Review NAB Challenge Game 3 - Carlton vs Sydney @ Etihad Stadium (5:50pm AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Only because he was not given a fair chance to play in the best 22. Every game he played for us he did really well but for some reason Longmire still refused to give him a proper go of it. If he did get a fair chance to prove himself he probably would have stayed.
So why didn't he sign knowing that our half backs were soon moving on?

Tippett has been a little ineffective for me, this is the first time that both buddy and tippo have been super fot and completed full pre seasons together. I say play them both forward and see how they go

Tippett has been a little ineffective for me, this is the first time that both buddy and tippo have been super fot and completed full pre seasons together. I say play them both forward and see how they go

Tippett is better when he Rucks imo

Good thing its a developing year and we dont have two of the leagues highest players

Buddy will keep us competitive as we get games into our young players.
One of the reasons its so easy to support this club, even when we drop off we never bottom out.

Buddy will keep us competitive as we get games into our young players.
One of the reasons its so easy to support this club, even when we drop off we never bottom out.

Lucky he got over that depression in time for pre season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On reflection the coaches tried a few different strategies. The mids strategies were an abject failure. The second quarter strategy of moving the ball quickly and cutting off their attack worked very well and forced them into errors. That left Bud in Pagan's Paddock several times with a couple of smalls. Lovely to see smalls playing under our big blokes. Papley is going to be invaluable in that game plan.

In the third they tried something different, we probably will never know what it actually entailed or what the outcomes were to be other than goals of course because it was an abject failure. That happens. I thought we tried some hit up footy and played it really well in the last half of the last quarter. Our players can deliver it is just that with a shitty game plan they lose enthusiasm and concentration. We still put far too much pressure on our defenders. We need to win far more clearances, especially centre clearances. But I still think the most pleasing thing was we didn't just bomb and we rarely handballed back for long periods like usual. We were getting the ball forward on most accasions and that bodes well. We also played some really exciting footy at times and when the players get used to the new set ups I thuink we will be ok.

It always helps to have a few people who know different styles. Francou is in that vein and Kirky has always been a quirky individual and would pull stuff out of the aether. Very left field. Makes it more interesting. I'm glad Horse has decided to change. It was looking as though our game plan would have been the same as the last two to three years.

Finally got a chance to watch it and it wasn't as bad as I was thinking having read this prior to it.

Thought Lloyd was good again - 2 games out 3 this pre-season he has been in the best which is promising.

All the older guys performed ok to good. Team was a bit all over the shop is all but that is a function of the gameplan

Ted is required down back if only for his organising skills during this transition year for guys like Jones and Mills to blend in with the structure. Can't see how they fit in Talia at this stage which is worrying in a way.

Jones looks to have tempered some of his over the top aggression which is good. Was hoping he could focus more on footy rather than trying to blue everything that moved. Will stand him in good stead as he doesn't need to respond to every niggle as he was doing, it makes himan easy target. Just play footy son, you hit like a truck legitimately which is a lot better than push and shove and harsh language.

Kizza is not a back. I never want to see him there again, gives me cold shivers up the spine.

Papley must play. Adds so much to a one dimensional "forward" line even at this stage. Rose looked promising again as well if only for his endeavout and willingness to work.

Hewitt looks better than Robbo and the others on the cusp which is pleasing to see - progression from any quarter is good.

I didn't really see how Mills could be rated so much than Heeney but I can now. Heeney if anything was a bit disappointing for mine over the 3 games. Did nothing wrong as such - maybe my expectations were set too high for what is still a kid.

All in all learned not a whole lot than we already knew. Same old same old this season which is slightly disappointing but we should be there near the end which always gives you a shot.

Also caught the whole game.

Hannebery and Franklin were great obviously. Lloyd and Rampe were very solid, and Grundy was reliable in the half he played.

Talia needs to play NEAFL, Mills and Hewett are ready to go. Tippett was better in the ruck but Sinclair was better around the ground.

Hewett showed he is definitely above Robinson, Papley was good, Talia nullified Casboult which isn't a easy thing to he did his job.

Folks this is likely to be the round 1 side with maybe a change or two its going to be a LOT of inexperience while Reid, Rohan, McVeigh and Richards, McGlynn are out expect mistakes and lots of them.

This is not the 2014 team anymore just let them grow and lower your expectations, i mean talks of flag or top 4 is fanciful stuff im not writing it off but with 11 players only having over 50 games experience it would be quite a feat.

Agree H2F re Hewett, he showed he is ready for the big time. Every aspect of his game was well controlled and skillful from his tackling, to his great ability to hit a target, his ability to read the game, think ahead and get free when it counts.Seems to be very evasive too. He looks well and truly a lock for round 1. Not super quick but seems to have developed enough speed, strength and tank to take it to the next level.

Talia is no disaster and seems capable of performing a role without being a star.

Also caught the whole game.

Hannebery and Franklin were great obviously. Lloyd and Rampe were very solid, and Grundy was reliable in the half he played.

Talia needs to play NEAFL, Mills and Hewett are ready to go. Tippett was better in the ruck but Sinclair was better around the ground.
What position/s has Hewitt been playing? Where do you think they'll put him if selected round one?

What position/s has Hewitt been playing? Where do you think they'll put him if selected round one?

Been playing mostly a half-forward role iirc.

He played mainly on the wing but in the second half got ago in the centre square for a while. Very clever with his handball to players who need to distribute. seems to be able to find a player free and provide the block. Played forward while resting and was very creative. A goal or two per game from a mid is always a good thing and the one thing you can be sure of with this kid is no matter how big they are he is going to give you a contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back