My Top 50 - 2012 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: My Top 50 - 2012 Draft

Who are the quality Indigenous players going into this draft? I wouldn't mind the Tiges taking a Indigenous mid with our first pick this year, a bit of spark and pace!!

Who are the quality Indigenous players going into this draft? I wouldn't mind the Tiges taking a Indigenous mid with our first pick this year, a bit of spark and pace!!

Well, in my list I have - Josh Simpson, Shannon Taylor, Dayle Garlett, Jed Anderson, Chris Yarran and Braedon McLean. Take your pick I guess. Not sure I'd necessarily go for one in the first round, not quite yet at least. I'd go for Shannon Taylor in the second round if I were Richmond.

As for Dayle Garlett, I don't know the full details of his off field issues. But it doesn't seem like it is any different to any other kid - just has some bad influences around him. Being left out of the AIS Squad to travel Europe was a blow, but a good season (which he is having) and proving he is past all that stuff, and he shouldn't drop too far.

Great Post Chris25, the Yarran you refered to is he any relation to the Chris yarran at Carlton? Also do you know anything about Greg Diesel Williams son at the Calder cannons? Is he any chance of making the grade and will Carlton use a father son pick on him? Thanks Chris25, JnB..

No relation between the Yarran's.

Charly Williams isn't draft eligible until next season. Hopefully he has a bit more growing to do over the next 18 months, because he measured in at just 169cm this year. Don't know a great deal about him though.

Carlton do have Jordan Madden who is a F/S option this year, but I wouldn't think he'll be a factor. At just 172cm, I think it's safe to say he didn't get his father's height.

Well, in my list I have - Josh Simpson, Shannon Taylor, Dayle Garlett, Jed Anderson, Chris Yarran and Braedon McLean. Take your pick I guess. Not sure I'd necessarily go for one in the first round, not quite yet at least. I'd go for Shannon Taylor in the second round if I were Richmond.

As for Dayle Garlett, I don't know the full details of his off field issues. But it doesn't seem like it is any different to any other kid - just has some bad influences around him. Being left out of the AIS Squad to travel Europe was a blow, but a good season (which he is having) and proving he is past all that stuff, and he shouldn't drop too far.

Thanks mate !!!

Swan Districts have recalled premiership player Ashley Hansen for his first match of the season but suspended lively midfielder Dayle Garlett for two weeks for disciplinary reasons.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/13488082/tigers-bag-of-tricks/

Perhaps consider Michael Walters if he cant get get a regular gig at Freo:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/13202721/docker-walters-shines-for-swans/
He was Yarran & NicNats neighbour before they were all drafted.

Swan Districts have recalled premiership player Ashley Hansen for his first match of the season but suspended lively midfielder Dayle Garlett for two weeks for disciplinary reasons.

That was mentioned in the WA draft prospects thread. While I'm not 100% certain of the circumstances, from what I've heard it sounds like a discipline problem - not something destructive. Hopefully this will be the final time though.

Any opinion on Jets fullback Harley Walshe?

Keep an eye out if you don't know anything about him.

I'll keep an eye out.

I'm still getting my head around all the Victorian players, it's mainly the big names I know at this stage. And defenders are always the last to put their names up. There are a few key defenders around the country that I'm looking out for, Walshe can be another.

mate good call on McLean. Played some v good footy last year and is highly rated by the boys up north.

A lot of players get overrated by the boys up north in an attempt to get them drafted. After a good Under 18 carnival Braedon was average in his limited NTFL games last year then went back to the Under 18s to qualify for finals and was no standout there either.

Will need a big carnival this year and needs to work on his speed and endurance , attack the ball harder and not just rely on his good footy skills.

Adelaide might trade Tambling back if the price is right.

Chris your list is exceptional. Great job.
What do you think of Kristian Jaksch from the Oakleigh Chargers? Didn't make the top 50?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jaksch is one of those key defenders that I spoke of earlier. There are a few that I'll be keeping an eye on. Jaksch could well be one who goes ahead of someone like Aidan Corr (who I did include) - big guy, can also play forward and ball use is pretty good for someone his size.

A few of his Oakleigh teammates could also go quite well, despite me not naming them - Jackson Macrae and Chris Prowse in particular.

so it seems whitfield, toumpas and viney are the top midfielders at this stage. vlastin seems next by concensus.

who are the next group of pure mids ( not flankers) that can sneak into the top ten picks. is there a massive gap between toumpas, whitfield and the next group????

Stringer without a doubt.

Right now, the one I would have right up there is Oliver Wines. After seeing him play live, he has really jumped up my rankings. Does a lot more than you can see on film. I wouldn't hesitate to have him up high.

Simpson, Haynes, Kennedy and O'Rourke would be others. Although they might not be right up there yet, for injury reasons or due to playing other roles.

I don't think the gap is any bigger than in previous years. You've got Whitfield, Stringer and Viney at the top, and then Toumpas at the next level. Probably comparable to 2010 when it was Swallow and Bennell at the top, and then the likes of Gaff, Polec, Caddy and Heppell being that next step down.

A few of his Oakleigh teammates could also go quite well, despite me not naming them - Jackson Macrae and Chris Prowse in particular.

