My Top 50 - 2012 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: My Top 50 - 2012 Draft

Unfortunately, yes. Would certainly make things interesting otherwise.

I'm still on the Jack Martin bandwagon for the mini draft though. But I reckon the two WA kids have a real shot at being the two who get picked.

Hey Chris25, can you list your respective Top 20 for Ruckman, Key Position Forwards, Key Position Backs, Midfielders & Small Forwards? I will ask Knightmare to do the same and compare!!

I'll just throw out a few names, although I always hate trying to rank players. No doubt this will dramatically change in a couple of months after the Championships.

Ruckmen

1. Brodie Grundy
2. Liam McBean
3. Craig Moller
4. Chris Prowse

Smokies: Kaiden Brand, Ethan Gill and Warwick McGinty.

The gap between the top two is pretty large. I'm sure a couple of other guys will step up between now and the draft, but at this stage I have Prowse at #4 and I wouldn't expect him to be taken until late in the rookie draft. The fact that the #1 ruck for WA this year will be an underaged kid doesn't help things much.

As for the smokies, Brand and Gill are 195cm and 194cm respectively. So it would be a case of taking them and developing them into a KPP/ruckman. While McGinty is a 22 year old who has slowly been developing in the SANFL.

Key Forwards

1. Joe Daniher
2. Mason Shaw
3. Jake Stringer
4. Marco Paparone
5. Tim Membrey
6. Spencer White
7. Mason Middleton

Smokey: Brant Colledge

Similar to the ruckmen, there is a big gap between the top level talent and the next bunch. And this is highlighted by the fact that I included Stringer and Membrey in this list, as they are both 'undersized' and just as adept playing through the midfield. White is very much a 'potential' pick, while I didn't really want to put in Paparone and Middleton as I'd much rather wait for the Championships before making a call there. But oh well, they're in now.

Key Defenders

1. Tanner Smith
2. Clay Cameron
3. Lachlan Plowman
4. Aidan Corr
5. Kamdyn McIntosh
6. Chase Bower
7. Kristian Jaksch

Smokies: Sean Gregory and Matt Wallis

A few solid players in Smith, Corr and Jaksch, a couple of more medium sized players in Plowman and Bower, plus a couple of defenders/forwards in Cameron and McIntosh. It's a mixed bunch.

Gregory is one I'll be trying to keep an eye on. Tall and athletic Calder defender, he hasn't played a heap of games in the TAC Cup but there are promising signs there.

Midfielders

1. Lachie Whitfield
2. Jake Stringer
3. Jimmy Toumpas
4. Jack Viney
5. Josh Simpson
6. Nick Vlastuin
7. Sam Mayes
8. Jonathan O'Rourke
9. Shannon Taylor
10. Ben Kennedy
11. Oliver Wines
12. Troy Menzel

Smokies: Matthew Haynes, Laine Wilkins, Oliver Johnson, Jackson Macrae, Matthew McDonough and Emmanuel Irra.

The top few are as good as any other year, plus there is also some decent depth this draft. Any number of players could have filled up the 7-12 spots. Will be good to see which players solidify their spots in the Championships, and which ones start to really climb the rankings.

Some of the smokies could have been in the 12, but they'll need to play well in the Championships. They are talented though.

Smokies: Sean Gregory and Matt Wallis

Gregory is one I'll be trying to keep an eye on. Tall and athletic Calder defender, he hasn't played a heap of games in the TAC Cup but there are promising signs there.

I used to be very close with Gregory a couple of years ago, and he was concentrating primarily on tennis. Made it to the top level of juniors and was working his way up the senior ranks nicely.

He has wonderful coordination and agility for a big man, also a top person. If one of the VIC clubs are smart, he'll be a super rookie pick. Has the agility and coordination of a midfielder. Just needs to put on a heap of size and he'll be right up there. Maybe turn into a Mackie/Birchall type player if he commits, which it sounds like he is. Hopefully he can string a few top performances together for Calder soon.

Be curious to know if Freo will be able to recruit the tall's they need to Chris. You make it sound like there may not be many good tall options around our picks, especially forwards.

Unfortunately, yes. Would certainly make things interesting otherwise.

I'm still on the Jack Martin bandwagon for the mini draft though. But I reckon the two WA kids have a real shot at being the two who get picked.

Could you give us a run down on Jesse Hogan? cant really find any info on him if he is making a rise past Martin in the U17?

The Championships will hopefully bring out the KPFs. Because at the moment, the top line talent is a bit thin. If you look through the squads...

Vic Country - best forward is arguably Jake Stringer, but really he is a midfielder. Otherwise you have Tim Membrey, Josh Scott and Mason Wood - listed as 188cm, 190cm and 190cm respectively.

Vic Metro - best forwards are Joe Daniher (Essendon F/S) and the two underaged kids in Cam Conlon and Tom Boyd. The rest of their talls are defenders or ruckmen.

