Unofficial Preview NAB Challenge 1 - GWS v Western Bulldogs - Thursday, 25 February, 7.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Sultan

All Australian
Sep 16, 2014
Essendon via Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
GWS
I'm bloody pumped to see the boys up and running again!

They are playing down in Canberra, at StarTrack Oval.

Early squads:

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

1. Phil Davis, 2. Jacob Hopper, 3. Stephen Coniglio, 5. Dylan Shiel, 6. Lachie Whitfield, 7. Rhys Palmer, 9. Tom Scully, 11. Jack Steele, 12. Jonathon Patton , 14. Jarrod Pickett, 15. Matthew Kennedy, 16. Nathan Wilson, 20. Adam Tomlinson, 21. Matt Buntine, 22. Josh Kelly, 24. Joel Patfull, 26. Dawson Simpson, 27. Harrison Himmelberg, 28. Jake Barrett, 29. Zac Williams,, 31. Jeremy Finlayson, 33. Will Hoskin-Elliott, 34. Caleb Marchbank, 35. Aidan Corr, 36. James Stewart, 37. Rory Lobb, 40. Adam Kennedy, 42. Pat McKenna, 50. Sam J. Reid

Notable absentees: Toby Greene, Callan Ward, Ryan Griffen, Jeremy Cameron, Heath Shaw

WESTERN BULLDOGS

1. Matthew Suckling, 2. Robert Murphy, 3. Mitch Wallis, 4. Marcus Bontempelli, 5. Matthew Boyd, 6. Luke Dahlhaus, 7. Lachie Hunter, 9. Jake Stringer, 10. Easton Wood, 11. Jack Macrae, 13. Nathan Hrovat, 15. Tom Campbell, 16. Toby McLean, 19. Lukas Webb, 22. Mitch Honeychurch, 23. Jordan Roughead, 24. Shane Biggs, 25. Koby Stevens, 26. Declan Hamilton, 27. Will Minson, 29. Tory Dickson, 31. Bailey Dale, 32. Kieran Collins, 33. Marcus Adams, 35. Caleb Daniel, 38. Dale Morris, 39. Jason Johannisen, 42. Liam Picken, 44. Jed Adcock

Notable absentees: Tom Liberatore, Tom Boyd, Stewart Crameri, Lin Jong

Oh and you guys have named a pretty strong team. I am curious as to what you think the coaching staffs plan is for your team this NAB challenge? Considering you have named a strong team it looks like the plan is to give some practice games to the best 22 and give them a chance to gel heading towards Round 1 whist also giving some players on the fringe an opportunity to push their claim for a Round 1 spot. I like that tactic.

Good luck guys
should be a good outing since both clubs are developing a dislike for each other
Looking forward to see if Hopper can make a impact

Oh and you guys have named a pretty strong team. I am curious as to what you think the coaching staffs plan is for your team this NAB challenge? Considering you have named a strong team it looks like the plan is to give some practice games to the best 22 and give them a chance to gel heading towards Round 1 whist also giving some players on the fringe an opportunity to push their claim for a Round 1 spot. I like that tactic.
Re patful, no I think he is good to play. But yes esp if itishot he may be dropped

There are a lot of leaders left out of the team, I think it's a statement... If u r left out your spot is secure for round 1. The rest? Earn it

Re patful, no I think he is good to play. But yes esp if itishot he may be dropped

There are a lot of leaders left out of the team, I think it's a statement... If u r left out your spot is secure for round 1. The rest? Earn it

Agree. There's a few others named in the 29 who I would consider certainties for round 1 - Davis, Shiel, Cogs & Scully - so it will be interesting who are the last 3 omitted, whether any of those, or they may keep them to provide leadership in this game. There might be a few guys with niggling injuries or sickness (Patfull & Marchbank to name 2) who are iffy. Mumford's another big name not playing. It's only NAB so keen to see how everyone is shaping up in fitness and skills - especially Hopper, Kennedy & Simpson - and the result won't mean a thing.

Ok getting pretty pumped now !!! Looking forward to seeing a couple of the young guys.

Wont lie i was looking forward to seeing stevie j in the orange :) 1 more week i guess.

I have high hopes this season. Top 4 for the first half of last season until 1 too many injuries to experienced players cost the boys. I went to put a bet on for Giants for top 4 and sportsbet are only paying $6. Was gutted haha. Seems the bookies have the same expectations

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

What do you guys reckon your forwardline will look like? Keen to see who Adams and Collins will line up on.

Glad to see we're both playing semi-full teams, should be a good hitout.
Maybe something like
Palmer Patton picket
McKenna Stewart lobb

Obviously with mids rotating through and lobb to the ruck

I'm bloody pumped to see the boys up and running again!

