Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
1200px-Collingwood_Football_Club_Logo_(2017–present).svg.png

NUMBER ONE - Collingwood Magpies
The iconic Magpie, featured on all of Collingwood's logos is simply perfection. Instantly recognisable as the Magpie of Collingwood, the bird always seems to stand proudly, better yet, it's the most iconic of Australian birds, of an Australian Football Club in the Australian Football League and not only represents our league, but it's an iconic symbol of our country and stands toe to toe with Vegemite, as an ambassador of Aussie culture. In shorter terms, this is the best logo in the game, and only the Lion of Fitzroy ever truly competed with it for supremacy.

1200px-Sydney_Swans_Logo.svg.png
NUMBER TWO - Sydney Swans
The Swan that carefully blends with the Sydney Opera House is discreet, subtle yet stands out very boldly. This logo was introduced in 1996 and has aged remarkably well.

503SA23701_alt4.jpeg
NUMBER THREE - West Coast Eagles
The club has made many attempts to get this logo right and for a very long time, had one of the worst logos in the competition. This logo however, is one of the best. Firstly, it's clearly an Eagle, not a duck or a platypus, so it's already a win. Secondly, the font is unique, especially in Eagles and pays homage to their old and original logos. So whilst recognising the past, the logo has been modernised for the present.
carlton.jpeg
NUMBER FOUR - Carlton Football Club
Carlton have played around with their iconic CFC logo, but the latest philosophy behind it is 'less is more', the navy is perfect this time around. The only flaw behind it is context, every logo stats the team or/and year of establishment or has a deeper layer of meaning behind it, whether it's the geographical location or mantra. What does that logo mean to anyone who doesn't support Carlton? Currently, not much, but onfield success will one day give this logo relevance again. It stands however you put, as one of the best in the league, no matter how many times it's altered.

Added bonus content, a bottom four!
15th - Geelong Cats
16th - Melbourne Demons
17th - Adelaide Crows
18th - Gold Coast Suns

I like this Carlton logo better:

SbdtepEa.jpg

Not sure why they changed from that.

My top 4 would be:

Collingwood - Enough said.
West Coast - Successfully did what Adelaide were aiming to do.
Richmond - I'm generally not a fan of the cartoon logos, but I think they've made it attractive enough. It stands out from the rest.
Sydney - A classic, well designed logo

I really like the GWS logo as well. Simple and very marketable.

As for Essendon, they really need to update their logo. The logo overall isn't bad from a design perspective, but the grey needs to go. Detracts from what is one of the best colour combinations. I came across this logo and it looks 100X better:

1569893252101-png.756415

Given I have all the time in the world with this lockdown, why not spend time giving my view on the logos? I could do a lot worse.
I can honestly separate them into two groups, but here they are from 'Best' to 'Worst':

1. WESTERN BULLDOGS

Best one in my opinion. A massive improvement from their previous logos. Modern looking. Colours well-represented. Bulldog looks real and it represents team aggression. Pulls off the asymmetrical shape better than most others.

2. RICHMOND
Although it does use some red and white, it gets away with it well. The Tiger sticks out more than the previous logo. You see more of it and it gives off more character. But that being said, it is just the picture, the Richmond at the bottom along with the year of establishment looks a little out of place.

3. NORTH MELBOURNE
Certainly cleaner than their previous one. No grey in it. Bold leters and they rightly highlight the "North" part. The Kangaroo looks mean. I like mean looking mascots as it symbolises toughness.

4. SYDNEY SWANS
The only logo of the oldest that doesn't really need to change much. Love the little details to it. The V shape representing South Melbourne. The Sydney opera house outline in the back and how it too doubles as a wing. The use of red and white. Not to mention the swan itself. Only issue would be the black font. Perhaps make it bolder and somehow change it to red. Make the name look newer.

5. CARLTON
Very simple. And it only really fits them. A lot of history to it as well. I like that the monogram is bolder and more eye-catching. It makes the stenciled one look weak. Only thing I can say Carlton gets right when it comes to looking back for answers.

6. WEST COAST EAGLES
A MASSIVE improvement from their previous logo. I hated their long one. I couldn't fit it in any of my season overview projects for my clubs board. The colour scheme was also ugly. Love the simplicity of this logo. Cleaner, easier to read, proper use of the colours.

