My work experience 'experience'

Remove this Banner Ad

hawkfan5

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2000
Ausdoc Oval
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Well I am starting work experience tomorrow at the Hawthorn F.C and I just thought that I would update you each day on what it is like and the experiences I was able to participate in over the week period, I will update this every day as I go through my work experience like a diary and I hope that you are able to get a good overview of what work experience is like as you may want to do it at the club in the future or allow your children to have the chance of working there.....

DAY 1

Well day one was pretty interesting. Arrived at 9:00 and was introduced around by my supervisor Liz, was able to meet David Parkin which was good and had a little chat with him. After that I was introduced to Brett in the merchandise store and spent the day there doing various tasks like sending out mail orders and things like that. Some would find it boring, but just the experience of being in the Hawthorn Football Club was quite exciting.

DAY 2

Well started out the day in Merchandise again but at 12:00 I was very pleased to find out that I would be able to spend some time sitting in on interviews with players. I was also told that my interest in journalism was the reason behind this and that in the future I may get an opportunity to write my own report on these interviews, this made me quite excited was I very much enjoyed listening to and writing notes on the interviews with Nick Holland, Bill Nicholls, David Loats and last of all one of my favourite players Daniel Harford. They were all pretty nice guys although they didn't seem that happy with the prospect of having an interview interrupt their busy schedules! :rolleyes:

DAY 3

On this day I worked entirely in the merchandise shop which was without the usual helped. I once again helped to write down things to be sent out to mail orders and generally learnt some new things about working as an assistant in the Hawks Nest Shop. This gave me a really good opportunity to be able to gain some skills in the retail area. The store was very busy which was also good and I was happy to lend a hand when I could

DAY 4

Well today I was given the opportunity to mix with the players a bit when I was required to take down the merchandise to the rooms for the players to sign... after watching them do their stretches for about an hour they were quite willing to sign some jumpers and I was lucky enough to have the two photos I had put there to be signed by Daniel Harford and John Barker actually signed. After this I went back up stairs and dropped off the merchandise, I was then sent to the social club and tried my best to help out the volunteers group in the raffle ticketing contest, the oldish man in there was nice enough to take me over to the Hawks Gallery, and I had a look at the history of Hawthorn, even that wonderful jumper they would in 1995, with the blue background and brown and yellow checkered sections, gee was that terrible, lol. I was able to meet Andy Angwin and Doug Polkinghorne and even talked to Gary Buckenara at one stage.
I got free lunch supplied too, which was a bonus, lol. And then I was able to sit on Geoff Ablett's desk to do some work because Geoff was out for the day. All in all, a pretty good day.

DAY 5

Today I worked with Geoff Ablett in the social club for most of the time, he asked me to do some stuff on the computer and being addicted to computers as I am I didnt refuse, lol. He then wanted me to go over to the rooms to get a footy signed for him by some players, I was able to meet Nathan Lonie, Kris Barlow, Adrian Cox and Tony Woods, they were all pretty nice blokes. After doing some more work for Geoff I went back in the afternoon to help out for the last few hours in the merchandise shop. It was pretty hectic with the owner out at lunch and me and an employee having to attempt to keep up with a large amount of customers and new shipments of t-shirts arriving having to be priced and put away. At the end of the day I realised by time at the Hawthorn Footy Club was over unfortunately, I bought one of the new Hawthorn training singlet, and a shirt and was on my way, thanked Di for having me at the club and said goodbye. Overall a very good experience which I would love to continue, I really enjoyed my time at Hawthorn F.C, everyone was great to me there. I encourage all of you on bigfooty if you get the opportunity to jump at it, you will really enjoy it as I did.

Cheers

Originally posted by hawkfan5
Well I am starting work experience tomorrow at the Hawthorn F.C and I just thought that I would update you each day on what it is like and the experiences I was able to participate in over the week period, I will update this every day as I go through my work experience like a diary and I hope that you are able to get a good overview of what work experience is like as you may want to do it at the club in the future or allow your children to have the chance of working there.....

Try and get a better deal for MCC member's with the club. Gee Hawthorn membership comes in handy

Thanks for the report.....how did you actually go about getting work experience at Hawthorn? I'm there is plenty of people
(including me) that would like to do the same.....also can you work in any specific areas, or just where ever they put you?

thanks!

Originally posted by littlemissmes
Thanks for the report.....how did you actually go about getting work experience at Hawthorn? I'm there is plenty of people
(including me) that would like to do the same.....also can you work in any specific areas, or just where ever they put you?

thanks!

You're basically the clubs bitch. Saw ya today Rob at training, with the old guy watching the boys train.

It would be good to hang around the club for five days, but it depends where they put ya. I remember I had this work experience girl transcribe a whole hour and a half tape of me and Don Mac. Poor girl. :D

Well done Rob.

The Hitman

Originally posted by The Hitman

You're basically the clubs bitch.

Well look they are pretty much meant to be teaching whoever does the work experience a bit about the club and give them the opportunity to be involved in helping the club out for 5 days.

Littlemissmes, well I actually know someone who works there so they asked if I could get it there, then I had to send a letter to show my interest to the club.

They try and move you around a bit to give you a go in different areas.

work experience

Yeah I did work experience almost exactly 12 months ago

The reason I got to the do it there was because I have been on the Hawks Youth Comittee (or whatever name it's been over the years) since it started in 1997 and most of the people on that committee got an oppourtunity to do work experience there when it was their time to do it for school.

It seems as though I probably had a much different week to you in terms of what I did there.

I did something different every day and as I said on HHQ I spent a day of pre-season training with the players which was absoloutley hillarious. Great bunch of blokes no doubt about that.

I never was made out to be the bitch haha. I was lucky enough only to have to do half a day in Merchandise ;)

Those who also enquired about work experiece at the club, I gather all you have to do it write to the club asking why you would want to do it and when you want to do, plenty of time in advance, that's your best bet I think..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back