My Top 50 - 2012 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: My Top 50 - 2012 Draft

Troy Menzel is probably more of an outside midfielder/half forward. I imagine most of his football will be played up on a wing this year, while next year he'll start out in the forward half. Much like his brother, or Steele Sidebottom.

Josh Simpson, I liken to Carlton's Chris Yarran. Has played a lot of football in the forward half, but would be just as adept in the back line or running through the midfield.

As for Port Adelaide, they'll have a lot of options. Before this season started, it seemed Brodie Grundy was already pencilled in for them. Would still be hard to pass on a home grown ruckman like him, regardless of Redden's development. Otherwise, I'd look seriously at Mayes and Kennedy - get some real goal scoring ability into that midfield. Because who doesn't want that? And as you said, others to look out for would be Vlastuin and Atkins, as well as Wines and Pongracic. All just depends on where Port finish this season (impartiality aside, I hope it's low :p).

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind seeing Port take a crack at a minidraft pick. Dunstan is as good as any ball winner in this draft.

Chris, where do you rate someone like Marco Paparone from East Fremantle?

193/4 cm forward. Has been kicking quite a few goals for Easts whilst also playing further up the ground (CHF). Played state 16´s for WA.

Yeah, not one I've seen a lot of yet. He played a handful of games last year, but his performances as an underaged player weren't all that note worthy. Has started the season off well, and looks to have had a good game tonight.

Must be around the 194cm mark now. So add him onto the list of potentially good KPPs from WA this season. Hopefully we see more like McInnes, and less like Hamp.

ild love for port to pick up a genuine star in the mini-draft but without a compo pick it would be very very hard. lots of teams could beat our offer of what will likely be a late top ten pick + fringe 22 player. so yeah ild be surprised if they would even return our calls. melbourne who will have 3 picks in the top 15 look the most likely if they decide martin/ dunstan are better than who they would nab with one of their early picks.

i think grundy is super but port have shown that they have faith in our young rucks and ild be surprised if we went for him, besides i think melbourne would be eyeing one of mcbean/ grundy for sure.

i think primus in the last few years has identified what most fans would agree of, that port lacks midfield polish that can run to an elite level both ways. i think that will be a huge focus of our drafting.

who would fit that description??

on that list so many of the sa boys will be running around regularly against men in league this year.

toumpas, mayes, kennedy and irra have already played great games last year, mackay has already played league this year hasnt he?? ild expect some more to step up against men as the season goes on.

One of the underage WA players from last year, Riley Hutchinson, looked pretty good in the televised match between them and SA last year. Do you think he will go?

Chris, what do you reckon about this crop of boys from WA

Paparone (seen what you have up the page), Howson, Marsh, Green, Verrier, McIntosh, Morris, Wilkins, Simpson (top 5?), Shaw, Hutchinson.

That game against SA was probably Hutchinson's best one. He picked a good time to do it too, what with the cameras being there.

He's one of those players that I wish was a touch taller. During the Championships last year, he was 187cm. It would be nice if he was to measure around the 190cm mark this year. Because if last year is anything to go by, he will likely be asked to play more as a lockdown defender again. He doesn't really have the same attacking side to his game that a Bootsma or Forster had last year either.

I think he'll get drafted. Just maybe in the second half of the draft.

As for Vlastuin, I have him in the 10-20 range so he is at the bottom of his range, so to speak. Could just as easily have put him at #10. But it's not simply a case of him lacking line breaking speed, so he automatically doesn't have a high ceiling. There are just some other players that I like more and think could be the better players in the long run. He could go the way of Tyson/Conca and be a top 5 pick, or be more of an Adams/Sheridan/Kerridge.
Please slide to Carlton's pick and be worth it. :)

Andy McKay said we are after mids to complement the big men we've recruited in the last few years.

Need to start planning for Carlton post-Judd.

Chris, what do you reckon about this crop of boys from WA

Paparone (seen what you have up the page), Howson, Marsh, Green, Verrier, McIntosh, Morris, Wilkins, Simpson (top 5?), Shaw, Hutchinson.

Obviously I'm a fan of Mason Shaw, Josh Simpson, Laine Wilkins and Kamdyn McIntosh. And I wrote about Marco Paparone and Riley Hutchinson before.

Of those you listed there, Brendan Verrier is one I expect will be looked at through the middle of the draft. Good, attacking ball winner in the middle. I'd love to see him become a goal a game player, just add that side to his game.

Alex Howson is one who looks like he might step it up this year. Showed a bit of promise last year up forward, obviously has been hitting the scoreboard more regularly this season though. Less time he spends in the ruck, the better he'll be.

Harrison Marsh and Corey Morris I haven't really seen a lot of yet. I know Morris has some supporters though.

Hey Chris,
Any idea about Harry Czarnecki from Dandenong. Big Defender

Cheers

At the moment, my knowledge of Victorians only really extends to the top guys. But the longer the season goes on, the better it'll hopefully get. Pretty much all I know is that Czarnecki is 189cm and 83kg.

I'll keep an eye out for him though.

What do you think of Viney. You have him at 8. Others have him top 5. Is he a bit small. Thanks.
Further to that, if we do finish 2nd or 3rd last, will GWS & GC bid there 1st/2nd pick on Viney? Or in your opinion would we call there bluff?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Further to that, if we do finish 2nd or 3rd last, will GWS & GC bid there 1st/2nd pick on Viney? Or in your opinion would we call there bluff?

