My Take on This Year's Bash

Remove this Banner Ad

Hurricanes need a deep review ! Honestly some of the efforts were nothing better than pathetic ,Tim DAvid and Meredith Ellis excepted rest showed up for the pay check
Wade , Mcdermott , short , didn’t look interested , we’re not worth the price to get in the gate, as always the imports were poor

Needs a broom thru the team , and the coaches performance based pay might help
Yep

Chronically under performed with that side.
I think Wade has a lot to do with it.
Constantly getting aggro with the oppo and his own players.

They didn't look like they were enjoying themselves.

I'm sure there will be some changes made.
Punter won't be one to stand back and do nothing.

I thought the Hurricanes underachieved, however, they were overhyped at the start of the season. Hurricanes were the side where we had all the ingredients but couldn't blend them together to cooperate as one.

Here's a player review in one sentence
Ben McDermott - had a horrible season but I reckon he'll bounce back.
Caleb Jewell - inconsistent
Darcy Short - looking to head back to Perth Scorchers in BBL 13
Matthew Wade's - temper got the best of him at times.
Tim David - was Solid
Nathan Ellis - was Solid
Paddy Dooley - was Solid (Injury Prone)
Riley Meredith - concedes too many runs
Joel Paris - concedes too many runs
Mitch Owen - Delist
Will Parker - Delist
Chris Tremain - Delist
Tom Andrews - Not sold just yet
Mac Wright - Solid for one game

Internationals
Zac Crawley is the best international batsman we've had since Owaish Shah
Faheem Ashraf was solid (Apart from the game at Adelaide Oval)
Shadab Khan was Solid (Khan Got injured halfway through the season)
Jimmy Neesham was Solid (I Don't get the hate)
Asif Ali - Never again

The good news is that Puntings guaranteed to have the top 3 picks for the international BBL draft which means we could possibly draft a Livingstone, Archer, Russell etc. Plus I think we need to focus on getting the players that can fill a need such as a Jono wells type player that can control the fall of wickets.

Do the non-full-timers take a few months off work and move interstate? What's the lowest BBL wage?
Base for rookie listed players is $42k, from what I've seen. And yeah, it's been reported that Nick Hobson, for instance, works half the year and plays cricket half the year.

Base for rookie listed players is $42k, from what I've seen. And yeah, it's been reported that Nick Hobson, for instance, works half the year and plays cricket half the year.
Thanks. I wonder if some of them toss up whether it's worth it. There's a couple of times when older footballers have knocked back "rookie" contracts because they didn't wanna quit their jobs

I'd love CA to hold off on reducing the comp to 10 games per team. I'd prefer they stuck with 14 which means we have a fair fixture, nobody makes the finals fortuitously and nobody is unfortunate to miss out. If they have to deviate from 14 games, go to 12 which I see a compromise between the unpopular 14 game format and the popular ( but carnival like) 10 game format.

With a 12 game comp, you still have to play 5 teams twice to show you're worthy of playing finals, you've still got a decent amount of content for broadcasters and you can easily get the comp done in 6 weeks.

I have 2 issues with the 10 game per team format: the tournament is over too quickly and I think CA would like the BBL to take up a fair chunk of the December/January school holidays. Also, who you play once and who you play twice becomes too important for my liking when it comes to who finishes where at the end of the regular season.

This has been an excellent season. Covid not rampantly compromising crowds and player availability like the last two seasons definitely helps. Last year's final on a neutral ground was a damp squib atmosphere wise when around 10,000 turned up to Marvel Stadium.

For a long time, this season looked like 56 home and away games and 4 finals to finally arrive at what many would have described as the inevitable Scorchers vs Sixers final. I admire both sides who have won 8 of the 12 BBL titles but it would be refreshing to see two different teams in next year's decider.

Last edited:
The 14-game supposed fairness argument loses all credibility when you have Team A playing against Smith and Khawaja, while Team B gets to play against the Sixers and Heat reserves teams.

40 H&A games + 3 finals well and truly covers the school holiday period.

Sometimes less is best. Reducing the number of games is a good idea, but no way will Cricket Australia will get rid of a Melbourne or Sydney team.
It's only 7 years ago when 80,000 people turned up for the derby game at the MCG, how do we get back to that sort of interest?

I’d be surprised if we ever did tbh.

It’s an inherently short attention game. Minimised attention span, with lots of loud music and fireworks etc to keep people entertained when there is a dull moment.

Makes sense it ends up as a hype machine fad that settles down now into a routine, and doesn’t have rusted on support. It’s a background show, which again makes sense - it’s like comparing VFL to AFL when you think of BBL v test cricket, that’s not a criticism, it can’t be anything else.

Maybe if we got an all Melbourne final it’d draw a crowd but I’d be surprised still at 80k

Get rid of the Renegades (I say that as an original gades fan) and the Thunder.

Will increase the standard immeasurably if the comp can't draw on big overseas players anymore.

Will also reduce the season length.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back