They are playing down in Canberra, at StarTrack Oval.

Early squads:

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

1. Phil Davis, 2. Jacob Hopper, 3. Stephen Coniglio, 5. Dylan Shiel, 6. Lachie Whitfield, 7. Rhys Palmer, 9. Tom Scully, 11. Jack Steele, 12. Jonathon Patton , 14. Jarrod Pickett, 15. Matthew Kennedy, 16. Nathan Wilson, 20. Adam Tomlinson, 21. Matt Buntine, 22. Josh Kelly, 24. Joel Patfull, 26. Dawson Simpson, 27. Harrison Himmelberg, 28. Jake Barrett, 29. Zac Williams,, 31. Jeremy Finlayson, 33. Will Hoskin-Elliott, 34. Caleb Marchbank, 35. Aidan Corr, 36. James Stewart, 37. Rory Lobb, 40. Adam Kennedy, 42. Pat McKenna, 50. Sam J. Reid

Notable absentees: Toby Greene, Callan Ward, Ryan Griffen, Jeremy Cameron, Heath Shaw

We're travelling okay when a legend like Stevie J can't make the notable absentee list :D

Maybe something like
Palmer Patton picket
McKenna Stewart lobb

Obviously with mids rotating through and lobb to the ruck
I expect to see a fair bit of experimentation in the fwd line this week, with the setup changing from quarter to quarter. Himmelberg and WHE will likely be in there at some stage, and probably also Tommo and Finlayson.

It will be interesting to see the approach that the coaching staff take with Patton - whether they take precautions and only play him for half a game or whether they want him to prove he's ready for solid 4 quarter performances.

I expect to see a fair bit of experimentation in the fwd line this week, with the setup changing from quarter to quarter. Himmelberg and WHE will likely be in there at some stage, and probably also Tommo and Finlayson.

It will be interesting to see the approach that the coaching staff take with Patton - whether they take precautions and only play him for half a game or whether they want him to prove he's ready for solid 4 quarter performances.
WHE! How could I forget that bloke?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Himmleberg and Finlayson have been playing almost exclusively in defence this preseason - including the entirety of the intra club when some players were thrown all over the field.

In fact every game I saw him play in the NEAFL last year, Finlayson was down back. I actually think he's a better defender than Marchbank, and probably would have played ahead of him last year but for the hip injury that kept him out of the first half of the season (was certainly better than him in the intra-club too).

HH I can see going forward at some stage, maybe, but I reckon they'll keep him down back where he's been training and playing (and according to the lad himself, enoying his time) so far this year.

Davis, Shiel and Himmelberg apparently not on the plane to Canberra.

No Davis or Ward, so Cogs to captain the side!

Well obviously the no Callan Ward is because he's off to Carlton at the end of the year (homesick) so we have to start learning to play without him.:rolleyes:
http://www.sportingnews.com/list/46...ian-football-league-colin-sylvia/slide/440974

Nah, actually pretty pumped for this. Really want to see how the young guys go.
He's actually off to Collingwood....:D:D

Looking forward to the game.
My 10 year old daughter is a keen member and she's really excited about the first game of the lay-off in Canberra.

Davis, Shiel and Himmelberg apparently not on the plane to Canberra.

No Davis or Ward, so Cogs to captain the side!

OK, so a fairly youthful side with the experienced players all rested 'cept Patfull & Palmer- Raymann, I tip my hat to you for calling this!

Provides the opportunity to have all of the younger, energetic players shake off the cobwebs up against another quite youthful side. A fair amount of experimentation and rotation likely.

I'd tend to see the team broadly run as:

Forwards (6): Patton, Stewart , Palmer, WHE, Pickett, McKenna

Rucks (2): Simpson, Lobb

Mids (9): Coniglio, Barrett, Steele, Kelly, Hopper, Matt Kennedy, Reid, Whitfield, Scully,

Backs (8): Corr, Marchbank, Finlayson, Patfull, Wilson, Buntine, Williams, Adam Kennedy

Swingman or ? (1): Tomlinson

So, great opportunity for most of these guys to make a statement up against a young but reasonably strong Doggies team. As Danny88 said, most of the experienced guys omitted will be certainties for round 1, those named here are fighting to impress for the remaining spots up for grabs.

Based on the teams selected it looks to be a pretty good game this one. Both teams with some obvious outs but seems relatively even to me ( not that im all that knowledgeable on both lists), kinda excited... not sure if that is just my impatience for the footy to actually start or because there were some heavily mismatched games last week.

Hoping for a good game, gl guys :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back