Unofficial Preview NAB Challenge 2 - Sydney v GWS - Friday, 4 March, 7.10pm

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Couple of interesting snippets from the afl.com story today:
  • Cameron will use a reduced squad against the Swans, with the Giants expected to go with 24 players instead of the regulation 26 to help with their game-time management.
  • Mumford hopes to play around 70 per cent of the game against the Swans at Drummoyne Oval in Sydney's inner west, before stepping up his output when GWS take on the Brisbane Lions at Metricon Stadium on Sunday March 13. The No.1 big man will work in tandem with promising youngster Rory Lobb against in-form Swans pair Kurt Tippett and Callum Sinclair.
So, expect 5 players to drop out from the named team. I'm interested to see if they are' round 1 certainties' who played NAB1 (e.g. Palmer, Scully, Patfull ...) or fringe players (e.g. Matt Kennedy, Sam Reid ...), which might reveal whether decisions have been made on some of the fringe players. If Kennedy sits out, it might put the Hopper vs Kennedy discussion to the back of the cupboard.

Rhys Cooyou

Team Captain
Feb 25, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Couple of interesting snippets from the afl.com story today:
  • Cameron will use a reduced squad against the Swans, with the Giants expected to go with 24 players instead of the regulation 26 to help with their game-time management.
  • Mumford hopes to play around 70 per cent of the game against the Swans at Drummoyne Oval in Sydney's inner west, before stepping up his output when GWS take on the Brisbane Lions at Metricon Stadium on Sunday March 13. The No.1 big man will work in tandem with promising youngster Rory Lobb against in-form Swans pair Kurt Tippett and Callum Sinclair.
So, expect 5 players to drop out from the named team. I'm interested to see if they are' round 1 certainties' who played NAB1 (e.g. Palmer, Scully, Patfull ...) or fringe players (e.g. Matt Kennedy, Sam Reid ...), which might reveal whether decisions have been made on some of the fringe players. If Kennedy sits out, it might put the Hopper vs Kennedy discussion to the back of the cupboard.
I'm not starting a Hopper v Kennedy thing.

I love them both and want to see them both play 400 games and win 9 flags in Giants colours.

I'm just saying it doesn't make sense to not play them both in the first & second week of the NAB cup.

And abdicating Hopper being dropped "because we don't gift games round here no more, boy" for a bloody trial game is stupidity beyond belief.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'm not starting a Hopper v Kennedy thing.
I love them both and want to see them both play 400 games and win 9 flags in Giants colours.
I'm just saying it doesn't make sense to not play them both in the first & second week of the NAB cup.
And abdicating Hopper being dropped "because we don't gift games round here no more, boy" for a bloody trial game is stupidity beyond belief.

Cool your jets there Rhys. Your entitled to your opinion, and we all know how passionate you are. All people have opinions, some hold them as dearly as you hold yours. It's a worthwhile discussion about junior player development within preparation for round 1, great to see on the GWS board. I'd just like it to stay rational and civil. And I haven't bought into the discussion - my point is that if Kennedy were to drop out of the playing team it would reveal that Leon was going with an approach more focussed on preparing for round 1. And if he doesn't drop out, then perhaps he did impress more than Hopper in NAB1 and is being considered in the mix for round 1.

Rhys Cooyou

Team Captain
Feb 25, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Cool your jets there Rhys. Your entitled to your opinion, and we all know how passionate you are. All people have opinions, some hold them as dearly as you hold yours. It's a worthwhile discussion about junior player development within preparation for round 1, great to see on the GWS board. I'd just like it to stay rational and civil. And I haven't bought into the discussion - my point is that if Kennedy were to drop out of the playing team it would reveal that Leon was going with an approach more focussed on preparing for round 1. And if he doesn't drop out, then perhaps he did impress more than Hopper in NAB1 and is being considered in the mix for round 1.
That's my point.

Kennedy impressed more in NAB 1. Yet Hopper doesn't get a right of reply in NAB 2?

Isn't that what the NAB Cup is all about? Providing opportunity? Showing what the kids / veterans / rookies / orange peeler can do in proper match practice without the sheep station on the line at the end of the game?

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
That's my point.
Kennedy impressed more in NAB 1. Yet Hopper doesn't get a right of reply in NAB 2?
Isn't that what the NAB Cup is all about? Providing opportunity? Showing what the kids / veterans / rookies / orange peeler can do in proper match practice without the sheep station on the line at the end of the game?

Well, I'm obviously not an AFL coach, but I'd say NAB cup is all about what Leon Cameron wants it to be. Would I like to see more of Hopper & Kennedy? Yes, sure. But also Pickett, Steele, etc. And we also expect GWS to make the finals, and getting off to a good start is no doubt part of that, so building cohesion among the likely playing group is likely to be a priority. Everyone has their view of what should be done, but only LC will get held accountable if his approach doesn't work.

Rhys Cooyou

Team Captain
Feb 25, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Well, I'm obviously not an AFL coach, but I'd say NAB cup is all about what Leon Cameron wants it to be. Would I like to see more of Hopper & Kennedy? Yes, sure. But also Pickett, Steele, etc. And we also expect GWS to make the finals, and getting off to a good start is no doubt part of that, so building cohesion among the likely playing group is likely to be a priority. Everyone has their view of what should be done, but only LC will get held accountable if his approach doesn't work.
If love to see more of Pickett.
Steele?
Already seen what he can do. Massive fan.

