Sep 16, 2014
Essendon via Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
GWS
Playing at Drummoyne Oval.

SYDNEY SWANS
1. James Rose, 4. Dan Hannebery, 5. Isaac Heeney, 6. Tom Mitchell, 7. Harry Cunningham, 8. Kurt Tippett, 10. Zak Jones, 11. Jeremy Laidler, 12. Josh P. Kennedy, 13. Toby Nankervis, 14. Callum Mills, 15. Kieren Jack, 18. Callum Sinclair, 22. Dean Towers, 23. Lance Franklin, 24. Dane Rampe, 26. Luke Parker, 27. Daniel Robinson, 28. Nic Newman, 29. George Hewett, 32. Michael Talia, 33. Brandon Jack, 34. Jordan Dawson, 36. Aliir Aliir, 39. Heath Grundy, 40. Nick Smith, 41. Tom Papley, 42. Xavier Richards, 44. Jake Lloyd

Notable absentees: Ted Richards, Ben McGlynn, Sam Reid, Jarrad McVeigh

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
1. Phil Davis, 4. Toby Greene, 5. Dylan Shiel, 6. Lachie Whitfield, 7. Rhys Palmer, 8. Callan Ward, 9. Tom Scully, 10. Devon Smith, 11. Jack Steele, 14. Jarrod Pickett, 15. Matthew Kennedy, 16. Nathan Wilson, 17. Steve Johnson, 18. Jeremy Cameron, 20. Adam Tomlinson, 21. Matthew Buntine, 22. Josh Kelly, 23. Heath Shaw, 24. Joel Patfull, 29. Zac Williams, 32. Ryan Griffen, 33. Will Hoskin-Elliott, 34. Caleb Marchbank, 35. Aidan Corr, 36. James Stewart, 37. Rory Lobb, 40. Adam Kennedy, 41. Shane Mumford, 50. Sam Reid

Notable absentees: Jon Patton, Jacob Hopper, Stephen Coniglio

Last edited:

I'll be there and managed to convince 5 other non-GWS people to come down to watch.

Any recommendations for parking? I can imagine it will be tight...

SYDNEY SWANS
1. James Rose, 4. Dan Hannebery, 5. Isaac Heeney, 6. Tom Mitchell, 7. Harry Cunningham, 8. Kurt Tippett, 10. Zak Jones, 11. Jeremy Laidler, 12. Josh P. Kennedy, 13. Toby Nankervis, 14. Callum Mills, 15. Kieren Jack, 18. Callum Sinclair, 22. Dean Towers, 23. Lance Franklin, 24. Dane Rampe, 26. Luke Parker, 27. Daniel Robinson, 28. Nic Newman, 29. George Hewett, 32. Michael Talia, 33. Brandon Jack, 34. Jordan Dawson, 36. Aliir Aliir, 39. Heath Grundy, 40. Nick Smith, 41. Tom Papley, 42. Xavier Richards, 44. Jake Lloyd

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
1. Phil Davis, 4. Toby Greene, 5. Dylan Shiel, 6. Lachie Whitfield, 7. Rhys Palmer, 8. Callan Ward, 9. Tom Scully, 10. Devon Smith, 11. Jack Steele, 14. Jarrod Pickett, 15. Matthew Kennedy, 16. Nathan Wilson, 17. Steve Johnson, 18. Jeremy Cameron, 20. Adam Tomlinson, 21. Matthew Buntine, 22. Josh Kelly, 23. Heath Shaw, 24. Joel Patfull, 29. Zac Williams, 32. Ryan Griffen, 33. Will Hoskin-Elliott, 34. Caleb Marchbank, 35. Aidan Corr, 36. James Stewart, 37. Rory Lobb, 40. Adam Kennedy, 41. Shane Mumford, 50. Sam Reid

SYDNEY SWANS

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

It's a pretty good indication of where the match committee is at for round 1. I see 5 spots that are up for grabs with a number of players essentially on trial on Friday night.
Small forward - Reid/WHE/Pickett
small defender - Kennedy/Wilson/Williams
inside mid - Kennedy/Steele
key back - Tomlinson/marchbank/corr
key forward - Stewart/Tomlinson - although I can't see Patton missing out.

Doesn't Reid only come into contention for regular game time in the season proper if there's an injury? How often can he play as a rookie?
Can only play for a recognised long term injury or a mid-season retirement. He would be elevated to the main list in that case. Unless the rules have changed, that is my understanding.

I would expect next week will see Kennedy (M) out and Hopper in. Both to play 2 of 3 NAB Challenge games
Hope so. With Rahul talking about him last year I've got him as the great white hope this year, and put a whack of cash on him at $21 to be Rising Star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't Reid only come into contention for regular game time in the season proper if there's an injury? How often can he play as a rookie?
As GWS Tragic said. However, GWS certainly has Ahern out for the year, and presumably if the AFL accepts Sunshine's mental health issues as real then two 'long term injury' spots would be available of GWS chose to elevate Reid (or Lloyd) from the rookie list.

As GWS Tragic said. However, GWS certainly has Ahern out for the year, and presumably if the AFL accepts Sunshine's mental health issues as real then two 'long term injury' spots would be available of GWS chose to elevate Reid (or Lloyd) from the rookie list.
In the ask a coach Twitter thing I asked LC if we would upgrade Lloyd or Reid due to the Sunshine situation.

Got duck eggs. I think they expect Sunshine back this year....