There cannot be any bluffing. Cos if either GC or GWS were to put in a bid and we said no, they then have to draft Viney. All we need to do is sit back and either do nothing and get him for a 2nd rounder, or choose whether or not we want to give up pick 3 for him. I would.

Maybe we should do a WA shifty and not have him play too many games, allowing for a few more to overleap him in the minds of recruiters.

What do you think of Viney. You have him at 8. Others have him top 5. Is he a bit small. Thanks.

Viney is an interesting one. Don't think anyone will doubt his ability, there is a reason Melbourne have committed to him and want him playing VFL rather than TAC Cup this year. I saw a bit of him as a kid a few years ago now, and that talent always shone through.

He is a little small for my liking though. Not sure if he is 180cm or not? He doesn't play like he is small, and really that is what counts. But my personal preference tends to lean towards the bigger body midfielders in the first round, particularly when you're talking top 5. And well, I've always been a sucker for style over substance too. :p

Having a shocker season could really work to Melbourne's advantage (again). Hard to say if a GWS or GC would force Melbourne to take Viney or not. Finishing so low, could just be enough to sneak him through to the second round.

Please slide to Carlton's pick and be worth it. :)

Andy McKay said we are after mids to complement the big men we've recruited in the last few years.

Need to start planning for Carlton post-Judd.

He would be and awesome steal if we managed to get him. Cant see us getting him though. Personally, i think Vlastuin will got between 5-15

I wouldn't get too worried about Daniher being at #11. It's still pretty high. And it'll probably be the lowest I have him this year.

As for perhaps not getting a bargain, that's not necessarily the case. If a team picking higher than Essendon nominated their first rounder (which is almost guaranteed) then it becomes a bargain.
I know it is early in the year but have you dropped him down to 11 mainly due to him having missed all of last year or you rate him as that type of prospect currently?

Ideally am hoping that Daniher has a stellar year making himself worthy of a pick between 1-5. Unsure exactly how many compensation picks are activated this draft (Dogs, Crows, Richmond, Dees *2 picks?) so assuming Essendon finishes 7-8th and we finish above all those teams bar Adelaide perhaps, we would have a first rounder around pick 14. Getting a potential top 5 pick around pick 14 would be a steal.

Edit: Note that 5 clubs in fact have activated their compo picks this year (Melbourne *2, Richmond, Bulldogs, GWS, Brisbane) so expecting Essendon to finish above all these 6 clubs means we could have a first rounder closer to pick 18.

Chris,
Thanks for the impressive coverage so early in the year. I admit freely I haven't seen half of these blokes as yet, but I will look out for them with interest.

For your information:
Jake Stringer (Bendigo) probably won't be going top 10 this year. It isn't that is a bad player: quite the opposite. However, he hasn't recovered from the serious leg issues he sustained last year. He still walks with a limp and isn't being able to show anything on the footy field.
He hasn't been picked by the Pios yet this year and it may be some tme before he is.
I know one of his mates, who suggests he may not be back playing as he can this season, depending on how his rehab goes. I gather that it has not gone as was hoped, as he was supposed to be back in full training by now.
I think some club may select him, based on what he showed before he was injured, but he has now become a very speculative quantity indeed.

Chris,
Thanks for the impressive coverage so early in the year. I admit freely I haven't seen half of these blokes as yet, but I will look out for them with interest.

For your information:
Jake Stringer (Bendigo) probably won't be going top 10 this year. It isn't that is a bad player: quite the opposite. However, he hasn't recovered from the serious leg issues he sustained last year. He still walks with a limp and isn't being able to show anything on the footy field.
He hasn't been picked by the Pios yet this year and it may be some tme before he is.
I know one of his mates, who suggests he may not be back playing as he can this season, depending on how his rehab goes. I gather that it has not gone as was hoped, as he was supposed to be back in full training by now.
I think some club may select him, based on what he showed before he was injured, but he has now become a very speculative quantity indeed.

im pretty sure he hasnt been playing for bendigo because he has been busy getting the MVP award for the ais against europe. Seems to be a monty to go top 5 for me

im pretty sure he hasnt been playing for bendigo because he has been busy getting the MVP award for the ais against europe

Yeah, this. Certain top 5, I would say.

I'll start with Moller. I really like him, and long term I think he'll be better than Jarrod Witts. But he is exactly that - a long term prospect. Assuming he did come to Fremantle next season, there is no guarantee of him playing WAFL seniors in his first year at all. So while I like him, I've been tempering my expectations a bit.

Collingwood could easily be forced to take James Stewart with their first round pick, but at the moment I'd have him in the second - which Collingwood fans should be happy about. He has had his injury problems and his endurance could probably use a bit of work. I see him more as that leading CHF, rather than a stay at home FF, so his tank is going to need to be elite. This far out from the draft, and talls are never rated quite as highly as midfielders anyway.

I would agree Moller was probably better placed this time last year but Witts went passed him pretty well by years end.

Re Stewart - think you are correct. Am not convinced Stewart is a Rd 1. His testing will be important. Suspect Pies are already on top of it though.

Chris,

For your information:
Stringer will be fine, he trained lightly in Bendigo prior to going to Europe, has lost a little speed but thats to be expected.

However, expect him to tear some KP players a new one when he returns to TAC Cup action, he's itching to get back amongst it.

Great Post Chris25, the Yarran you refered to is he any relation to the Chris yarran at Carlton? Also do you know anything about Greg Diesel Williams son at the Calder cannons? Is he any chance of making the grade and will Carlton use a father son pick on him? Thanks Chris25, JnB..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back