Review NAB Challenge game Rnd 2. Sydney V GWS at Drummoyne Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

All in all I was just pleased to see Heeney get through unscathed.
Sinclair looked a lot better than nab 1 and competes well
Newman, papley and Dawson look good
Talia gets to good spots but shits the bed a lot.
Towers decision making worse the. Mitchell's kicking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well.....the one thing that concerns me is the skill errors, handballs missing the mark, kicks missing the target, loopy hanballs that stop the run, an inability to pick ip the loose ball.....we seem below standard. I am hoping we are going the hustle and will explode in rnd1.

btw....is Allir a chance to show his wares next week?

Happy to be corrected on that, but I remember you guys coming from the bottom half of the 8 the previous year and not really being in the mix at the 2012 pre-season and then turning it on with a great game plan that took a few teams by surprise?
Only say it too because I remember you guys being written off after that as not being able to go back to back and a flash in the pan side.
Hawks were still "the benchmark" after that - and 2013 ended in a injury plagued finals series - hence my main point.
We finished third behind Hawthorn and Adelaide. We had a lot of players with injuries (and playing) and I think that was a reason why many wrote us off.

We still push 1 too many handpasses per chain. If we just created the width from a contest to be able to go to foot with one less link in the chain we would be so much faster it would be unrecognizable. The spread would be so much better as players wouldn't all be hanging around with their backs to goal waiting for a flat footed one-two pass that leads nowhere.

Lack of structure is really just another way of saying we took too long to build and the defence smothered us/led their man to non-dangerous areas/created a bottleneck, found their opponent/joined a key defender for a chop out/created a 2 or 3 on 1/forced a high kick under pressure etc etc ad nauseum.

Underrated post, surprised it didn't get more 'likes'. Complaints about our game plan are a dime a dozen, we know it's broken judging by the stuttering nature of our play in recent times, but I much prefer to read people's thoughts on why things aren't working at the present time and what we can do to fix it given the players we have at our disposal.

OK, watched the replay. We weren't that bad. Sure we looked rusty, and we haven't quite gelled. Too many new faces and people just not where teammates thought they would be. Not ready for the handball receive, not switching over to the running player on the mark, not covering the GWS outlet player. All the stuff you expect from younger players and guys without many games under their belt, or a team without many games together. We will improve.

Papley looked OK. Liked his effort, and the fact he's a bit nimble at ground level. Hope he gets another game next week.

I loved the fact that Tom Papley knew the troops were coming in the third quarter when he was given a hospital pass but he actually moved back and owned the ground. Took the space and turned a rotten kick into a chest mark. Very clever boy. Thinking far beyond his years and brave too. But what he did was effectively stop the troops (2 GWS players) in their tracks by owning the space.

I don't entirely agree with you over the 'no worries'. I think even Horse would have been worried with that hit out. It was incredibly bad. We didn't chase. We didn't run. We didn't make position. We were static and lazy. Having said that the players could revolt over the revolting game plan. Never going to win a premiership with this game-plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind seeing Buddy up the ground at times taking on opponents, he's a big guy who can impose himself on the contest. Just need players forward of the ball. I really don't know why they all get sucked into the contest.

I loved the fact that Tom Papley knew the troops were coming in the third quarter when he was given a hospital pass but he actually moved back and owned the ground. Took the space and turned a rotten kick into a chest mark. Very clever boy. Thinking far beyond his years and brave too. But what he did was effectively stop the troops (2 GWS players) in their tracks by owning the space.

I don't entirely agree with you over the 'no worries'. I think even Horse would have been worried with that hit out. It was incredibly bad. We didn't chase. We didn't run. We didn't make position. We were static and lazy. Having said that the players could revolt over the revolting game plan. Never going to win a premiership with this game-plan.

It's s**t to watch can't imagine how it is to play that way week in week out.

The first 2 NAB games is exactly how we played for the most of 2015.

Sorry to interrupt, but I've seen a few posts here (and over the course) that Horse isn't up to it as a senior coach.
Seems strange given he's taken the side to 2 GF's, one premiership and unfortunately has had bad injuries at the tail end of the year (plus contending when Hawthorn are).

Apart from the game plan issues, which even I can see flaws in (for mine not major because you only need to grind out the wins you know you'll get to be top 4, and it's anyone's game from there) it would seem to me the biggest issue at Sydney is the fitness staff.
Far too often for mine the same players are doing soft tissue injuries and it's often come finals you guys limp through because you don't have a best 22 on the park.

Would the results of Longmire be different if you guys had a good (my observation) fitness staff that kept the players fit and roaring in the finals.
It often looks like you peak halfway through the year and die out.

