broke. I know I was, and I know I have been in the past when people I have known, have suicided or attempted suicide. Events like that force us all to re-examine our own feelings and vulnerabilities and can adversely impact on our behaviours, attitudes and performance.

In the case of Benny J, until he withdrew from the team in the second half of last year through his supposed concussion problems, he was playing wonderful football, shutting out some of the most damaging midfielders in the competition. And we were also winning a lot of games. In my opinion he is, when fit and playing easily the best tagger in the business. And he also contributes through winning a number of possessions himself, unlike some taggers who just shut down their opponent. We miss him big time.

Equally Jarrad Waite is a huge loss. Benny B is nowhere near the forward he was last year, because Waitey when fit, though he never kicked as many goals as Benny, was far more dangerous both as a goal kicking forward and for his hard work all over the ground. How often we saw him go down back and lend a helping hand when our defence was under pressure.

Thirdly, we have been unable to snare a highly rated free agent in the last two years. The club I believe recognised in 2017 that indeed our list was not the greatest list and targeted Kelly and Martin. What a difference one or both of those would have made last year and again this year if we’d got them. (We certainly won’t ever see either of them in North colours now.)

Last year we targeted de Goey and Gaff and again missed out on the chocolates. Jared Polec is a very good footballer but he does not have the game breaking talent that those other 4 we targeted so hard in 2017 and 2018 have.

Which means, in my view, we have come into season 2019, through the absence of Daw and Jacobs and the retirement of Waitey, with a list that on paper is of inferior quality to that of 2017, which so easily could have won the spoon that year.

Throw in the under preparation of Taz, the most unfortunate ACL to EVW, the continued inability of Garner to play a game and I think it is very fair to say that we are at best a bottom 4 side. Our depth has also been tested by having the equal highest injury list with Melbourne and St. Kilda, being 14 players each. Brisbane, the Bulldogs and West Coast have just 5 players on their injury lists.

We can blame the coach, the coaching staff, the recruiting staff as much as we want and obviously none of them are blameless.

But my view is that we are in the position we are in, more than anything else, because the available talent on the list to choose from, is not all that great and dare I say it, we have an available list of wooden spoon quality.

Finally, I think we all need to be realistic, accept the facts of where we are at and why we are at it, and get behind the club, especially those who have decided not to buy memberships or suggest they have lost interest in the club. If you want the club to remain unsuccessful then do that, but if you want the club to turn its fortunes around, then get behind it and back it in.

Just my opinion.
I agree with most of what you're saying. The last paragraph especially.
What I am starting to realise is that if a club bring in players to fill key positions, while losing some that are not replaced, it takes time for the team to work as team. Port Adelaide struggled bringing in Watts, rockliff and Motlop. Essendon struggled with Smith and stringer. West coast went backwards for a little while playing Mitchell and Petrie. At local level big time recruits often mess with the team structure and take time.
The problem with our losses is the overall lack of confidence the playing group has had for five weeks. I hope something clicked in the last quarter versus port.
I don't think our list is bad. Plan B, C, and D are hard to implement (if they exist) into a team that is not settled. Instinctive actions have crucial seconds stolen from them when the player is not sure what their team mate is thinking.

I don't think missing out on players means anything. I find it hard to criticise what could have been. Look at any other clubs injury list. AFL lists are never a perfect world.
I've been harsh on the coach (after that Good Friday debacle where the players couldn't/wouldn't look at each other) but, I am semi-sure, the integration of new players had had the effect it has had on other clubs before.
Media announce that the club has got just what it needed. Club misses finals. Fire up the next year united with the entitled delisted in return for hungry players ready to support the plan the key players are buying into. Some space for flair allowed for the youngsters coming in.

Well stated Horace. The other factor in the disappointment of fans is that the Club knowing or should have known, the impact of the loss of Jarryd Waite, the likelihood of Jacobs, Garner, etc not being available has oversold our potential for 2019.

Not sure anyone would have said we had a list of "wooden spoon quality" two months ago though. Your list is only as good as the people developing/coaching it and the systems being used.

The fact that we can't cover the absence of 2-3 players also points to the same issues around coaching and systems.

Last edited:
The fact that we can't cover the absence of 2-3 players also points to the same issues around coaching and systems.