South Australia - no real standouts. Brodie Murdoch is only just 190cm on his best day, while the others have yet to really shine or are similar undersized (Tom Schott for example). Someone like a Darcy Hourigan (who is underaged) could end up playing out of the square instead of a draft eligible player. Otherwise it's the likes of Brand and Luccon, who tend to run through the ruck and haven't performed all that strongly as genuine KPFs.

Western Australia - probably where most of the interest will be. Outside of Mason Shaw who is looking to be the best in the country, they have Marco Paparone and Alex Howson. If one of them can step up and perform in the Championships, then they could go a long way to being that next KPF taken after Shaw.

Queensland - other than WA, Queensland could be the ticket. Clay Cameron has played down back, but can go forward and he could be the one who comes out strongly and demands an early selection.

For Fremantle, I'd be looking at two things - a slightly older player like a Jackson Coleman, and someone like Tim Membrey. He might not have the height we need, but he is closer to a Jack Darling than Chris Mayne in terms of playing style. So he would bring a different dimension.

But yeah, still plenty of time for the KPFs to shine. And no doubt there will be more pressing their stakes as the season goes on. So no need to worry yet.

hey what do you think of mackenzie morgan? was a captain of the state 16s from memory from claremont, played at full back, played all colts games last year for claremont until he tore his ACL in july. i think hes coming back soon and is a seriously good utility that will surely be looked at. one to keep an eye out for ?

Haven't seen this bloke perform well at any level he's played at this season. Whether it be reserves, under 18s or in the trial against the state side last week. Looks to lack a lot of fitness at the moment does "plugger".

In terms of fitness, I think McDonough will always look like he is lacking in that department. Doesn't mean it is necessarily true. He just has that look about him. He's probably a bit like Clancee Pearce, deceptively fit.

And as for form, his last few games in the SANFL U18s were quite good. In the absence of some other guys, he got more of a run through the midfield and showed he could win his own ball. Hopefully he gets a chance to do the same in the Championships, although there is real competition for spots in the SA midfield.

Could you give us a run down on Jesse Hogan? cant really find any info on him if he is making a rise past Martin in the U17?

Hogan is quite similar to Michael Hurley, potentially a bit better. Should be developed as a forward, but can play down back. While he is underaged, in terms of Colts football he is a bit of a monster. Clearly bigger and stronger than a lot of the competition. He has also put that to good use by rucking, and running through the midfield.

If you were picking on form, than yes Hogan would go before Martin. If you needed a KPP, then again you'd go for Hogan. But Martin is special. And that year as a 17 year old in an AFL system could do wonders for him.

Ultimately, who would you rather, Michael Hurley or Harley Bennell? You can't really go wrong.

The Championships will hopefully bring out the KPFs. Because at the moment, the top line talent is a bit thin. If you look through the squads...

Vic Country - best forward is arguably Jake Stringer, but really he is a midfielder. Otherwise you have Tim Membrey, Josh Scott and Mason Wood - listed as 188cm, 190cm and 190cm respectively.

Vic Metro - best forwards are Joe Daniher (Essendon F/S) and the two underaged kids in Cam Conlon and Tom Boyd. The rest of their talls are defenders or ruckmen.

South Australia - no real standouts. Brodie Murdoch is only just 190cm on his best day, while the others have yet to really shine or are similar undersized (Tom Schott for example). Someone like a Darcy Hourigan (who is underaged) could end up playing out of the square instead of a draft eligible player. Otherwise it's the likes of Brand and Luccon, who tend to run through the ruck and haven't performed all that strongly as genuine KPFs.

Western Australia - probably where most of the interest will be. Outside of Mason Shaw who is looking to be the best in the country, they have Marco Paparone and Alex Howson. If one of them can step up and perform in the Championships, then they could go a long way to being that next KPF taken after Shaw.

Queensland - other than WA, Queensland could be the ticket. Clay Cameron has played down back, but can go forward and he could be the one who comes out strongly and demands an early selection.

For Fremantle, I'd be looking at two things - a slightly older player like a Jackson Coleman, and someone like Tim Membrey. He might not have the height we need, but he is closer to a Jack Darling than Chris Mayne in terms of playing style. So he would bring a different dimension.

But yeah, still plenty of time for the KPFs to shine. And no doubt there will be more pressing their stakes as the season goes on. So no need to worry yet.

Good summation

hey what do you think of mackenzie morgan? was a captain of the state 16s from memory from claremont, played at full back, played all colts games last year for claremont until he tore his ACL in july. i think hes coming back soon and is a seriously good utility that will surely be looked at. one to keep an eye out for ?

I vaguely recall the name, but probably wouldn't have paid all that much attention to an underaged defender last year. Guess the key will be how well he returns in the second half of this year, and also his height. Not sure if he'd be over 190cm? Will be quite a few similar players fighting over spots this year.

Trying to get a read or opinion on Paparone. Which current AFL forward reminds them of Paparone?

