Review NAB CHALLENGE rd 2. GC v GWS @ Blacktown

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't able to watch the game but monitored the stats

Only positive out of that game was it looks like pencilling Ryan Griffen into my dream team wasn't a bad move

From Rocket:

Speaking after the match, Suns coach Rodney Eade said he was hopeful Lynch would be available for the Suns’ next pre-season outing - against Brisbane at Metricon Stadium on March 20.

“It looked like Buntine was fine. He got up and continued to play the game. Tom said he just whizzed past and just scraped him,” Eade said.

“He said it slipped up a little bit but he didn’t seem too concerned about it.

“The umpire was right there and didn’t report him.

“I don’t think there was sufficient force but we’ll just wait and see.”

What's up with Matera? 2 games and hasn't looked likely in either. Just getting some ground time in due to a lack of a pre-season?
Pretty much. Matera has also suffered from not having the best entries coming into him, and really requires more talls to work off of. Having just Lynch is difficult. And then (when Lynch went off) no-one? Not worried about him.

My review of the players:

12 of our regulars missing, most of them the midfield, and it really showed. :( Swallow was our only mid who showed something, with everyone else who rotated there (I even saw Tape roving at one stage) completely demolished by the GWS starters like Ward, Griffin and Shiel.

Bennell very good, starting to really warm into it with his one touch disposals. I still think he'll play mostly forward this year.

Saad very good again. He looks to have very good disposal off half-back and backs his pace to blow past his opponent.

Kolodjashnij very good. Slowly building.

Malceski good, but he looks like he's cruising around in third gear really.

McKenzie good. Took some good intercept marks and kicked a goal. Finally!

I thought Leslie was very good on Cameron. He conceded marks far up the wing, but Leslie was very good on him all game. Quite surprising actually.

Smith and Nicholls (as expected) really cancelled each other out in terms of effectiveness. Smith is not a forward. He's a ruck that can take a grab drifting forward. Nicholls can't even do that, so I would take Smith at this stage.

Still impressed with Touk Miller. Inside work is outstanding. Surprised Rocket didn't rotate him through the midfield more often.

Stanley and Shaw worst on for us, which is really disappointing given they were supposed to be our senior players with everyone else missing. Both may have actually played themselves OUT of the round 1 team.

Pleasantly happy with Lonergan. He's doing exactly what we drafted him for (finally), and was the only one who gave Swallow any help in the midfield.

Gorringe on a wing has failed in spectacular fashion. Also failed as a KPD. McCarthy destroyed him in about five minutes, so not sure what's left.

Glenn did a few things of note, but nothing awesome. Good first game.

Lemmens showed some glimpses of his magic, will be better for the run.

Tape courageous and tries his guts out, but don't let him kick the ball!

Very young team, did alright for 3 quarters against an almost full strength GWS from what I could tell.

No doom and gloom in a NAB cup game. The real one we will probably want to be winning is against Brisbane in 2 weeks.
How many players did us have out of your best 22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie dixion. John Patton
Gary Ablett. Adam treloar
Jaeger O'MeARA. Rhys palmer
Dion Prestia Devon smith
Micheal rischetelli. Tom scully
Steven may. Tim mohr
Rory Thompson/ jarrod Harbrow. Shane Mumfond

Charlie dixon > John Patton
Gary Ablett > Adam treloar
Jaeger O'MeARA > Rhys palmer
Dion Prestia > Devon smith
Micheal rischetelli >Tom scully
Steven may > Tim mohr
Rory Thompson/ jarrod Harbrow >Shane Mumford
Sam Day > ???
Mitch Hallahan > ????

EFA

Giants were the better team today no doubt but to suggest your outs were anything near ours is ludicrous.

Looking very much forward to our next match.

I really, really wish we had a tagger, no one tags hard in the nab cup but I can't see who could or should play that role for us

Yeah good point. Seems like a lot of the top teams have a dedicated shut-down man- a Ling or a Crowley type is invaluable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back