Chris do you honestly think Prowse can get drafted? He's really stepped up from last year from what I've seen of him, really built on his endurance and his footskills are really neat too.

Hey Chris25, can you list your respective Top 20 for Ruckman, Key Position Forwards, Key Position Backs, Midfielders & Small Forwards? I will ask Knightmare to do the same and compare!!

You obviously don't rate the Gippsland Power program ,sitting undefeated at the top of the table with sandringham yet you can only fit one of their players into your top 50.You don't have a season like they're having with a team of undraftable hacks.

I think you might be reading too much into it. I'm not trying to make statements about the different programs, it's just that when I made the list (a month ago) I hadn't seen a lot of the Gippsland boys.

Tim Membrey is the obvious one, what with being involved in the AFL/AIS Academy. Although he is a tad short for my liking, his form has been impressive and he should be up there. And I would hardly classify Tom Muir, Josh Scott, Nicholas Graham and Ryley Hall as 'undraftable hacks'.

One thing I think Gippsland have done well is their overage players - Simon Deery, Jack Johnstone and Anthony Tipungwuti. Deery and Johnstone in particular are looking good this year.

While they do also have quite a few underage players, not eligible for the draft this year.

Hey Chris 25 what are your thoughts on Luke Reynolds and Luke Dunstan as mini draft prospects? Do you think Reynolds will develop into more of a key forward?

When I have a bit more time, I'll look at it. But don't expect a top 20 for each position, you'd be lucky to get a top 5 in regards to ruckmen for example.

I'd be interesting in a top five of KPFs. :D

With the Lions having a pick early to mid top 10 there's a debate on our board about KPFs versus midfielders. From what I understand, there's quite a few stand out midfielders but very few KPFs. Are there any likely to be draftable around the 3-8 pick area?

I think you might be reading too much into it. I'm not trying to make statements about the different programs, it's just that when I made the list (a month ago) I hadn't seen a lot of the Gippsland boys.

Tim Membrey is the obvious one, what with being involved in the AFL/AIS Academy. Although he is a tad short for my liking, his form has been impressive and he should be up there. And I would hardly classify Tom Muir, Josh Scott, Nicholas Graham and Ryley Hall as 'undraftable hacks'.

One thing I think Gippsland have done well is their overage players - Simon Deery, Jack Johnstone and Anthony Tipungwuti. Deery and Johnstone in particular are looking good this year.

While they do also have quite a few underage players, not eligible for the draft this year.
Fair enough ,interesting opinion on Membrey i have made comments about him along similar lines in other posts.They keep mentioning him as a KPF but at 188cm it is probably a bit short to be a legitmate contender to be drafted for that spot.Hopefully he will be looked at for his pure football ability and smarts.Truth be known Gippy Power might want to look at perhaps playing him either in the midfield or across HB to give him a chance to show AFL clubs that he isn't a one trick pony.He is one of the best junior prospects i have seen around this part of the country for a number of years so hopefully someone will pick him up come draft time .Even Scott Pendlebury wasn't as impressive as what Membrey has been the last couple of years.As for the others ,i have heard that Tom Muir has already been signed up by a manager whether that means anything or not.They have a number of smallish midfielders (Cashman ,Hams and Lange) who have been doing the job for them this year as well but none of these guys have really what you could call elite legspeed which would go against them .Their No 1 ruckman -Jack Leslie stands at 197cm and is bottom age so he is one to watch in the future.His form has been that impressive that he is keeping a couple of the more fancied top agers from getting a game each week.

Chris do you honestly think Prowse can get drafted? He's really stepped up from last year from what I've seen of him, really built on his endurance and his footskills are really neat too.

It's not a great draft for ruckmen. After Grundy and McBean there just isn't much there. The same thing happened last year, but it seems that most of the ruckmen playing in the underage scene are around that 195cm mark. While this works in U18 football, it just doesn't fit the current AFL style.

Take SA for example, after Grundy our backup ruckmen in the Championships will likely be Kaiden Brand (195cm) and Tim O'Brien (191cm). Or in the TAC Cup, Cameron Conlon is a good young KPF prospect but keeps getting thrown into the ruck simply because he is tall.

So someone like Prowse, who is an actual ruckman, is the type of player who'll benefit. He has improved since last year. Might not be an early pick, but considering what is out there, he should at least be a late pick.

With the Lions having a pick early to mid top 10 there's a debate on our board about KPFs versus midfielders. From what I understand, there's quite a few stand out midfielders but very few KPFs. Are there any likely to be draftable around the 3-8 pick area?

Jake Stringer could be the interesting one. I tend to think of him a midfield version of Pavlich, so he could definitely be an option up forward. Might not be exactly what Brisbane need from a forward, but could be the best available at your pick.

Mason Shaw would probably be the first KPF picked at this stage, him and Daniher would be the standouts. After that, nobody has really stepped up quite yet. But last year, Tomlinson was around the 15-30 range until the month leading up to the draft. And then he went top 10, so there will be others who step up.

Paparone and Howson could help themselves with a good U18 Championships. From SA, Murdoch probably wont go any higher than the second round. Middleton might be around that range, while Luccon might go late.

But yeah, the Championships will clear things up a lot in terms of KPPs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back