My top 30

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Something to do while in lockdown.

I have ranked Australia's top 30 players prior to WSC.

I have only listed 30 as opposed to my other list of 50, even though 305 players played in the first 90 years.

This was much harder as I havent seen most of these guys play. I have gone on history of the game and things I've heard via commentators legenedary stories, reading books and stories from my father etc.

Interestingly enough aussies played 394 tests prior to WSC (and 20 unofficial tests) and after WSC 40 or so years have played 436 tests.

The criteria I have used is:
- only considered players that played a minimum of 25 tests prior to WSC (this made the likes of spofforth, turner, murdoch, ryder, tallon, barnes, brown and a few others ineligible for the sake of this exercise)
- g.chappell, lillee and r.marsh are the only players to play 25+ tests either side of WSC and I have made them ineligible for this group as they qualified in the last group and ranked quite highly).
- didn't take into account their feats in odi cricket as aussies had played just under 30 odi's in their history at this point
- took into account longevity in the game

Happy for you guys to pick the bones out of this, as I'm sure some of it may be controversial.

30. R.Cowper
29. A.Mallett
28. W.Armstrong
27. C.Giffen
26. J.Blackham
25. B.Oldfield
24. B.Lawry
23. G.McKenzie
22. J.Thomson
21. D.Walters

20. L.Hassett
19. B.Simpson
18. M.Noble
17. I.Chappell
16. C.Macartney
15. H.Trumble
14. B.Woodfull
13. V.Trumper
12. W.Grout
11. R.Benaud

10. S.McCabe
9. B.Ponsford
8. N.Harvey
7. A.Morris
6. A.Davidson
5. C.Grimmett
4. B.O'Reilly
3. R.Lindwall
2. K.Miller
1. D.Bradman

so if i'm picking a side with team balance from the top 12 ranked players, my side would look like this: (ranking next to name)

7. A.Morris
9. B.Ponsford
1. D.Bradman
8. N.Harvey
10. S.McCabe
2. K.Miller
12. W.Grout
6. A.Davidson
3. R.Lindwall
5. C.Grimmett
4. B.O'Reilly

11. R.Benaud

*davidson and lindwall probably bat ahead of grout, but i've left grout in the traditional number 7 batting spot.

I'd take Lawry over Ponsford (better player of pace), and I'd play Benaud instead of Grimmett to solidify the batting. Bert Oldfield in place of Grout also.

Lawry
Morris
Bradman
McCabe
Miller
Harvey
Benaud *
Davidson
Lindwall
Oldfield +
OReilly

Lindwall, Miller, Davidson, OReilly and Benaud, plus McCabe is a great bowling attack.

I'd take Lawry over Ponsford (better player of pace), and I'd play Benaud instead of Grimmett to solidify the batting. Bert Oldfield in place of Grout also.

Lawry
Morris
Bradman
McCabe
Miller
Harvey
Benaud *
Davidson
Lindwall
Oldfield +
OReilly

Lindwall, Miller, Davidson, OReilly and Benaud, plus McCabe is a great bowling attack.

Still a very good side as I didn't have Lawry and Oldfield too much further down my list. Certainly would feature in my 2nd XI.

I would have Harvey batting ahead of Miller though and probably even McCabe.

Lawry
Morris
Bradman
McCabe
Miller
Harvey
Benaud *
Davidson
Lindwall
Oldfield +
OReilly

To play against:

Simpson
Ponsford
Macartney
Trumper
Hassett
Noble *
Gregory
Tallon +
Turner
Grimmett
Johnston