7. COLLINGWOOD
I wouldn't rate it as high as most, but it is most certainly up there with the best. They too have upgraded. I'm never usually a fan of the wheat or whatever it is, but it really works here. Love the stripes in the background. They stuck with the iconic magpie which is fantastic. The year of establishment fits nicely. And a simple 'Collingwood' is all that's needed below. Most importantly, I love that they removed the Australian flag. I absolutely detested their use of it, and have always questioned why they had the privelege to use it over everyone else. The blue and red too took a lot of attention away from the magpie.

8. FREMANTLE DOCKERS
I prefer the earlier version in the box, but I understand their want to include the year of establishment. Just not a fan of teams using colours which do not associate with them. Like the anchor threaded through the 'D'. Very clever. And I am still happy they have simplified their look to just purple and white. The red and green while historical, made them look all over the place. The combination just did not work well.

9. GEELONG CATS
Not much I can say about it, but I do approve. It is neat-looking. Has 'Geelong Cats' and I like the blending of the cats face with the stripes. Better than their older 'GFC' logo, that's for sure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (here is the divide)

10. HAWTHORN
Another average looking logo. Nothing special. I guess the hawk is alright. That and they too go hard with the name "Hawks" and stick to their colours. But my goodness, I do utterly despise the colour combination of brown and gold. Downright hideous and the worst of all the teams. Whoever came up with this should have been fired immediately.

11. MELBOURNE DEMONS
In this day and age, only Carlton can get away with a monogram. I understand there is history to this club (being the oldest one and all), but they are nicknamed the "demons". What is hellish about this logo? Looks like something for an American cafe.

12. BRISBANE LIONS
It's just a lions head. Probably give them a bit of credit for making it look somewhat mean, but that is just about it. Nothing much else to say. Not bad. Just meh! If anything, their older logos had more energy to them.

13. ST. KILDA
BRING BACK THE STICK FIGURE!!! Jokes aside, this is another one that looks sort of outdated. Slightly more tolerable than Essendon. However, I find it too soccer-like. Doesn't really scream footy to me.

14. ADELAIDE CROWS
The only thing I like about their latest logo when compared to their previous one is the font. The crow itself is horrid. I don't know why, but I get uncomfortable every time I look at it.

15. ESSENDON
Old and outdated. Needs a touch-up. Besides, I am not a fan of them using grey as it is not officially one of their team colours.

16. PORT ADELAIDE
Supposedly it is a one off for this year like both Carlton and Collingwood did for their anniversaries of establishment. But if not, it is a step back. While I did prefer something new, this is not what I had in mind. Too similar to Fremantle. Nothing "powerful" about it. A celebratory year so I'll let it slide. But they cannot last with it. This history cannot be repeated.

17. GWS GIANTS
Boring! Just an orange thing that is supposed to be a 'G', but looks barely like it. Weak correlation to the name "giants". Needs a significant touch up so it can stick out. More of the other team colours (white and charcoal grey) as well.

18. GOLD COAST SUNS
Never really liked this one. Don't like the GC. Don't like the name suns. Don't that they give themselves the colour blue, but there is bugger all use of it. There is no life in this logo. Looks like it is still a draft.

Last edited:
Given I have all the time in the world with this lockdown, why not spend time giving my view on the logos? I could do a lot worse.
I can honestly separate them into two groups, but here they are from 'Best' to 'Worst':

1. WESTERN BULLDOGS

Best one in my opinion. A massive improvement from their previous logos. Modern looking. Colours well-represented. Bulldog looks real and it represents team aggression. Pulls off the asymmetrical shape better than most others.

2. RICHMOND
Although it does use some red and white, it gets away with it well. The Tiger sticks out more than the previous logo. You see more of it and it gives off more character. But that being said, it is just the picture, the Richmond at the bottom along with the year of establishment looks a little out of place.

3. NORTH MELBOURNE
Certainly cleaner than their previous one. No grey in it. Bold leters and they rightly highlight the "North" part. The Kangaroo looks mean. I like mean looking mascots as it symbolises toughness.

4. SYDNEY SWANS
The only logo of the oldest that doesn't really need to change much. Love the little details to it. The V shape representing South Melbourne. The Sydney opera house outline in the back and how it too doubles as a wing. The use of red and white. Not to mention the swan itself. Only issue would be the black font. Perhaps make it bolder and somehow change it to red. Make the name look newer.

5. CARLTON
Very simple. And it only really fits them. A lot of history to it as well. I like that the monogram is bolder and more eye-catching. It makes the stenciled one look weak. Only thing I can say Carlton gets right when it comes to looking back for answers.