The biggest single issue. I've mentioned a few times over the years my disappointment with a "gamblers" mentality at the club and this is exactly what I'm talking about. You simply cannot have a system that is reliant on specific players with extremely specific skills in a number of areas and expect consistent results. Players will get injured. Players will have down days, off field issues or the runs. Your system needs to be robust enough that it can handle it. Our system in the middle for example requires Jed Anderson and Jacobs to work at the moment - because they are the only players with real and significant defensive running and pressure. With 12+ players running through the middle I don't see how that is sustainable.

You can have a system the ends with your FF taking a large portion of your shots on goal and count yourself a bit unlucky if they are injured. You slot in the next natural replacement and expect the system to continue to function but with reduced output. Our system doesn't. It breaks down completely, but more to the point, the rest of the field cannot and should not have such reliance on such specific role types. It's easier to break down and it's easier to shutdown.

Brad Scott has zero creativity that’s a major issue

Very rare you will see him make positional changes within games

Tarrant should be swung forward more often for instance
Turner can go back if struggling
Ziebell to the goal square if there’s a mismatch etc
Mix up the centre square combo get Zurhaar, McDonald in there from time to time

Well spoken Horace.
We all ride the highs and lows of our great club and emotions change depending on the results.
But there are some things that shouldn’t happen, our skills are deplorable and have been for years.
I love the club and every day I wear at least a North piece of clothing, but we need to make some changes, be bold at the trade table, football department needs to face reality that some things aren’t working.
Win or lose I still get a kick watching each week, win I watch the replay multiple times, lose never to be seen again. I have to much time on my hands with losing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just my opinion.
Very good summary Horace

That's a great read and well thought out. I agree with an awful lot of it too.

I dunno about list quality as an issue tho.

In 2017 we lost 5 games by less than a goal. So we could have easily won the spoon if we'd lost to Brisbane but also could have easily not been in that position to begin with as well if we'd kicked straight or shown late game composure against a bunch of teams, including Freo twice. Last year there were 3 games between 3rd (15 wins) and 12th (12 wins). The bottom four stood out as bad. Right now one of those bottom four teams is still in the bottom four (Carltank), 2 are in the 8 (St K. and BL) and the other (GC) is a game and a fair bit of percentage outside the 8. Of the bottom 3 teams 2 were in the 8 (GoDEES, COLA) last year. They were both in the top 6 (5th and 6th) - 2 wins out of second place, one needed percentage as well (COLA). There is one of last years top four sides still there, another is in 8th and tghe others are out of the 8. I know its still only the start of May but its a very even comp. So our list last year (which was better with Maj in form and BJ playing well) was a few games from third place and not that different to 2017 when we could have been last.

As an aside if ST. K and BL hold their form and even push into the top four that throws the whole nature of the draw out the window. Especially with 3 top 6 teams so low on the ladder this year.

This comp is so even that really the lists are probably not that uneven themselves. Its possibly 2 or 3 quality players in form (and as you mentioned, not out with injuries) that make a difference and also the quality of the worst 2 or 3 players. Especially if those bad players are not spread across the ground but concentrated in the midfield or any other key area, (eg not enough good small forwards, or defensive midfielders.)

In some ways I guess that means the list is spoon quality but possibly only cos of injury. Also with such even lists its a very close thing, other factors might actually make the difference besides the playing group. IE coaching on the day, team preparation and even new players not gelling yet.

Ironically that also means the season is still wide open for us.

There is a chance (however slim) that we replace those key role players we missed in Waite and Jacobs with Hayden and Larkey. Hayden might take a while to build the required tank (I dunno about that) and really we'd want more players playing defensively as well. Larkey is mobile and generally good, can see him filling Waite's shoes quite easily. W80 himself thinks he can. And he's got a bit of attitude too - something W80 had in spades.

I thought late against Port certain aspects of the so called "game plan" started to gel. But i need to watch the second half again to be sure of that.

One other thing about the relative evenness of the lists across the league. Chasing a "big fish" becomes an excellent strategy not a s**t one.

Anyway cheers.

Bloody well said Horace, thank you.

One way I've looked at it too, hysteria aside we're an ok list with an ok coach. And with the comp so even, of course our best footy will have us in the bottom of the eight, and our worst will leave us with the spoon. Just the same as the majority of the comp. So we're here pulling out hair out, nothing's changed. Well those three players you mentioned would be nice, especially Jacobs, but in terms of Scott losing it or the players now being terrible, come on. To me it feels a lot like standard variance. And to that point I feel a lot like we have seen the worst of our season, and another year of 8 - 12 beckons. We'll see I guess.