It seems like most people, I'm still trying to get a proper read on Paparone. How he goes in the WA forward line and against better competition will help clear things up a lot.

But you'd probably be looking at the more lead up/hard running CHF types. Best case would be a Nick Riewoldt, otherwise a Jack Watts/Jarrad Grant. Although Paparone probably has the body type and size that would allow him to play deeper, unlike some of the skinnier CHFs of recent years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I vaguely recall the name, but probably wouldn't have paid all that much attention to an underaged defender last year. Guess the key will be how well he returns in the second half of this year, and also his height. Not sure if he'd be over 190cm? Will be quite a few similar players fighting over spots this year.

It seems like most people, I'm still trying to get a proper read on Paparone. How he goes in the WA forward line and against better competition will help clear things up a lot.

But you'd probably be looking at the more lead up/hard running CHF types. Best case would be a Nick Riewoldt, otherwise a Jack Watts/Jarrad Grant. Although Paparone probably has the body type and size that would allow him to play deeper, unlike some of the skinnier CHFs of recent years.

Cheers Chris. Maybe a (swans) Sam Reid type.

Hey Chris do you know much about Brian Coleman-Broome he is from QLD if you do where do you see him going in the draft?

chris25, he is 190 on the dot i'm pretty sure but i believe he is best suited to being a forward, i saw him tear some games apart at 16s development.

Cheers for the info Chris.

The Qld forward group is going to be interesting and could do very nicely but I am not sure many of them are going to be available.

I would be shocked if GC don't take Cameron as a priority so I am not getting my hopes up with him. Bourke is another who it will be good to have a look at but again he is available to Geelong as a father/son as well as GC. Tickner is a bottom ager who can play at both ends and who is a member of the Lions academy. He probably plays in defence this year but he is a very capable forward.

Jono Freeman is a very nice size at 196cm and he can kick goals and take a nice mark. I think the Lions are keeping an eye on him if GC don't snaffle him up. Jordan Bain as an overager could do alright but the roughie who I hope gets a go is Aliir Aliir. Very athletic Sudenese kid who has played a fair bit of ruck but can also kick goals. I reckon he could trouble a lot of defenders at junior level.

Hopefully Qld plays better this year and the forwards get a chance to shine. The Scorpions have been huge disappointments for the last 4 or 5 years despite consisently winning the U16 Div 2 title. Hopefully they turn things around this year.

Yeah, that's the problem with Queensland. Any good players will be zone selections (or F/S picks), so they don't get the attention on a broader scale that other teams do. Like Clay Cameron would be one of the best KPPs and I agree there is no way Gold Coast pass on him.

Guess its good for the two Queensland teams, but it's disappointing in the grand scheme of things.

With Clay Cameron pretty sure his is going to the Suns as a QLD zone selection. The Suns had him done on the Gold Coast before the seasonn started playing in their pratice game.

Hey Chris do you know much about Brian Coleman-Broome he is from QLD if you do where do you see him going in the draft?

Don't know a lot about him to be honest. I've heard only good things about him, although I haven't had a chance to see him actually play. I believe he was part of the AFL/AIS Academy at one stage, and is quite talented and quick. He'll be one I'm watching during the Championships.

I think Harrison Marsh will sneak his way up the draft lists by the end of the year.

Very natural clearance midfielder with a big frame, neat footskills and great hands in traffic.

He reminds me alot of Scott Thompson from the crows, the physicality he brings to the contest and his ability to stand up in tackles and dish out clean ball to his link men is exceptional.

Has a very powerful core.

Will impress in the next month or so.

Oh, I'm sure Harry Marsh will get a bit more attention as the season goes on. I love nothing more than a tall midfielder, and I do like Marsh. Him and Laine Wilkins are probably two my favourites.

Although Marsh hasn't really made the most of his size yet I feel, but he generally looks good with whatever he does as you said. He should have a real chance during the Championships to impress, getting the ball out to the fast outside guys.

There are a few guys like Marsh, Shaq McKenzie, Marco Paparone and Marvin Warrell who I've held off on so far. Want to avoid overhyping players too early on.

But i do think those you have listed have enough AFL quality to get drafted, as should Sam Lowrie.

Harry Marsh is very draftable and AS211 described him perfectly, get him on an AFL list and he should develop into a pretty good footballer. Doesn't leave anything on the field and he doesn't look like the type that fails with application off field.

hey whats been happening with Dobosz? made alot of noise pre draft last year but have not heard anything about him this year

Re: My Top 50 - 2012 Draft (Dobosz)

hey whats been happening with Dobosz? made alot of noise pre draft last year but have not heard anything about him this year

Unfortunately I do not see Dobosz being a serious contention for a AFL draft or rookie spot at this moment in time.

He kicked 6 the other week in the seniors, however his lack of football exposure (only been playing 3 years) is highlighted when he plays against good opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back