Streaming Mythic Quest (TV Series)

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was worth creating a thread for this show.

Partially because it pops up sporadically in other threads, and partially to spread the word and potentially attract some new viewers. In my opinion it's still seriously under represented in an era of streaming and over-saturation of most shows, including many that I'd argue are inferior.

Google summarises the show as: The team behind the biggest multiplayer video game of all-time is tasked with building worlds, moulding heroes and creating legends, but the most hard-fought battles don't occur in the game -- they happen in the office.

It's created by Rob McElhenny, Charlie Day, and Megan Ganz - aka Mac & Charlie from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (Megan is also one of the head writers of that show, and appears on/produces the Always Sunny podcast).

The cast is stacked: McElhenny, David Hornsby (Rickety Cricket from Always Sunny), F. Murray Abraham, Danny Pudi (Abed from Community), Australian newcomer Charlotte Nicdao, and a strong supporting cast. There are two performers that I don't rate at all, but I'll save that for later if this thread takes off.

The show has bits of Silicon Valley mixed in with the humour of Always Sunny, and set in a workplace, so take your pick of The Office etc.

I don't care for videogames, but you don't need to; it's about the absurdity and ego of the characters and how they co-exist to make the game.

I do think the quality has dipped each season as the creators very clearly try new things and mix up dynamics, but you can't criticise them for lacking ambition. The standalone/spin-off episode in each season is incredible, and I'd argue the Dark Quiet Death episode in season 1 (starring Jake Johnson and Cristin Milioti) was one of the most well made episodes of a TV show I've seen in the past few years.

Season 1 could be one of my favourite seasons of a comedy series, too.

If you enjoy workplace comedies, I'd highly recommend you watch the first season of this. With only 9 episodes at 22 minutes each, it's a light and IMO enjoyable way to pass the time.

Yeah happened upon this when I gave apple+ a go last year. Enjoyed it a lot and tore through both seasons.

Charlotte Nicdao saying 'Dinner Party' is something I could watch all day.

Happy Dinner Party GIF by Apple TV+

I just can't get into it. There was an amazing episode in Season 1 which showed me the show could be decent (it had none of the main cast in it - you guys know the one I'm talking about).

Maybe I'll give it another shot but for now I'm not connecting with the characters, not finding it funny and just generally not enjoying the vibe.

I just can't get into it. There was an amazing episode in Season 1 which showed me the show could be decent (it had none of the main cast in it - you guys know the one I'm talking about).

Maybe I'll give it another shot but for now I'm not connecting with the characters, not finding it funny and just generally not enjoying the vibe.
Everything isn't for everybody, what would be the point in wasting any more time on something that clearly isn't for you? Although it might be worth your while to go and cherry pick the episodes from each season which go somewhat off piste with a different cast, they're also quite good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back