Reckon the 6 6 6 rule is hurting us as well. Our midfield is pretty static and very slow to spread once we are second to it from centre bounces which is all to common.

Midfield is slow and reactive.

Would love to know the exact amount of goals we have copped from straight centre clearances this year.

Well stated Horace. The other factor in the disappointment of fans is that the Club knowing or should have known, the impact of the loss of Jarryd Waite, the likelihood of Jacobs, Garner, etc not being available has oversold our potential for 2019.

Let’s be honest here, W80 had one great year with us, the rest was so hotch potch with missing from injury that his loss was well known before this year; in other words it should not have been a surprise but the trouble is finding an alternative which is something that has emerged with Larkey hopefully

Reckon the 6 6 6 rule is hurting us as well. Our midfield is pretty static and very slow to spread once we are second to it from centre bounces which is all to common.

Would love to know the exact amount of goals we have copped from straight centre clearances this year.

Marstermind ? Any stats?

I think the midfield is starting to work better actually. Against Port with basically Cunners and Jed (TG rucking) it was very effective.

I've made it painfully clear to people who have lets say been on the anti-Brad bandwagon recently that I am sympathetic of the fact that our preparation to this year has been a trainwreck, you can't judge someone on a 6 month period. My main issue is that we have an extensive body of evidence over his entire career with us as a coach, that is what I judge him on.

I don't think anyone saw the Daw thing coming and while we were under the pump in terms of availability of defenders early on, the majority of our problems stem from how pathetic we have been in the middle and as Ben described, there was a lack of want. We were good last year when Daw was still s**t, so I don't subscribe to no Daw, no North. Our system in the middle is just very negative and unless everyone in on point with the pressure then you can't zone and we look shithouse. We dropped games to woeful opposition last year pretty much the round after convincingly taking down a contender, we have too many players not prepared to put in for a 22 round campaign and if you can beat the likes of West Coast, GWS, Hawks, etc convincingly and that isn't enough to inspire you to have a crack every week then we aren't fair dinkum about this caper, you can't just show up and desire to put the effort in against a decent side.

I've made it painfully clear to people who have lets say been on the anti-Brad bandwagon recently that I am sympathetic of the fact that our preparation to this year has been a trainwreck, you can't judge someone on a 6 month period.

I don't understand how anyone can give a 10 year coach (and support team / higher management) a leave pass for poor preparation.

My main issue is that we have an extensive body of evidence over his entire career with us as a coach, that is what I judge him on.

Exactly. It is that simple. He's been okay - clearly we need more than okay to go further.

I don't understand how anyone can give a 10 year coach (and support team / higher management) a leave pass for poor preparation.

As Horace has pointed out, some things were out of our control like the Daw incident, players with pre-existing injuries like Jacobs, Garner, etc. I think the main issue where you can fault the coach/club is for something like playing Brown despite him needing an operation, a number of players went under the knife at the end of last season and had interrupted pre-seasons. In the grand scheme of things, would it have been worth scraping into the finals on the back of broken down players? When we have done so in the past our exits have been pretty brutal.

With injured players, they see specialists so it isn't just an issue with our club medical, I think most clubs have players who have had numerous injury issues.

My main preparation gripe is we seem to be a month behind other clubs in preparing for a new year, we seem more preoccupied with giving every player game time during the pre-season games rather than rely on intra clubs for match conditioning and using the limited games against other clubs to lock down the best 25 or so and get ready to go round 1. We always look lethargic every year to begin with and are on the back foot every year except the one we were determined to come out strong and ended up winning 9 of the first 10 games. You would think that experience would have been more appealing than the typical lethargic approach.

Exactly. It is that simple. He's been okay - clearly we need more than okay to go further.

I thought he had improved, particularly early last year, he started to make some pro-active changes, for the most part was picking players in decent form, but the further the season went pear shape the more he regressed to old habits.

It isn't just internal perception from bitter supporters, we obviously aren't producing assistants that are of interest to any other club, we aren't producing talent a club like GWS would consider, the win/loss ratio over a long period of time isn't great and all bar one finals campaign ended in obliteration. Who knows, maybe something happens and the club turns the corner like Richmond did when the jungle drums were beating for Hardwick's head. Even though Brad's record is average, there have been well below average coaches going around, it isn't like we can't do any worse, we can get someone who might be a lot worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back