Injury Mystery: How was Toovey concussed?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
There was eleven minutes to play in the second quarter. Toovey was chasing Billy Picken on his own out on the wing. The ball was switched in board, the camera's following the action into the middle where Sidebottom causes a turn over.

Not long after this Maxwell as boundary rider alerts the commentary team that Toovey is down.
"Boys Toovey's down in all sorts of trouble off the ball. Looks like some sort of concussion, he's holding his head."
The play continues for another minute, the Bulldogs turn it over and Darcy Moore takes a strong mark and goals for the Pies. Maxwell provides another update on Toovey.
"That was Alan Toovey going down with the doctor. He will have a concussion test. He was really struggling to stand up, and when he did get to his feet he was really wobbly."

The big mystery, how was Toovey concussed when he was so far off the ball? Did anyone at the game spot what happened?

Credit to PieLebo87 and didaksrightfoot for the idea for this thread from the main board.

Here is some footage from around the 11 minute mark of the second, just prior to the incident:
http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-r...&eventType=Behind&seek=2252&videoQuality=high

Last edited:
They will watch the behind the goal vision which is taped continuous throughout the day (even at half time and 3/4 time) and see what happens to him there.

I'd expect that vision to give the answer.

There's almost a hope that he was hit off the ball (off camera), be it accidental or deliberate, because then at least there's a clear reason for it.

It's a worry though, I wouldn't expect to see Tooves playing until after the bye now.

There was no malice reason to start that thread on the main board. Merely to discuss the rise in concussion numbers, but one has to question what exactly happened to Tooves. Not a normal circumstance.

There was no malice reason to start that thread on the main board. Merely to discuss the rise in concussion numbers, but one has to question what exactly happened to Tooves. Not a normal circumstance.

I think contact sports are starting to wake up to the dangers of concussion, and are now taking a more sensible cautionary approach than previously. As a result guys that would once have gone back on the field aren't. And weeks missed from diagnosed concussion injuries are rising as a result.

Here's an interesting video on it as it relates to the NFL:

We'd know if he was hit behind play. It's either a delayed response to an earlier concussion or something more worrying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why was Billy Picken let onto the field?

I was sitting in the MCC, and saw Toovey in all sorts of trouble, and as the play was further away, I actually had that exact thought at the time, and remember questioning my mate and a few around us as to whether somebody hit him... Nobody saw a thing. Cant remember a crowd reaction. Nothing mentioned in the presser, or on 360 last night. Really good point... I think Mattys123 is right, I almost hope somebody belted him. Its scarier if nobody has hit him, as he didnt look good.

I think contact sports are starting to wake up to the dangers of concussion, and are now taking a more sensible cautionary approach than previously. As a result guys that would once have gone back on the field aren't. And weeks missed from diagnosed concussion injuries are rising as a result.

It's actually scary to think what'll happen to contact sports in the long term with the evolution of science.

They will watch the behind the goal vision which is taped continuous throughout the day (even at half time and 3/4 time) and see what happens to him there.

I'd expect that vision to give the answer.

There's almost a hope that he was hit off the ball (off camera), be it accidental or deliberate, because then at least there's a clear reason for it.

It's a worry though, I wouldn't expect to see Tooves playing until after the bye now.

Then why was there nothing from the MRP then?

That is why I see lot of Contact Sports becoming Touch Sports in the Future

Then why was there nothing from the MRP then?
How can there be anything from the MRP when there's no footage of it and even the club and Alan himself have no idea how it's happened?

I wasn't asking for the MRP to get involved here, I was merely saying it would be better if Tooves did get hit in the head by a player (even accidentally) as it would have then made the symptoms he has so much more understandable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back