Review NAB 1 vs. Geelong @ Townsville

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives:
- Hallahan is going to be our inside midfielder for the next ten years. What a pick up. No surprises though
- good to see Smith getting around the ground so freely.
- Saad looks a find. His pace and decision making looks top notch. Disposal still needs some work.
- Garlett is a genuine goal scorer.
- Rischitelli looked unhampered and led well.
- Lynch, as we know, is one of, if not the best CHF in the league
- Shaw looked hard at it which was nice
- Leslie looks a goer
- we look to be moving the ball quickly

Negatives:
- after another preseason Hall still hasn't learnt how to play the game.
- Schade has also been around a while and looks second rate
- we still struggle to hit targets

really pleased with hallahan's performance. wasn't able to watch the game, but by the sounds of it we played fairly well, besides the inaccuracy.

also, to anyone who watched the game, how's rocket's new gameplan look? similar to last year? any major differences?

Positives:
- Hallahan is going to be our inside midfielder for the next ten years. What a pick up. No surprises though
- good to see Smith getting around the ground so freely.
- Saad looks a find. His pace and decision making looks top notch. Disposal still needs some work.
- Garlett is a genuine goal scorer.
- Rischitelli looked unhampered and led well.
- Lynch, as we know, is one of, if not the best CHF in the league
- Shaw looked hard at it which was nice
- Leslie looks a goer
- we look to be moving the ball quickly

Negatives:
- after another preseason Hall still hasn't learnt how to play the game.
- Schade has also been around a while and looks second rate
- we still struggle to hit targets
I thought the main positive is that Aaron hall and Luke Russell will find it hard to get into the best 22 after seeing performances of saad, hallahan, miller, garlett and lonergan. I might keep my hair after all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a game! It was great to watch, and I'm really impressed with our new acquisitions.

Mitch Hallahan - wow, what a gun. He is going to be one of our best players right off the bad, and we got him dirt cheap!
Jarrod Garlett - what an awesome young kid. He's got the skill but without the size. Very impressed with him.
Touk Miller - Didn't see much of him, but he held his own and got a goal in towards the end of the game. Played very solidly.
Adam Saad - What an absolute gun. Holy * this dude is good. Can't wait to see him in action - just a shame he's on the rookie list!

I think everyone played really well (I thought Hall did well, and made some great marking attempts, but still struggled overall), and I thought that despite our young list, we played very well. Rocket should be pleased.

In saying that, our disposals were average, and our kicking accuracy was shocking. 19 behinds FFS. Almost every player was just kicking/passing without checking who they're passing the ball to. Just threw it out and hoped for the best. Plenty to work on, but so much potential to be GREAT.

P.S. Stanley and Risch were ******* 10/10

P.P.S. Smith was a beast. Total athletic beast. #1 ruckman for sure.

Last edited:
Good hitout for our first game of the season.

Positives
-Smith and our rucks in general. Gave our mids great service and were actually tapping it to our players instead of swinging blindly.
- Tackling intensity and attack on the ball was INSANE. Every player was putting their body on the line and not giving Geelong an inch. Swallow was the standout for me here.
- Forwardline pressure was amazing. Especially Garlett and Touk, who both look like they could play early.
- Saad off half-back was Harbs like. Just takes the game on and didn't look out of place.
- Hallahan. WOW. I know it's only 1 game but, i mean, WOW!
-Rischa stood up as captain early with a couple of goals.
- Lynch is an absolute monster! is noticeably bulkier and took some nice marks while working himself into the game.
- Leslie and particularly Schade showed something against Hawkins and Clark. Still room to improve but Schade kind of looks like a poor mans Rory. Isn't huge, but has long limbs and can spoil from behind. Has a bit of speed as well.
- No Injuries.
-No ponytails. Not sure what it is but the amount of players in the league sporting tied back hair so far is ridiculous. Looks awful.

Room for improvement
- hitting targets. It's still early but still needs to improve, especially off half-back, and hitting our forwards.
- Goal-kicking. Let us down last year and no different so far this year.
- If Josh Hall learns how to play in front he could a player. Has shown improvement though.
- Gorringe played all over the ground but i'm not convince he has the skill level to play through the middle.

It was only a practice match so can't read too much into it but esarly signs are good for 2015:)

I'm not too worried about the hitting targets, or lack thereof, as nearly every side that plays in NAB 1 has similar problems. Heck, just look at the Cats today. They couldn't clear it out of their back 50 for the entire second quarter such was their kicking ineptitude. That will come, and is exactly why pre-season games are important.

Most of what I want to say has already been said. I'd like to highlight though on Saad, who showed way more than I thought he would. I also thought Sexton looked at the level and worked very hard. He will get games this year based on his ability to run, carry and hit targets. His inside work looks like it has really developed too.

It looked liked Rocket swapped Harley and Kade around at various times, seeing the various results.

Schade looked and competed far better than I thought he would. Kudos to him for competing hard!

Josh Hall looks like he's lost a lot of development after being out of the game for nearly a year. His forward craft looked shot. He used to run and present hard, but seemed to play in a bit of limbo today. Didn't see much to get excited about, but he was on some very quality defenders such as Lonergan. Never stopped competing but disappointed overall.

I thought Leslie looked way out of his depth.

Harbrow didn't have his kicking boots on, that's for sure. But he still run and gunned! Again, rusty so not worried.

Brooskby looks like a State league player, and I'm not sure will play a game for us in the 1s.

Smith the overall stand-out to me. He's back to where he was right before he did his ACL. Taking marks, moving well and showing aggression. Looked very good!

Garlett and Miller found plenty of it. Very happy for them. :)

Overall I am happy with the performance. :) Our second string side beat a pretty well-stocked Geelong side. Granted I think guys like Bartel and Kelly were just jogging around out there, but to dominate them like we did in that second quarter was very eye opening. I've never seen us apply pressure like that. Should be good signs for the future! That side we fielded today would be competitive against 10 teams in the AFL IMO. Inject those who are missing and every game becomes winnable.

I know it's only preseason, but fielding a young and inexperienced side (including 5 players who have never played at AFL level before) and beating a nearly full-strength Geelong (minus Selwood and SJ) is pretty impressive.

I'm so excited.

Hopefully after this game the membership number will boost a little bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back