He's played senior footy before. We know what we're getting.

So let the Picketts / Kennedy's / Hoppers of this world get a whole heap of game time in NAB 1 & 2 when you can have a larger team size and unlimited rotations.

The play Steele in NAB 3 while the other3 get a breather, unless one or two of them have absolutely killed it?

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
If love to see more of Pickett.
Steele?
Already seen what he can do. Massive fan.

He's played senior footy before. We know what we're getting.

So let the Picketts / Kennedy's / Hoppers of this world get a whole heap of game time in NAB 1 & 2 when you can have a larger team size and unlimited rotations.

The play Steele in NAB 3 while the other3 get a breather, unless one or two of them have absolutely killed it?

So Steele sits out for hopper so he can have another crack and the hopper has a good game and Steele is now out of contention for round 1 cause hopper has played well... Yeah I bet Steele or any of the other youngsters picked would love to sit out and potentially miss out on round 1. Every player picked tonight is still pushing their case for selection and need the match practice/fitness.

Your reasons for giving hopper a game could be argued for every player in the squad. They all want to play and show what they can do to picked for premiership games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rhys Cooyou

Team Captain
Feb 25, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
So Steele sits out for hopper so he can have another crack and the hopper has a good game and Steele is now out of contention for round 1 cause hopper has played well... Yeah I bet Steele or any of the other youngsters picked would love to sit out and potentially miss out on round 1. Every player picked tonight is still pushing their case for selection and need the match practice/fitness.

Your reasons for giving hopper a game could be argued for every player in the squad. They all want to play and show what they can do to picked for premiership games.

No.

Steele is the incumbent, as he has seniority and AFL experience.

He gets a run in NAB 1. He sits out 2 while the two young(er) bucks get a run, and when it's a "fair dinkum" NAB Cup game with real match rotations and numbers on the bench, Steele gets his chance to play for Round 1.

If the guys play absolute blinders tonight, then it's up to LC to judge which of them gets a spot on the bench for NAB 3 and a potential round 1 debut.

Jaffa Fan

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
0aa48a4e98a70d9c5859b9e7ce80b331.jpg
Nice spot to watch footy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
No.

Steele is the incumbent, as he has seniority and AFL experience.

He gets a run in NAB 1. He sits out 2 while the two young(er) bucks get a run, and when it's a "fair dinkum" NAB Cup game with real match rotations and numbers on the bench, Steele gets his chance to play for Round 1.

If the guys play absolute blinders tonight, then it's up to LC to judge which of them gets a spot on the bench for NAB 3 and a potential round 1 debut.

Except that Steele isn't the incumbent. He is a fringe player who is trying to force his way into the side.

The pecking order has been worked out over 6 months and NAB1 was the last chance for the young bucks to stake their claim and now it's the big boys turn to find some touch and match fitness before round 1.

Anyway enough arguing over spilt milk... It's almost game time.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-04/final-teams-swans-v-giants

GREATER Western Sydney forward Devon Smith will not take on the Sydney Swans in Friday night's NAB Challenge clash due to a knee problem. Smith failed to train with the Giants' main group on Thursday at Drummoyne oval, instead having shots on goal in his joggers and club officials told AFL.com.au that the 22-year-old has been rested as a precaution. The game against the Swans was supposed to be Smith's first match of the year after he was rested from the Giant's opening NAB Challenge loss to the Western Bulldogs.

Joel Patfull, Sam Reid, Jarrod Pickett and academy draftee Matthew Kennedy have also been left out of the team with GWS coach Leon Cameron opting to play a reduced squad of 24 players.

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
Out: Devon Smith, Jarrod Pickett, Joel Patfull, Sam Reid, Matthew Kennedy

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
1. Phil Davis, 4. Toby Greene, 5. Dylan Shiel, 6. Lachie Whitfield, 7. Rhys Palmer, 8. Callan Ward, 9. Tom Scully, 11. Jack Steele, 16. Nathan Wilson, 17. Steve Johnson, 18. Jeremy Cameron, 20. Adam Tomlinson, 21. Matthew Buntine, 22. Josh Kelly, 23. Heath Shaw, 29. Zac Williams, 32. Ryan Griffen, 33. Will Hoskin-Elliott, 34. Caleb Marchbank, 35. Aidan Corr, 36. James Stewart, 37. Rory Lobb, 40. Adam Kennedy, 41. Shane Mumford

Notable absentees: Jon Patton, Jacob Hopper, Stephen Coniglio, Devon Smith

So, I interpret the team as: Smith injured, 3 outside fringe players omitted, one certainty (Patfull) rested to give a solid workout to several candidates vying for backline positions. Competition for forward line and backline spots still there. Overall, add Smith, Patfull, Patton & Cogs and that's the central 'best 28' to start the season. No real surprises I shouldn't think.

GWS aims for NAB2:
  • no injuries
  • solid workout for the first gamers for season
  • no injuries
  • greater clarity of forward line and backline uncertainties
  • no injuries
  • result = bonus, so long as its not a blowout loss

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Any reason Mummy's off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing said on the commentary.

But boy did we lose our structure and skills for a large chunk of that quarter. Gotta keep the pressure up and try to hit a target occasionally.

Still.... Deserved lead, and certainly looking better than last week.

Back