6. WEST COAST EAGLES
A MASSIVE improvement from their previous logo. I hated their long one. I couldn't fit it in any of my season overview projects for my clubs board. The colour scheme was also ugly. Love the simplicity of this logo. Cleaner, easier to read, proper use of the colours.

7. COLLINGWOOD
I wouldn't rate it as high as most, but it is most certainly up there with the best. They too have upgraded. I'm never usually a fan of the wheat or whatever it is, but it really works here. Love the stripes in the background. They stuck with the iconic magpie which is fantastic. The year of establishment fits nicely. And a simple 'Collingwood' is all that's needed below. Most importantly, I love that they removed the Australian flag. I absolutely detested their use of it, and have always questioned why they had the privelege to use it over everyone else. The blue and red too took a lot of attention away from the magpie.

8. FREMANTLE DOCKERS
I prefer the earlier version in the box, but I understand their want to include the year of establishment. Just not a fan of teams using colours which do not associate with them. Like the anchor threaded through the 'D'. Very clever. And I am still happy they have simplified their look to just purple and white. The red and green while historical, made them look all over the place. The combination just did not work well.

9. GEELONG CATS
Not much I can say about it, but I do approve. It is neat-looking. Has 'Geelong Cats' and I like the blending of the cats face with the stripes. Better than their older 'GFC' logo, that's for sure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (here is the divide)

10. HAWTHORN
Another average looking logo. Nothing special. I guess the hawk is alright. That and they too go hard with the name "Hawks" and stick to their colours. But my goodness, I do utterly despise the colour combination of brown and gold. Downright hideous and the worst of all the teams. Whoever came up with this should have been fired immediately.

11. MELBOURNE DEMONS
In this day and age, only Carlton can get away with a monogram. I understand there is history to this club (being the oldest one and all), but they are nicknamed the "demons". What is hellish about this logo? Looks like something for an American cafe.

12. BRISBANE LIONS
It's just a lions head. Probably give them a bit of credit for making it look somewhat mean, but that is just about it. Nothing much else to say. Not bad. Just meh! If anything, their older logos had more energy to them.

13. ST. KILDA
BRING BACK THE STICK FIGURE!!! Jokes aside, this is another one that looks sort of outdated. Slightly more tolerable than Essendon. However, I find it too soccer-like. Doesn't really scream footy to me.

14. ADELAIDE CROWS
The only thing I like about their latest logo when compared to their previous one is the font. The crow itself is horrid. I don't know why, but I get uncomfortable every time I look at it.

15. ESSENDON
Old and outdated. Needs a touch-up. Besides, I am not a fan of them using grey as it is not officially one of their team colours.

16. PORT ADELAIDE
Supposedly it is a one off for this year like both Carlton and Collingwood did for their anniversaries of establishment. But if not, it is a step back. While I did prefer something new, this is not what I had in mind. Too similar to Fremantle. Nothing "powerful" about it. A celebratory year so I'll let it slide. But they cannot last with it. This history cannot be repeated.

17. GWS GIANTS
Boring! Just an orange thing that is supposed to be a 'G', but looks barely like it. Weak correlation to the name "giants". Needs a significant touch up so it can stick out. More of the other team colours (white and charcoal grey) as well.

18. GOLD COAST SUNS
Never really liked this one. Don't like the GC. Don't like the name suns. Don't that they give themselves the colour blue, but there is bugger all use of it. There is no life in this logo. Looks like it is still a draft.
Upon reflection I agree about the essendon logo. Even the term 'bombers' is incredibly outdated and potentially controversial, I wouldn't be surprised if the PC Police grab a hold the Bombers and they start promoting themselves as the Essendon Football Club more.

I'm a bit fan of Melbourne and North Melbourne's 90s logos images.jpeg-7.jpg images.jpeg-8.jpg

1. Collingwood - seems a few agree
2. Sydney - great logo, seems a few agree
3. Essendon - I like it, maybe an unpopular opinion but it looks good imo.
4. West Coast - very nice logo

next batch of logos i would consider good: Hawks, Tigers, Cats, Dockers
then the 'meh' logos: Dogs, Blues, Power, demons, north, Giants

Bottom 4:
15. St Kilda - boring and ugly
16. Suns - very bad
17. Lions - really bad not sure why they changed, their logo from 2004 was top 5 in my opinion (probably would need to be modernised a bit now). At least they still have nice guernseys with the proper lion.
18. Crows - the worst and another team that should have kept their old 2004 logo which was actually good and the best in the league. From best to worst.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back