My 2c's anyway, either that or is the club just content with where it's at and complacency is the biggest issue? (Mind you, easy thing to do after a surprise flag)

I'm sorry but it isn't fitness as such that is the problem. Certainly we had some issues and we have a new fitness coach. An NRL coach and that worries me because their fitness levels are nowhere near ours. But the game plan is worrying for me as it doesn't change and Horse has only got Plan A & Plan B and both do not involve hitting up a forward on the lead. Our forwards must go home after a game and think 'I'd love to play for Hawks, Eagles, Freo, Tigers, Cats, Roos where they actually look before kicking the ball to the forwards. Our mids just blaze away out of the clearances only to see the ball come back twice as fast. No structure kicking to forwards. Bomb, Bomb, Bomb. No shepherding and they don't practice it in reality. A few blocking drills that are as soft as melting butter. In the old days they would have been half killing each other at training practicing the shepherding and blocking drills.

My only concern is disposal by foot we just turn it over too much and when it isnt turned over its hardly a kick to our advantage.

When inside our defensive 50 we should just kick a torpedo as far as possible because even that will be better than smith rampe or grundy trying short innacurate passes.

With Mitchell parker and kennedy getting quick kicks from clearances forwards need to be in front, which wasnt happening last night.

Surely after last night Papley will get elevated and play rd1, a genuine small forward which we haven't had since Morton.

GWS are a genuine top 4 side chance so long as Mumford and Davis play all year, so last nights loss is hardly suprising given the talent on that list.

This could be a a year a lot like 2010, finals still a chance but no realalistic chance of flag. We need to find the players that will add to the current list, not just players that make up the numbers. Papley Mills Heeney and Dawson all look talented but will need 2 years before they start to make their mark. Obviously Mills and Heeney will be play seniors all year. But i want to see the other youngsters get game time.

2014 was a huge miss, 2015 ruined by injury. We must start to plan for the future or risk being like saints post ross lyon.

My only concern is disposal by foot we just turn it over too much and when it isnt turned over its hardly a kick to our advantage.

When inside our defensive 50 we should just kick a torpedo as far as possible because even that will be better than smith rampe or grundy trying short innacurate passes.

With Mitchell parker and kennedy getting quick kicks from clearances forwards need to be in front, which wasnt happening last night.

Surely after last night Papley will get elevated and play rd1, a genuine small forward which we haven't had since Morton.

GWS are a genuine top 4 side chance so long as Mumford and Davis play all year, so last nights loss is hardly suprising given the talent on that list.

This could be a a year a lot like 2010, finals still a chance but no realalistic chance of flag. We need to find the players that will add to the current list, not just players that make up the numbers. Papley Mills Heeney and Dawson all look talented but will need 2 years before they start to make their mark. Obviously Mills and Heeney will be play seniors all year. But i want to see the other youngsters get game time.

2014 was a huge miss, 2015 ruined by injury. We must start to plan for the future or risk being like saints post ross lyon.

the future is now when you sign a megastar to a multimillion dollar contract in his prime...

We made our bed when we signed Franklin on a 9 year contract and that bed said that we are expected to be at the pointy end of finals for the next 5 years because after that we are going to have a handicap compared to the rest of the competition for another 4 years.

We made our bed when we signed Franklin on a 9 year contract and that bed said that we are expected to be at the pointy end of finals for the next 5 years because after that we are going to have a handicap compared to the rest of the competition for another 4 years.
Franklins best was 2014 it will now be a gradual decrease. He will still pull off some magic but we can't expect him to carry the forward line.

I'm watching the replay.
We kick the first goal.
Razor and the bald cheat then combine to give GWS 7 free kicks in a row - gifting them absolutely undeserved momentum and high possession - meaning our guys are under defensive pressure for the next 20 minutes. I saw multiple in the backs and our blokes being taken out - but umpires "choose" to ignore this.

So - it's a practice game, it means nothing - except GWS will not only get 27 million bucks from the AFL this year - they'll have the umpires under AFL instruction as well.

I'm watching the replay.
We kick the first goal.
Razor and the bald cheat then combine to give GWS 7 free kicks in a row - gifting them absolutely undeserved momentum and high possession - meaning our guys are under defensive pressure for the next 20 minutes. I saw multiple in the backs and our blokes being taken out - but umpires "choose" to ignore this.

So - it's a practice game, it means nothing - except GWS will not only get 27 million bucks from the AFL this year - they'll have the umpires under AFL instruction as well.
Yep!!!

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

I'm watching the replay.
We kick the first goal.

The umpiring across league in general fills me with contempt. I honestly think it's the main issue with the game. I don't mind if a free is called, but be consistent. It's disgraceful that the umps seem to change their interpretation week to week.

After watching the replay I have to agree the umpires robbed us
They really didn't let us play our normal pricise execution skill way
They just made us bomb away to our numbered contest and happy handball to but others under more pressure

Plus the venue was an unknown

Remove this Banner Ad

Back