In the ask a coach Twitter thing I asked LC if we would upgrade Lloyd or Reid due to the Sunshine situation.

Got duck eggs. I think they expect Sunshine back this year....

Hmmm, interesting. From the public comments, I'd agree. But not sure I take the public comments at face value. However, they might not want the optics of replacing Sunshine (which, to be clear, they could do and then return Reid/Lloyd to the rookie list when/if Sunshine returns). Given the previous hoohah, I wouldn't have a problem with that perspective. But there's certainly Ahern's spot available.

I'd just say it's interesting that Dan Lloyd hasn't got a run in either NAB1 or NAB2, unless he's injured, which I haven't seen.

Hmmm, interesting. From the public comments, I'd agree. But not sure I take the public comments at face value. However, they might not want the optics of replacing Sunshine (which, to be clear, they could do and then return Reid/Lloyd to the rookie list when/if Sunshine returns). Given the previous hoohah, I wouldn't have a problem with that perspective. But there's certainly Ahern's spot available.

I'd just say it's interesting that Dan Lloyd hasn't got a run in either NAB1 or NAB2, unless he's injured, which I haven't seen.
He didn't get named for Friday night?

Interesting team for NAB2. Not sure too much can be read into it though. If GWS wants to give those in or near senior selection 2 games out of 3, then guys have to sit out NAB2. But if GWS want to play close to the round 1 selection in NAB3, then some guys are going to have to play 3 games. I would think some of those might get less game time this week. (Noting that there's still 3 to drop out before the game.) The interesting bits for me:
  • No Downie. Is he injured?
  • No Lloyd, thought he'd at least get a run. Could have omitted Palmer for him IMV.
  • Corr, Marchbank & Tomlinson all in - if they all play then perhaps there's a competition for starting spots.
  • Lobb, Stewart, Tomlinson but no Patton - somewhat intriguing as I thought the General was down last week & could have benefitted from another run & that Lobb laid down a marker. I expected Lobb to rest and Patton v Stewart to be a battle for selection. Intrigued by what plays out now until round 1.
  • Palmer, Kelly, Whitfield & Scully all playing NAB2--thought a couple would rest, though Lachie does need to shake out the cobwebs more than he did last week IMV.
  • Wilson, Williams, Buntine & Kennedy all playing NAB2--agree that there are still spots in the medium defender role up for grabs. Don't mind that at all, get hungry guys and play a ripper game.
  • Matt Kennedy's selection ahead of Hopper. Unless giving Hopper NAB3 makes him more likely to roll straight into round 1. Or they could be just giving each of them 2 games and just flipped a coin to see who played which game.
  • I'm not convinced that there really is an open spot for a small forward, but think that Pickett/Reid/WHE are just getting match practice; at best maybe jockeying for a position if a spot opens up.
  • No Himmelberg, thought he might have got a run. Wouldn't expect him in NAB3 now.
I won't get to the match live, but will look forward to seeing it & reading the post-mortems. Sydney will be a tough opponent, so it should give everyone playing a strong hitout and assessment of where they're at.

Interesting team for NAB2. Not sure too much can be read into it though. If GWS wants to give those in or near senior selection 2 games out of 3, then guys have to sit out NAB2. But if GWS want to play close to the round 1 selection in NAB3, then some guys are going to have to play 3 games. I would think some of those might get less game time this week. (Noting that there's still 3 to drop out before the game.) The interesting bits for me:
  • No Downie. Is he injured?
  • No Lloyd, thought he'd at least get a run. Could have omitted Palmer for him IMV.
  • Corr, Marchbank & Tomlinson all in - if they all play then perhaps there's a competition for starting spots.
  • Lobb, Stewart, Tomlinson but no Patton - somewhat intriguing as I thought the General was down last week & could have benefitted from another run & that Lobb laid down a marker. I expected Lobb to rest and Patton v Stewart to be a battle for selection. Intrigued by what plays out now until round 1.
  • Palmer, Kelly, Whitfield & Scully all playing NAB2--thought a couple would rest, though Lachie does need to shake out the cobwebs more than he did last week IMV.
  • Wilson, Williams, Buntine & Kennedy all playing NAB2--agree that there are still spots in the medium defender role up for grabs. Don't mind that at all, get hungry guys and play a ripper game.
  • Matt Kennedy's selection ahead of Hopper. Unless giving Hopper NAB3 makes him more likely to roll straight into round 1. Or they could be just giving each of them 2 games and just flipped a coin to see who played which game.
  • I'm not convinced that there really is an open spot for a small forward, but think that Pickett/Reid/WHE are just getting match practice; at best maybe jockeying for a position if a spot opens up.
  • No Himmelberg, thought he might have got a run. Wouldn't expect him in NAB3 now.
I won't get to the match live, but will look forward to seeing it & reading the post-mortems. Sydney will be a tough opponent, so it should give everyone playing a strong hitout and assessment of where they're at.

I think you are pretty a much spot on although apart from Patton and cogs I can't see a player outside of this team getting a game in nab3 and therefore round 1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You dont think Hopper will get a run in the 3rd game?

Leon has said that the third game will be pretty much full strength. 8 would need to be dropped from nab2 for hopper to get a game (29 plus Patton and cogs and 24 man squad for nab 3). To me it would mean someone in better for being dropped for him to player. Hopper didn't have a great game last week unfortunately.

Leon has no issue with taking his time with new draftees. None of them even got a nab cup game last year so no rush to play the draftees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back